Any good beginner weight training/toning DVDs?

Options
I did cardio based DVDs for a few months and I really hated it so I want to try something that focuses just on strength building and toning to hopefully combat loose skin in all the problem areas, I'm just over half way to my goal and I have some pretty bad loose skin on my arms already, and I can see my whole body getting that stretched look which I don't like it. I want to fill my problem areas with muscle if possible but I don't really know where to start so a DVD would be perfect, something I can just follow that works.

I have resistance bands and some dumbbells.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of any true strength training DVDs... something like P90X is probably as close as it gets, but that's not really strength training in it's truest form.

Why not do some reading on beginner plans (starting strength, you are your own gym, etc) and find one that works for you?

I'll let someone else address the issues of loose skin and "filling problem areas with muscle", but I think you might need to evaluate your expectations.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Check out the "Get Ripped" series with Jari Love. The Get Ripped and Chiseled dvd is as close to a barbell or body pump class workout as I've found.
    Also, Kelly Coffey-Meyer has some great weight training dvds as well. I have a couple of those workouts that I like as well. Both series are available on Amazon
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian Michaels for Beginners, it's very basic, uses bodyweight or dumbells and has cardio intervals as well to keep the heart rate up
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Jackie Warner strength DVDs. That woman might be the devil, I can typically barely lift my arms to wash my hair after a workout.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Unless any of said dvds include barbells and weight plates, I would not call them strength training.

That being said. Look into startingstrength.com or stronglifts.com. If you are willing to spend the money on a bowflex? You could outfit a reasonable home gym with basic barbell, bench and rack. (unless bowflex has come down in price a ton?)
  • melsal9902
    melsal9902 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I subscribe to LIVEEXERCISE.com. It has really expanded over the years and they have live shows on a schedule or they have a ton of archived shows that you can do anytime. It is by subscription which really is inexpensive compared to doing the same dvd over and over. Log on and look it over...there is something for everyone
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has some good videos that include strength training. If you're using weights then you're strength training and if there's a little cardio tossed in there even better :) I have a couple programs on my tablet that are nothing but lifting weights, very basic, but it gives me something to follow. My gym has Fitness on Demand and a friend and I do different videos a couple times a week. There are two or three that literally when we're done we are exhausted and we feel like jello...mission accomplished :D
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I agree: Jillian Michaels videos all the way! Her video, No More Trouble Zones, focuses on strength training, but has some cardio incorporated in order to keep the heart rate up. It's pretty tough.
  • orchidee1987
    orchidee1987 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm personally a big fan of Chris Freitags' and Chritine Carey's (GymRa) workouts on youtube. Combinaison of dumbells exercises and bodyweights ones.
    I just can't stand Jillian Michaels and find her workouts really short
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Check out Cathe Friedrich she has some true strength training workouts that use barbells and dumbbells.
  • davmeis
    davmeis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Body Beast. Haven't done it myself so I can't give any insight. I have seen some posts on here about it though