Anyone starting training after injuries?

Options
Hi,

I was quite fit (for me anyways) about a year ago, despite being obese, although not as bad back then as I am now.

A year ago I got achillies tendonitis, which has turned into a tendonapathy. A physio told me I will never be able to walk long distances again. I could barley walk for most of last year, so I was pleased before Christmas when I was able to walk short distances and managed to get around a supermarket and a few shops when out and about again. I was buliding myself up, and starting to go to the gym again and just over a month ago someone crashed their car into the side of mine. I had the normal whiplash which cleared up within a few weeks. Sadly my knees hit the dash board, and have been bad since, as you can imagine my walking is terrible, and I have put on loads of weight as I can't walk really. My children said i should give up and go into a wheel chair, i can't do that, as what example will I give them as they have hms also. So the knees are getting slowly a little better, and I have an appointment with a physio on tuesday, and the xray results should come through in a while.

I have a hyper mobility syndrome which has caused problems.

I have gym membership and it has a lovely pool, walking there is the problem from the car park, so what can I do to get a bit of cardio going and some weight training as I am hypermobile and I can't let things go or will end up even more disabled than I am right now!?

Replies

• ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Do you control your diet? What you eat is more important than how much you exercise, and you can lose TONS of weight by simply controlling your dietary/caloric intake.

That said, if you must ride the wheelchair into the gym to use the pool, then do it. You want to lose the weight and get healthier? What's standing in your way besides you?
  • blessed9993
    blessed9993 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am no doctor, but how about some excersizes while sitting down just to get you started? I'm sure your physio can recomend some things like lifting soup cans and leg lifts in the chair. In the meantime watch what you eat and how much. Drink lots of water to keep hydrated. A little can go a long way then nothing at all I always say. I have sever fibromyalgia and I'm doing heavy cardio and weight lifting now. Before I couldn't hardly walk or lift my arms. Taking the weight off has made me feel so much better. Don't get me wrong, I still have bad days and hurt like heck, but I just keep pushing along. Good luck to you. I hope all goes well.
  • sweetwilliams
    Options
    What is stopping me taking a wheelchair to the gym, many things. I don't own one, the cost, how to you transport it to and from the gym, who will push me etc... also my exh's cousin and her friend go there, and I hate the idea that they see me fat and walking badly as it is, the idea of them laughing at me or pitying me regarding a wheelchair or laughing at my situation with my exh and his new wife he left me for is not something I want. The other gyms locally don't have a pool.

No I am not taking care of my diet, I have been eating to comfort, as I had a lot of stress in the past few years and put on a lot of weight. Food has been my comfort and one of the few pleasures I have had in life the past few years.
  • sweetwilliams
    Options
    I am sorry to hear you have had health problems. Well done you for keep going too.

I can't get up and down the stairs easily, I sleep downstairs mostly, and go up and down every two days for a shower, thankfully we have a downstairs cloak room.

I will ask the physio for some exercises.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try doing some low-impact water training to strengthen your muscles and joints. Swimming is great for joint problems while not putting pressure on the joints. :)
  • sweetwilliams
    Options
    Maybe you should try doing some low-impact water training to strengthen your muscles and joints. Swimming is great for joint problems while not putting pressure on the joints. :)

yes i would like to get back to swimming, i need to see the physio first to see if I can swim yet after the knee injury, I can swim with the achillies tendonapathy. The issue really is the long walk to the changing rooms which are at the far end of the gym and the pool, on top of the car park. I have appllied for a car parking blue badge and made an application for dla (in UK).
  • rosiedoes
    rosiedoes Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation, hon.

As it happens, I'm hypermobile and have major problems with my left Achilles at the moment. I was playing roller derby for nearly a year when it turned out the reason I was in pain was because my left calf is extremely taut and either as a result of that, or the cause of that (we can't really tell), it seems I may have spent most of that time skating on a torn Achilles.

I had an MRI a few weeks ago, had to give up skating (which was, at the time, burning quite a lot of calories over the space of four-six hours a week) and I'm waiting on the results to see if they're going to do an operation to cut through my calf and loosen the tendon, or possibly debulk the scar tissue on the tendon itself, by literally cutting that chunk out and sewing the ends together.

I can walk - I've even done cross-country hiking in the last few weeks - but that's more because I have a near-pathological need to prove I'm badass and 'it's just a scratch'. I probably shouldn't be walking long distances at all, but I can't swim, so it's the only exercise I can really do.

My advice to you, first of all, is not to give up. Can you get any support or advice from your doctor? Sometimes, they will prescribe - literally prescribe - gym-based therapy. They did for me to help me deal with the hypermobility. What have they actually done to your ankle to improve your condition? Have you had an operation to restore it?

In the short term, you should maybe consider a wheelchair, just so that you can rest your legs until they've healed more. There's no shame in that at all - if anything, it's the sensible option, because until those are healed, you're going to keep setting them back, if you're putting too much strain on them. The NHS may even be able to loan you one to use when you have to leave the house.

Your strength in dealing with this is admirable, but there's another lesson you could be teaching your children, too - that knowing when to accept some help makes you as strong a person as being in control of your own life does. <3

Edit: Take a look at this link. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/HealthAndSupport/Equipment/DG_4000495
  • sweetwilliams
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation, hon.

As it happens, I'm hypermobile and have major problems with my left Achilles at the moment. I was playing roller derby for nearly a year when it turned out the reason I was in pain was because my left calf is extremely taut and either as a result of that, or the cause of that (we can't really tell), it seems I may have spent most of that time skating on a torn Achilles.

I had an MRI a few weeks ago, had to give up skating (which was, at the time, burning quite a lot of calories over the space of four-six hours a week) and I'm waiting on the results to see if they're going to do an operation to cut through my calf and loosen the tendon, or possibly debulk the scar tissue on the tendon itself, by literally cutting that chunk out and sewing the ends together.

I can walk - I've even done cross-country hiking in the last few weeks - but that's more because I have a near-pathological need to prove I'm badass and 'it's just a scratch'. I probably shouldn't be walking long distances at all, but I can't swim, so it's the only exercise I can really do.

My advice to you, first of all, is not to give up. Can you get any support or advice from your doctor? Sometimes, they will prescribe - literally prescribe - gym-based therapy. They did for me to help me deal with the hypermobility. What have they actually done to your ankle to improve your condition? Have you had an operation to restore it?

In the short term, you should maybe consider a wheelchair, just so that you can rest your legs until they've healed more. There's no shame in that at all - if anything, it's the sensible option, because until those are healed, you're going to keep setting them back, if you're putting too much strain on them. The NHS may even be able to loan you one to use when you have to leave the house.

Your strength in dealing with this is admirable, but there's another lesson you could be teaching your children, too - that knowing when to accept some help makes you as strong a person as being in control of your own life does. <3

Edit: Take a look at this link. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/HealthAndSupport/Equipment/DG_4000495

How nice to hear from someone else with hms!

I am sorry to hear that your AT has been affected also.

The Rhumy gave me exercise as a prescription as you say, it was difficult to go to the gym to do things, I got a band from the physio and did some exercises, and had a bit of bad luck when working with the physio as caused another problem that affected muscles in my foot, caused by hms! I rested that and when it got better did the exercises again, I am starting them up again, as the knee injury meant that I could not straighten my knees or bend well, I am working on stretching my knees now and the achillies tendon is streching also.

I know you are right, about asking for help, I have asked in the past and the help was not there when required, false promises were made or not the help needed, or the help came at a cost in different ways that is not always worth it, so you get to the point of not bothering. I have asked for help from ss, and again over a month later, nothing has come, they come and listen and do nothing! Supposidly I was to be given a stair lift and something to support me in the shower, nothing has happened! still no ot!

I am sorry to hear you have to have an operation, the rhuym didn't mention anything like that needing doing for the tendonisits in the achillies, just told me to try and stay out of a wheelchair if possible, which I have done, I have rested, and am bloody bored of it, hope that the physio will give me the ok for swimming, and I will just have to hobble along the corridor and stand and have rests intermitantly, and hope that the ex's cousin and her friend are not there to see me when I go, I went to see the rhumy before the knee acccident as I needed a report for something else, I saw him privately.

I got an xray ordered by the gp, after a month of knee problems, and I have to have a medical for that next month as there is an injury claim going throuh the insurance, but I am not sure if they just report or if they actually give advice also?

I would be happy to just be able to stand in the shower without feeling unstable in the knees and to be able to walk as I could even though it was not great before the accident, it was better than it is now! fingers crossed!