How to not eat junk and gain weight over Christmas?

Options
So I'm flying back to see my Mum for Christmas, and I just know theres going to be loads of junk food. Quality street, gingerbread, mince pies, Christmas cake - its endless! I would love to know how I can resist all of these temptations and save my treat day for Christmas day.
I really do not want to gain any weight - I just want to eat as healthy as I can. But its harder than it is for me right now, as my mum likes to give big portions and make desserts etc, like most mothers basically haha.
I have come so far and really, REALLY, do not want December to be my undoing.
Thank you :)

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Exercise in the days leading up so you have a calorie deficit going in. Explain to mum that you've worked really hard and don't let her fix your plate. If you binge, move on and don't beat yourself up. (I've let a single binge ruin my diet in previous attempts--no more!!!) Remember that even if you come back a little heavier, it takes 3500 extra calories to form a pound and it's likely water weight because you probably didn't drink your eight glasses a day/ate too many salty foods.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Accept that you will eat Christmas foods and that you will probably gain weight, its what many do. Why would adding weight over the festive period be your undoing, is there some reason why you wouldn't be able to return to what you are doing now after Christmas is over?

For me I would feel miserable not eating and drinking with family and friends so will do so and lose what I gain by counting calories and exercising afterwards
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Start building up a bank of calories right now, say 50 - 100 less per day until Christmas as long as it is healthy for you to do so, and you're not going under your BMR. Considering Christmas is 39 days away, that'll give you an extra 1950 - 3900 calories in the grand scheme of things. You'll lose about an extra pound from your normal progression, but then you'll make it back up by eating however you want over the holiday.

After that, just return to exactly what you're doing now, and you'll be no worse off than you were before.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You can have all of those things...just practice a little self control and portion control. You don't have to eat all the foodz all at once...

It's not the food items or "junk" that's going to make you put on weight...it's going off the rails and just mindlessly eating *kitten* tons of it...you don't have to do that...it's all up to you...the ball is completely in your court here. You make a conscious decision to exercise a little self control or you don't..pretty simple.
  • eddiemac617
    eddiemac617 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have stopped smoking and drinking, however, I have a terrific sweet tooth. This is my greatest weaknest, and the holidays are filled with rich desserts. I am worried too.
  • TheTiagooo
    TheTiagooo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Christmas is 39 days away?? Woah!

I'm in a very similar situation. What I've done is I've told the family that I'll cook for them over the holidays, which will allow me to know what goes into the food and keep on track. But I'll allow myself one week of relaxing my diet between christmas and new years, with the knowledge that it's no damage that two weeks back in the routine won't rectify.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I save up some calories from a few weeks, and use those vacation days to take lots of family hikes, and throw in some extra workouts after it's all over. Enjoy the holiday food, it's only once a year.
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If your a snacker then snack on veggies. If you have a carrot in your mouth you won't be putting a cookie in.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Moderation if you can. If you can't, just tell yourself that one cookie will lead to 2... then 6, and just don't eat that first cookie until Christmas day.

It's my plan this year, who knows if I'll have the willpower though. Or just enjoy it and lose the weight in January like everyone else, lol!
  • TheTiagooo
    TheTiagooo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If your a snacker then snack on veggies. If you have a carrot in your mouth you won't be putting a cookie in.

That doesn't work for most people, I imagine. A carrot is basically the opposite of a cookie, so I doubt it would help much if you specifically wanted a cookie.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    So I'm flying back to see my Mum for Christmas, and I just know theres going to be loads of junk food. Quality street, gingerbread, mince pies, Christmas cake - its endless! I would love to know how I can resist all of these temptations and save my treat day for Christmas day.
    I really do not want to gain any weight - I just want to eat as healthy as I can. But its harder than it is for me right now, as my mum likes to give big portions and make desserts etc, like most mothers basically haha.
    I have come so far and really, REALLY, do not want December to be my undoing.
    Thank you :)

I hear you!
    My mum is big on feeding people, and her portions are massive! When I go home this year I'll be making up my own plate on the day..

However, I'm visting home for over 2 weeks!! And there's great food everywhere, lovely baking and cooking, wines and beers... delicious!
    So, while I accept that I will eat a bit more than I should, I'm trying to pre-empt a total crash by getting others involved.

My sister, whose house I will spend half my time, is also spending a bit more time on health, so I've set a challenge for her to join me on MY goal of running a straight 5k on 31st December while I'm home. It'll coincide with the projected end of my C25K plan, and will help people support and encourage me in training while I'm on my holiday break rather than just eating and drinking for 2 weeks straight!

So I think it's alright to indulge if we also keep up the routine exercises that we're getting in to the habit of too. And maybe if you set yourself a mini-goal during the holidays, then that will help balance it out?

I'm definitely not forgoing my mum's cooking and baking!!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Start building up a bank of calories right now, say 50 - 100 less per day until Christmas as long as it is healthy for you to do so, and you're not going under your BMR. Considering Christmas is 39 days away, that'll give you an extra 1950 - 3900 calories in the grand scheme of things. You'll lose about an extra pound from your normal progression, but then you'll make it back up by eating however you want over the holiday.

After that, just return to exactly what you're doing now, and you'll be no worse off than you were before.

Totally doing this starting now!
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When you see a bad food, think of what you don't like about it. Pick one that you like, though, so you can indulge on that one thing at Christmas, like a piece of pie. For example, sugar cookies (them being ubiquitous), think about how you would feel if you ate a dozen, what you would look & feel like after eating a dozen every day for a week. Do this before your hand goes out to the 1st one, and just say no.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You can take a break from dieting and eat at maintenance during Christmas. It's an amazing, cheerful, and tasty time of the year. No reason not to enjoy Christmas foods you like within reason.

If you keep to maintenance and log accurately your weight gain will be mostly water weight which is hardly an issue and can be dropped within days. If you can't log accurately, whatever actual gain you will notice will not be as horrible as you imagine it to be.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Commit to not eating between meals, keep your portion sizes small during the meal, and eat slowly. No one realizes you're eating less than them if you finish after them. While eating less on the days leading up to it works, don't weigh during the time you're doing that or you'll still feel like you gained weight over Christmas.
  • grapefruitannie
    grapefruitannie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am with you with this however I am the mum - I love Christmas I always do loads we have all the neighbours to us on Christmas eve and I make loads of mince pies and mulled wine, we sing Christmas carols we laugh and it is fabulous. It is the only time of the year that we buy pringles and nuts and sweets and I could go on forever lol.

My plan is to log everything - stay away from the sweets because if I have one then its a Disaster Darling because I cannot leave them alone. MY theory is if I log EVERYTHING I am accountable if I go over then Ho Ho Ho I will not the next day. If the gyms closed I can always run even if its early in the morning when everyone else is asleep (they want know then).
    -
    My advise Take your alarm Clock take your trainers, Log everything Enjoy yourself and have fun. You can control what goes into your mouth after all.

As a mother as long as my children say -' Mum seriously I couldn't eat another bite' I am happy.

Stick your tummy out and tell her she has filled you to the brim, smile and change the subject.

Good luck but most of all Enjoy your family time, you will get back on track. Happy Christmas xx
  • starsandowls
    starsandowls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Last month, my family had to go to England because my husband's mother died unexpectedly. The entire time we were over there, I think I mostly ate oatmeal, coffee, slabs of Dairy Milk, endless little sachets of McCoy's cheddar and onion crisps, chicken nuggets, the occasional ready meal, and every meal out involved dessert. And chips. Lots of chips. I tried walking around when I could, but in the end, the scale said I was up 4 pounds when we got back, just in time for Halloween and its endless packets of chocolate. Three weeks later, I'm down again.

When I think about past years' holidays, I don't remember much except whether I was trying to lose weight and how frustrating and annoying everyone was being about it, and in retrospect, I'm sure they didn't appreciate my staring in horror at a casserole and demanding a full list of ingredients and preparation techniques before I would allow any on my plate.

My advice is to try to eat healthy when you can, take some walks (this aggravates people who don't care about their health less than saying you're exercising), but eat the tasty food and enjoy your time with your family. Obviously, if a person is diabetic, they can't just go wild and pick up where they left off after New Year's, but if you're just trying to lose weight, don't bring that to the holidays. It will just make all your holiday memories something like, "That time Aunt Mary gave me a box of chocolates even though she KNEW I was trying to lose weight because she's fat and just wants everyone else to be!" Take the boxes of chocolate home with you and give them away, if you want to.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd set your calories to maintenance while you're visiting and then practice portion control and log the whole time. One thing calorie counting has taught me is how to choose only the foods I really want. Some Christmas foods are worth the calories to me. Others are not. Knowing the difference is key. Also I find that it helps me to know that no food is off limits and that I can have it any time I want. That makes me feel less stressed about it, because if it doesn't fit today I can just have it another time. No big deal.

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Is there a houseful of people? Lots of yakking & laughing & commotion? Get outside and go for big walks. Have a cup of liquid at all times in your hand (it can be water in a coffee cup). Move around on your feet lots, dodging the layden plates & trays. At dinner time fillup on protein so the temptation is gone. Skip putting "everything" on your plate. Fill 1/2 your plate with green salad so it takes up more room on the plate, not leaving very much room for starchy fattening type food. Drink a sugar-free sweet drink for your dessert. And don't make a big deal of anything...that just draws attention to yourself. Keep quiet about what you're doing, listen to others yammer on about their issues.... Just some ideas.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I agree with the maintenance advice. Among other things, it would probably be helpful to start teaching yourself there's a middle ground between dieting (or being strictly on plan) and going overboard with no limits.

That's probably what I will do if I travel over Christmas (and might anyway).