Gaining muscle while in calorie deficit?

Options
Hi! I hope I'm not going to sound stupid but I've read on several posts that you cannot gain muscle while in calorie deficit. Is this correct? I am eating at calorie deficit and have really increased my exercise; both cardio and strength training over the past 2 months. My weight hasn't dropped much but I've lost inches so I just presumed I was gaining muscle which was masking my weight loss. Also I am not far from weight goal.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No, you cannot. What are your stats? If you don't have much to lose, it can take some time.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The above poster is correct in your case. You are probably too lean. It is hard to gain muscle

You can, you have to have a few things all going for you, it is like having all the stars lined up. Someone will come along and explain it.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/362906-can-you-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit/
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    yes, you can I have and continue to do so but its a lot slower gain than if you were eating at a surplus. genetics also play a large part in how much muscle you gain and how quickly.
  • Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've got about 7lbs to go, mostly tummy area. I've lost about 58+ lbs, slowly over the last 3 1/2 years, exercising for the most part. What's puzzling me is that I've lost an inch off my waist, hips and thighs in the last few weeks (which I am pleased about) but only about 1llb lost in the same time frame.
  • lorib642
    Options
    Congratulations 58lbs is wonderful. I am just starting and I would like to lose about that much. I wish I had some answers for you.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    With 7 pounds to go, half a pound per week is about the most you can expect to lose. You have to make sure you're accurately logging and weighing EVERYTHING, as you don't have much room for error. Congratulations on making it this far!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Realistically speaking, no. In a few studies a very minor amount of muscle gain has been observed in very obese people with high protein intake and a progressive overload strength training regimen, but again, even in such specific circumstances it is a very minor amount and is only for a short time.

The reason you cannot gain muscle in a deficit is simple: to synthesize new muscle growth, your body needs something to make it from, and with a calorie deficit you are actually eating fewer calories than your body needs to maintain its current status, so there's nothing left over for creating new muscle.

To create muscle you need to be in a calorie surplus: eating more than your maintenance, so your body has extra energy with which it can create new muscle.

Two main reasons people think they are building muscle when in a deficit: they can see muscle appearing or they are retaining water so their scale weight is not decreasing. water retention is often due to a new exercise program. Water retention only lasts a few days or weeks. It goes away and is just an indication that your muscles are not used to exercise.

Seeing new muscles happens as you lose the fat over the muscle you currently have and it becomes more visible, but that is not an actual muscle gain. If you were gaining muscle mass, your measurements would go up, not down.

Finally, there's a difference between gaining strength and gaining muscle. Gaining strength is possible in a deficit because the muscle you currently have can be trained and become stronger even though your measurements and weight stay the same or decrease. Gaining actual muscle requires an actual measurable mass gain.
  • Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I don't feel worried about the last slowness of weight loss as i feel so fit! Just puzzled about this whole calorie deficit/ muscle gain thing. I will check out the suggested link. I've got to sleep now as I'm in the UK so will check in again!
  • lorib642
    Options
    Realistically speaking, no. In a few studies a very minor amount of muscle gain has been observed in very obese people with high protein intake and a progressive overload strength training regimen, but again, even in such specific circumstances it is a very minor amount and is only for a short time.

The reason you cannot gain muscle in a deficit is simple: to synthesize new muscle growth, your body needs something to make it from, and with a calorie deficit you are actually eating fewer calories than your body needs to maintain its current status, so there's nothing left over for creating new muscle.

To create muscle you need to be in a calorie surplus: eating more than your maintenance, so your body has extra energy with which it can create new muscle.

Two main reasons people think they are building muscle when in a deficit: they can see muscle appearing or they are retaining water so their scale weight is not decreasing. water retention is often due to a new exercise program. Water retention only lasts a few days or weeks. It goes away and is just an indication that your muscles are not used to exercise.

Seeing new muscles happens as you lose the fat over the muscle you currently have and it becomes more visible, but that is not an actual muscle gain. If you were gaining muscle mass, your measurements would go up, not down.

Finally, there's a difference between gaining strength and gaining muscle. Gaining strength is possible in a deficit because the muscle you currently have can be trained and become stronger even though your measurements and weight stay the same or decrease. Gaining actual muscle requires an actual measurable mass gain.

^^^^This

This is a much better explanation than the link I posted.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    My most recent BF% test,I lost 7 pounds total from my last BF test and lost 6 lbs of fat and 1 lb of muscle. I was very happy with that. I lift 5 or 6 days a week --heavy-- I don't think from my experience that you can actually Gain muscle while losing weight but I feel you can minimize the damage by lifting as heavy as you can and eating tons of protein.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've gained approximately 14 pounds of muscle in the last year while staying the same weight and losing fat. I follow a recomp program called Eat to Perform. I have never followed a bulk and cut cycle and I ate at maintenance. IMG_3151_zpsd8bf87c2.jpg January 2014 d9f16980-1050-4c48-a90e-f204480ccdd1_zps7b4372ff.jpg October 2014...same weight, no bulk/cut

You can't see my quads in these pics but my jeans have changed so that what was tight in the waist in January is now loose and the thigh area in my jeans has gotten too small.
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options
    I don't even think you should try to lose 7 pounds. I think you should just start lifting heavy, eat at maintenance, and do a cut later if you don't feel happier in a couple months.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

^This. Good explanation.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't even think you should try to lose 7 pounds. I think you should just start lifting heavy, eat at maintenance, and do a cut later if you don't feel happier in a couple months.

I was trying to lose the weight. I am now at maintenance. I used that as an example of how I was happy while I was losing weight to only lose 1 lb. of muscle and go down 2% in BF.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I've gained approximately 14 pounds of muscle in the last year while staying the same weight and losing fat. I follow a recomp program called Eat to Perform. I have never followed a bulk and cut cycle and I ate at maintenance. IMG_3151_zpsd8bf87c2.jpg January 2014 d9f16980-1050-4c48-a90e-f204480ccdd1_zps7b4372ff.jpg October 2014...same weight, no bulk/cut

You can't see my quads in these pics but my jeans have changed so that what was tight in the waist in January is now loose and the thigh area in my jeans has gotten too small.

Men on steroids, eating at a surplus, and following a strict lifting regimen have a hard time gaining a pound per month of muscle.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Your anecdotal evidence doesn't show gaining muscle in a cal deficit.

so.... I'm not sure why the post.
  • kelly_e_montana
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Okay a lot of people are talking about how you have to be in a surplus, and I'm encouraging the OP to be in maintenance. :) I think the point of the OP was she wants to know what to do next, right? I'm sure she wouldn't just be asking the question for trolling purposes.
  • kelly_e_montana
    Options
    Who knows, maybe she is just making convo. I forget this is the internet. :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You can gain muscle on a deficit under certain limited circumstances, but it is finite and not that much. The circumstances are if you are overweight and/or new to lifting (or more limited, if you are providing stimulus to muscle groups not 'worked' before.

If you have maintained weight but lost inches, you have probably gained some water weight from increasing exercise recently which is masking the 'real' loss. There may be some muscle gain as you are new to lifting (or so I assume), but it will not be much at all (the amount depends on a bunch of individual factors including leanness, amount of deficit, genetics, gender etc).

• Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options

(*) (*) (*)