PLATEAU STAGE HELP!

xmillax
xmillax Posts: 23
edited September 26 in Motivation and Support
i have plateaued for the past two weeks with my weight loss.. before that i was loosing around 2-3lbs a week ... i have changed hardly anything except made my portion sizes slightly smaller just because i don't need as much food anymore but this is a calorific change of about 100 calories... any ideas!

Replies

• rubinavarma
    rubinavarma Posts: 5 Member
    I am in the same boat. I have started to gain weight
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Instead of lowering your calories, you may try upping them. Your BMR has probably gone up and using up more calories just keeping you alive! Try to add in a couple hundred calories or have a cheat day,those can help!
  • blizzies
    blizzies Posts: 5
    me too! it's been two weeks and i have stayed within +1lb or stayed the same weight. prior to that, i was losing 1-2 lbs a week. i am doing more exercising, but also doing resting. i have also tried to minimize my carb intake. hopefully, this will help get me over this hump. jillian michaels suggests to shock the system by eating more than you usually eat. maybe our bodies are thinking that we are at the starvation mode. i haven't tried it, i am scared to go over my calories for the day. but i am reading more about it. good luck to you guys also! :)
  • jaymark
    jaymark Posts: 18 Member
    I just went through one myself. After a steady weight loss I leveled out for about two weeks actually I gained a pound or two. I hate when the scale moves the wrong way. I actually slightly increased my calorie intake but spread it our through the day. I also kick up my exercise a notch. I think I broke through since the scale is moving in the right direction. From what I have read you need to keep your metabolism running high. If you cut back too much your body slows down and you burn fewer calories
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    change your exercise. if you walk on a treadmill, try using the elliptical. if you have a dvd that you work out to, buy a new one. i like leslie sansone, walk at home. she shows you how to "walk like a runner" i have an HRM and i burn a ton of calories when i do it. she has several dvds, i have the 5 mile one. also, it might be a good idea to go over your calories by a few hundred for one day. i know it sounds counterproductive, but that can really boost your matabolism. it always works for me!! i hope this helps, good luck!
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Check at your gym or fitness place and see if they have HIIT classes there. If you want to break a plateau then do this. I worked out with a lady in her 60's in my HIIT class I have. After her 21 day trial where I am at she had a 10 pound exchange of muscle and fat. Lost 7 pounds of fat and gained 3 pounds of muscle as well as an 1.5" of muscle on her legs. These workouts are like basic training for sure..Trust me I did basic training the real one.

I burn on average in an HIIT class from 400-800 calories in 45 minutes.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Bump.... trying to figure it all out myself and no time to read all the suggestions right now. Looking forward to taking that time later though :)
  • rubinavarma
    hi what is HIIT
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    hi what is HIIT

High Intensity Interval Training.

What we do in ours is squats, push ups, monkey in the middle with sand bags, flipping tires, crunches and the list goes on and on..you rarely do the same exercise more than every few weeks. The workouts are all of these but in short bursts followed by short breaks then short bursts again... anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes on average.. Some of the exercises we do we are 10 seconds on and 10 seconds off, or front back up.

Pushups for 20 seconds crunches for 20 seconds then jumping jacks for 20 seconds...10 seconds off and repeat for 4 minutes. There is NO break in between the 20 second exercises..you have to switch as fast as possible.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Two weeks is not a platueau. Not yet. It's a normal part of dieting. I wouldn't be surprised if you see a big drop in the next week or so.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Let me tell you what I do and find works for me. I have been losing 4 lbs a week for 11 weeks and only one week did I lose less and that was 2 lbs. I have switched things up every couple of weeks. I was eating about 1100 calories to begin with so I added about 200-300 calories to my diet. Sometimes thats hard as I am not really hungry but I don't want my body to go into starvation mode. I also have changed my type of exercise as the weeks have moved along. I started out walking.. which I still do but I also use the pool and get exercise. I also have started at the gym doing strength training and the treadmill. I have dvd's with Zumba that I do a few times a week or go to a class. I just try to vary what I do but burn between 1000-2000 calories a day without fail. I also watch my sodium religiously and NEVER go over 2500 mg. I have just recently started watching the glycemic index in food and not eat foods that are high. You can google glycemic index and get a list.
    If this seems like all this is too time consuming it really isnt but you cant change it all at once as then it would be. I just mix things up to keep my body guessing. The 2 things I do not do is 1- do a cheat day and 2-skip a day of exercise. reasoning is that I am afraid if I do a cheat day that one day will turn into 2 and 2 into 3 etc.. My life style change is not yet complete and I can't trust myself.. Also I dont skip a day of exercise but I do reduce it if I am not home enough that day but I do some..
    Just some ideas to help get you off your plateau.

Friend me if you would like and message me if you would like more detailed info.

Good luck!

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • rubinavarma
    Sounds like real fun, need to find a gym that does this kind of training. I did read about this on a med students blog Skeng'strainginglog on google. he has written very interesting stuff.

thanks
  • xmillax
    xmillax Posts: 23
    thank you everyone for your help.. maybe this week i should try a couple days of higher intake and see if it kick starts anything! will also start running this week rather than biking! fingers crossed and good luck everyone :) ! xx
This discussion has been closed.