Motivation issues

Options
Ok, so I really want to start exercising, but I find it extremely difficult to get motivated. So, I was wondering how you guys get yourselves motivated and/or if you have any tips for me

Replies

• zack1st
    Options
    I'm in the same boat so will keep a eye on this thread
  • Trevorcook91
    Trevorcook91 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I need help with that to. I wish I had the energy and motivation that my 11 year a
    old son has.
  • HealthySideofLife
    HealthySideofLife Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When I come home from work, I get dressed right away then head to the gym. I don't like bringing a gym bag, nor do I want to change into gym clothes before I leave work.

If I don't head out right away, I don't want to go at all. But my wedding dress is my ultimate motivation. I weighed 40 less (the end result of losing 80 the first time I tried lost weight). I was fitted for my wedding dress when I was at my lowest. So now that I'm heavier, I need to lose it.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling for the last three weeks and I am not sure why. I think it is the cold, rainy weather we have been having here and not being able to go outside to exercise.

I have decided to do a 100 day challenge of logging all food, doing a mile on the elliptical every day, and some quick weightlifting. I am still trying to decide if I should weigh myself during this time or measure inches lost, BMI, and perform a fitness test using my Polar loop frequently during the 100 days. I think focusing on the numbers on the scale has actually hurt my motivation because I felt like I was doing all the "right" things and nothing was happening according to the scale.

Previously, some things that motivated me: inches lost, pounds dropped, clothes fitting better, losing my double chin and some of my muffin top, easier to walk up stairs, able to hike longer distances, going farther on the elliptical, my technique improving on my pushups, kettlebell swings getting easier and not being as sore the next couple of days after a kettlebell workout, sleeping a little better, eating better which caused my stomach to calm down (some unhealthy things I was eating would almost instantly send me running for the bathroom), my mood seems better, a slight increase in energy, and small rewards for reaching some of my goals. You may want to write out some rewards for every 10 pounds you lose and a larger goal for reaching your ultimate weight.

Also, I started with small exercise goals (about 20 minutes on the bike or 10 minutes on the elliptical 3-4 times a week) and slowly added more minutes each week to prevent burning out and feeling like it was too much too soon.

Good luck! You can add me if you would like.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Motivation is a myth. People who stick with something don't feel it all the time, they do it because it is something that needs to be done. Working out and eating for your goals should belong in the same mental space as going to work and brushing your teeth.
  • dancingwaif
    Options
    short answer: remember how bad you feel if you don't exercise, and how good you feel when you do exercise :)
  • Justcallme_J
    Justcallme_J Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I tell myself I'll only do it for five or ten minutes. I know that once I get started I won't stop at that point since getting going is the hardest part for me. It probably sounds silly and wouldn't work for a lot people, but it definitely helps me with motivation.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Stand up right now and jump up and down for a few minutes. That's a start :) just do it. Today is the day!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I have 20 years on you, but at your age, I felt the same. One thing I realized I enjoyed and could do easily was walk. I would take my Walkman (yes, I said I was 20 years older than you ;) ) and walk around the track. Can you download podcasts or listen to music? You don't notice the laps (if you are near a track). I used to just walk for an hour. It's a start... Funny that I hated exercise so much in my 20s and now, I have found a love of swimming, dancing, running, hiking... Find something, anything, that you enjoy. That's the only way to ensure you'll continue.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I tell myself I'll only do it for five or ten minutes. I know that once I get started I won't stop at that point since getting going is the hardest part for me. It probably sounds silly and wouldn't work for a lot people, but it definitely helps me with motivation.

Actually, according to studies, this does work for most people.

JUST DO IT!

Walk for FIVE MINUTES right now.

For the long term, figure out what you enjoy that will keep you coming back to it.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I don't wait until Im motivated.
  • Borgeteien
    Borgeteien Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I read stuff about health, training and weight loss, and watch Rippetoe and Michael Mattews (muscleforlife) videos to help me stay motivated. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. A book i found helpful (and funny) was "Minihabits" by Stephen Guise. Making things a habbit, and not rely so much on motivation can help. And of course, i hope to get a lot of MFP friends to help my on my way to a leaner, happier life (so feel free to add me people) :)

Sorry for any grammar mistakes, my english is a bit rusty
  • lifestyle70
    lifestyle70 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My motivation stems from 2 things I want out of my life: To seek out new learning, opportunities and experiences in order to live a life that inspires others to do the same and To be able to run, chase, and get on the floor with grandkids if I am fortunate enough to have them.

In order for these 2 things to happen, I need the energy to make them happen - thats what motivates me to make better food choices - that's what motivates me to put on the shoes and go for a run, walk or press play on a workout DVD - that is what motivates me to stay hydrated and get enough sleep at night.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing OP didn't stay motivated, as this was 3 years ago and they have 2 posts...