i'm new

Options
just turned 35....the last year we've grown found of eating out and let's face it...i cook quick meals instead of healthy ones just because 1) lack of time 2) lol, lack of interest. 3) not real sure how to cook real vegetables. anyways, the middle age spread has showed it's ugly face and i need to lose 20 pounds to feel good where i once was..anymore than that would be uncomfortable ( seeing as i have some wide hips!) all i need is some POSITIVE ENCOURAGEMENT, instead of walking by certain people and them going BOOM, BOOM, BOOM...IT Really just pisses me off and does not help. i weigh a sloppy (due to not exercising like i used too) 140 and am 5 foot 4......My biggest challenge is eating the right foods..i've tried..but really i think they are gross..lol i like carrots and cauliflower and let's face it if that's all u eat u begin to be sick of it too...i love salads...the problem i only like western french dressing and lets face it....i can consume a days calories just off of my condiments! it's a work in progress...but please if u have any simple, quick vege recipes please send them i will definetly try them.....i am wanting to make a lifestyle change for me and my kids! i don't want my kids as adults only wanting cheese and beef. lol thanks for reading. katina

Replies

• missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    hi welcome and gd luck:smile:
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Good luck on your journey :)
  • Jennid27
    Jennid27 Posts: 15
    Options
    Our lives are busy and frozen veggies are as nutritious as fresh. Green giant boxed veggie blend with barley is amazing. I bring it to work for lunch with a veggie burger or leftover pork chop or chicken. My coworkers flock in to see what smells so good. Filling too. Switch to a lite honey mustard dressing..newsman's makes a delicious one or pomegranate balsamic..add berries, dried cranberries, goat cheese and a few nuts to salad and you won't miss the fatty dressing. Soon they'll be jealous of you!
  • byrdiekatina
    Options
    thank you! great ideas, will be heading to store for those things. i'll try anything!
  • byrdiekatina
    Options
    looks like you're doing great! you'll be there in no time!
  • byrdiekatina
    Options
    thank you!
  • dw091804
    dw091804 Posts: 1
    Options
    Be sure to read the nutrition labels on the foods you buy and eat. Don't be afraid to 'measure' your food before you cook it or put it on your plate.

You can make meals at home with 1/3 the calories you would have if you ate at a restaurant.

Make sure you get enough protein and fiber and minimize the amount of carbs you don't have to cut them completely, If it is 'white' (potatoes, rice, bread, flour) stay away from it. Switch to whole grain high fiber alternatives. It is a process, switch out one thing at a time.

I agree with getting the frozen veggies, fresh are great too, but canned can be the worst, they have lots of added preservatives and salt and are often over processed. Remember those nasty peas they served in school?