Angry!!

Options
Just when I think my day is going pretty well...feeling good because my work pants continue to feel like they are falling off tonight (yay). Then I get to my overnight shift and the girl who was working got all pissy with me saying things like"ur skinny enough" and other things all condensing..."well I just eat a cookie or a little debbie snack when I'm hungry"...okay and do I care? No!! Do I get mad at u for eating unhealthy? No! So why are u so mad at me for trying to get into shape? Its not like I want to get super skinny I want to be in shape and like what I see in the mirror! Why is this such a wrong endeavor? Am I missing something? Just because u like urself the way u are and how u eat doesn't mean its for everyone! And I have no idea why this has gotten me so angry....but I am!

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Try not to take it personally. She's probably jealous that she can't make the same changes to her life.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    ...jealousy makes people act ignorant and say stupid things. IGNORE that witch.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You know what? I went through this exact same thing in the last year with some of my co-workers. I had them buy candy bars and offer them to me, which I politely declined. Then they're offended because I didn't take their candy bar. You know I don't eat that stuff, so why buy it for me? I know you don't like protein bars and such - so, it would be like me buying you one of them and offering it to you.

I don't care what anyone else puts in their body. I care what *I* put in MY body. I don't tell you to not drink three 20oz bottles of Coke or eat McDonald's Big Mac's for every meal. I don't care what you eat - but don't be critical of ME.

And I've heard the "You're too skinny" comment a lot. Little do they know that when *I* look in the mirror? I see pudge still. I've been told more than once "You should eat something once in awhile". I'm 5'4" and I'm 150lbs. I wear a size 8/10 pants. I'm NOT too skinny.

I really think when they say those things they are jealous of what you've accomplished and perhaps wish THEY had the willpower to not eat junk, go to the gym and take a step towards being healthy.

Don't let it get you down! :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Part of it may be jealousy, but it may also be that these people see a drastic change and since they're used to seeing you bigger they get concerned. There are a lot of people who don't think that people look overweight or unhealthy even when they're 30 pounds or more overweight. Society as a whole is getting so used to seeing overweight and obese people that they look normal. When people start to lose weight others think they're getting too skinny in comparison with everyone else.

You're doing well with your weight loss, I'm sure the change is visible. Maybe your coworker is jealous, maybe she just has some misplaced concern. Either way, don't let it get to you. Don't worry about what other people think or say. You know your goals are good, keep working toward them!
  • cornflowerblue22
    Options
    I've had the same problem lately. Not from co-workers, but actual friends, which was actually pretty hurtful. I know I'm NOT too skinny and just because I'm calorie conscious doesn't mean I have a problem. It is very frustrating.
  • Twylyght
    Twylyght Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem lately. Not from co-workers, but actual friends, which was actually pretty hurtful. I know I'm NOT too skinny and just because I'm calorie conscious doesn't mean I have a problem. It is very frustrating.

It is so frustrating!! And this isn't the first time she's said something to me!! I'm so glad I have u guys to help me see that I am still working towards my goals and I have u all behind me!!
  • stacimusmax
    stacimusmax Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this one. I too, get the comments of "you don't need to lose weight" or "you're skinny enough".
    I know that I have a ways to go. I am 5'6" and 168 currently. I also live in San Antonio (one of Americas fattest cities). Therefore, just because the norm here is "fat", doesn't mean I have to be the norm.
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Just want to say, laugh and enjoy it.......I simply can't wait to be thin enough that some one may say something like that to me, ha, ha!!!!
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate...

Brush it off! It'll be okay. ;)
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Therefore, just because the norm here is "fat", doesn't mean I have to be the norm.

yeah!
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think it might be jealousy, but do think about your own behavior to see if you might, unwittingly, be fueling this reaction. i have a coworker, skinny little guy, who went on a diet for some reason (he's about 5'10" and 140), and anytime there was food around the office or at social occasions we got to hear all about how he doesn't eat "that stuff" and all the much healthier choices he would make when he got home. I always felt like he was judging the rest of us for eating - not eating unhealthily even, just eating. I sat next to him at a celebration party we had at a local restaurant, and while he virtuously sipped on a club soda (and looked like he was counting the minutes until he could leave) I felt so self-concious I couldn't eat anything. If your new healthier habits have started taking on a holier-than-thou tone, that might also contribute to negativity.
  • Twylyght
    Twylyght Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I do talk about watching what I eat but I also don't say anything to anybody about what they eat...we actually had this conversation when she told me she was going to go home and eat junk food (a cookie and little debbie snack) I told her that was fine and its what she wants...i will definitely not talk to her about anything I eat or want to eat ever again though!
  • stacilynn_1215
    stacilynn_1215 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ive had the same problem with some of my family and other people up here in Minnesota too - mostly things like "but you're so little" (which compared to their 250+ bodies, yes I am, but for my height at 5'5" Im not) or "you dont look like you weigh 155, you carry it so well!" or "you're never going to lose weight starving yourself..." BUT I'M NOT! Im only conscious of what I eat, I am active every single day, and I dont push my way of life on others either...Im only trying to do what is best for me. Ive had so much support here on MFP and cannot express our grateful I am for this support system - as well as my husband and close friends - because I would not have the willpower to keep going without them pushing me to stay positive. :)

We lived in San Diego for 2 1/2 years while my husband was stationed in the Marine Corps there, and the norm there is super skinny. I got all kinds of praise for trying to lose weight and get in shape while we were there...then we came back up north where the norm is to eat lots of "meat and potatoes" or fast food type meals, and drink til you're drunk every single night, and the majority of people are overweight, so they think that because I dont eat fast food, limit my pizza and alcohol intake to a few times a month, and am more active now, that I am falling into an eating disorder or something. Because I take care of myself and do what feels best for my body.

Some people huh? lol you just cant please everybody - at least you know that you are helping YOU. Keep up the great work! 13 lbs is something to be proud of!