portion size

Gee802
Gee802 Posts: 1
edited September 26 in Introduce Yourself
Even though the calorie counter is amazing , somtimes i feel im guessing on the portion sizes (meat,chicken etc.)
I want to try and be more acurate with my calorie intake. Does anyone use a scale to weigh their food? and would you suggest that i buy one?
Thanks Gee

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    IMO, a food scale is essential to properly counting calories. I use mine for everything that isn't a liquid.

You'd be surprised how far wrong you can go with measuring cups and the like.

I have this scale and am quite happy with it, although I have seen many posts from folks on teh forums who have less expensive scales that they also love: http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Scale/dp/B001N0D7GA
  • Zsangel
    Zsangel Posts: 202
    I use a scale for most things, I would definitely recommend getting one!
  • ctsnyder
    ctsnyder Posts: 4
    You definitely need a scale, because in our society we have no idea of portion size. Iit's really important to weigh and measure so you get an idea of what one-half cup of something, or three ounces of something, looks like. For the first few weeks, I even weighed each apple, because "medium" and "large" are so indefinite. After a few weeks, you'll do better at estimating.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    I use my scale for just about everything, including some liquids.... place bowl on turn on scale, add cereal amount I want, zero scale, add fluid to level I want.
    It's been a big part of getting my portions under control, that and watching labels on prepared foods for the sodium amount per serving, doesn't take much if you're having more than the "seemingly small" servings to be at your daily limit from one food item.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Absolutely! It is amazing how much we do not know about portion size! A digital scale can be bought pretty economically at store like Target of (ick) Walmart, or on line with Amazon.
    I also fully love the heart rate monitor I bought at Target, New Balance. They are all different in measurng etc so you should figure out what heart monitor would best fit your level of exercise
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Definately get a scale. It makes a huge difference. I also have a set of measuring cups and spoons that I carry everywhere.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,013 Member
    I have a scale, but I don't use it. I am lazy. I don't want to get it dirty. lol. I use the "deck of cards" to size things up. For me, I was the person who ate WAY too much, so I have cut my portions in 1/2 and it is working for me. I was eating over 3000 calroies a day, no joke. I was way out of control. lol
  • chantel111184
    chantel111184 Posts: 124 Member
    also wanted to ask a question on portion size, In the food diary when it says 1 cup how much is that in oz, grams?

For example 1cup of brocolli
  • Atlantique
    also wanted to ask a question on portion size, In the food diary when it says 1 cup how much is that in oz, grams?

For example 1cup of brocolli

It would all depend on how finely it's cut or whether it's whole and whether it's raw or cooked. Think of the difference between 1 Cup of sugar cubes vs. 1 Cup of granulated sugar vs. 1 Cup of powdered sugar. They'd have wildly different weight due to the difference in air space around the sugar in the cup.

My scale came with a book that lists calories per ounce in most common foods. Here's another place you can find things by the ounce: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2356/2

On many food pacakges, the gram measurement will be listed next to the cup measurement in parentheses. Not everyone enters that into MFP's database though.
  • Atlantique
    I have a scale, but I don't use it. I am lazy. I don't want to get it dirty. lol. I use the "deck of cards" to size things up. For me, I was the person who ate WAY too much, so I have cut my portions in 1/2 and it is working for me. I was eating over 3000 calroies a day, no joke. I was way out of control. lol

How would you get it dirty? Does it have an attached bowl or something?
This discussion has been closed.