Starting Is the Hardest Part :(

Options
Hello fellow MFP Members

I'm usually a lurker but I've come out of lurkdom for some support.:tongue:

My story is : I've lost 112lbs, so I know how to lose weight. I don't need advice on what to eat or when or what workout to do. Im posting today on how to get started DOING IT :sick:

I can't seem to wrap my mind around the fact that I still need to lose more weight, im still at an unhealthy weight and i can't run to food whenever life gets hard.

Its almost a daily ritual now. I get up and say "today is the day I start back to counting calories" then by the end of the day, for whatever excuse i give myself ( its particularly hard after supper) i will blow it. :frown:

If there is any advice or words of wisdom you can throw at me so I can get my mind set again. I would appreciate it :smile:

Have a wonderful day:smile::flowerforyou:

ETA- Just wanted to add that my workouts kick bootie so i have not problems in that area:wink::happy: :tongue:

Replies

• KattKitty
    KattKitty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on the 112.5 lbs. That's AMAZING. Getting back in the swing of things is the hard part, but I think the best mindset IS the health part. I won't even use the word "DIET" because the word, alone, defeats me. I, personally, am on a quest for better health. I can't "start tomorrow" or tomorrow will never come. If I take one extra step in a day or even make one wiser eating choice, then I am one tiny step healthier to enjoy not only my life, but my son's.

My original goal was just to feel healthier. I did that almost immediately and am fightning the mind battle not to stop just because I feel and even look better. My original goal was to do 15 minutes of some kind of exercize 4X a day and to eat wiser before 1:00pm and have NO carbs after that. If I ONLY did one 15 minute block or ate carbs until 5-6pm, I wasn't going to berate myself (the real goal). That went really well for me. I never once fell below my goals and after 2 weeks or so I changed to a different plan with very little difficulty.

I don't know whether this will work for you or not, but I am hoping that you will at least consider it. I am praying for you

Kathy
  • sweetwilliams
    Options
    Hi, well done in your loss so far.

I am starting out, and feeling quite scared about the new lifestyle.

How far away from your ideal weight are you now? Do you like being the weight you now are? Do you like the clothes you have etc?
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    1st, you have done amazing! You have lost a ton of weight.

Now, in my opinion, you need to figure out why you are running to food, and "blowing it". For me, it is boredom. I need something to do with my hands. Either smoke a ton or stuff my face. So, I have to get away from the kitchen. Leave the house.

Why do you want to lose the weight? kids? health? keep that in mind and maybe it would help you.

I really have no ideas to offer you, but I am trying. I get into those moods as well, and I sometimes need someone to kick me in the *kitten* to snap me out of it. Feel free to add me as a friend. I need people to get "nasty" with me.
  • JessicaBuff
    JessicaBuff Posts: 233
    Options
    IMO You have already made the start...You eat better than you have been most of the day, then at night you mess up...You have to start somewhere and to me that is a start..Just strive to better everyday..I still blow it sometimes, but i wake up and say im not gonna do that again tonight..eventually you will stop doing it and you will love the feeling of accomplishment so much that you will eat right every night! Great job on the weightloss! That is AMAZING!! And you can do this!!
  • Justpeachy78
    Options
    First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on the 112.5 lbs. That's AMAZING. Getting back in the swing of things is the hard part, but I think the best mindset IS the health part. I won't even use the word "DIET" because the word, alone, defeats me. I, personally, am on a quest for better health. I can't "start tomorrow" or tomorrow will never come. If I take one extra step in a day or even make one wiser eating choice, then I am one tiny step healthier to enjoy not only my life, but my son's.

My original goal was just to feel healthier. I did that almost immediately and am fightning the mind battle not to stop just because I feel and even look better. My original goal was to do 15 minutes of some kind of exercize 4X a day and to eat wiser before 1:00pm and have NO carbs after that. If I ONLY did one 15 minute block or ate carbs until 5-6pm, I wasn't going to berate myself (the real goal). That went really well for me. I never once fell below my goals and after 2 weeks or so I changed to a different plan with very little difficulty.

I don't know whether this will work for you or not, but I am hoping that you will at least consider it. I am praying for you

Kathy

Completely agree with you...I've already starting taking baby steps towards eliminating my after supper snack. It's seems that once I start eating after supper ( and 9 times out of 10 im not even hungry) i can't stop! It almost like a compulsive disorder....

If supper is high in all those fabulous nutrients then I shouldn't be hungry. I took my ' after supper snack' off my food diary settings this morning. I think once my mind and body realizes that after supper im done with eating...i won't be hungry. It will become habit once again. ( two years ago I went 3months with no after supper snacks and lost 20lbs just by doing that )

Thank you and good luck to you!!!!
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Think of why you are doing this, why you would like to be healthy. It's going to lengthen your life and your family's as well. Children learn behaviors from their parents. Break the vicious cycle of emotional eating right now and your children won't have the same problem. Get rid of the junk food in your house. I have caught myself buying skinny cows and then eating the whole package in one or two days!! So I have to make sure not to have them in my house. Stock up on fruits and vegetables. Making up your mind to do it is the biggest part of getting started. Look up Chalene on youtube. She's got lots of encouraging and educational stuff on there. There's one video where she takes you through her kitchen and shows you how to stock up your pantry and refrigerator with healthy foods. By the time you are finished watching, you are ready to take on the world. Congratulations on your weight loss!!!! You are amazing! If you can loose over 112 pounds, you can do anything. You are stronger than you realize. :):flowerforyou:
  • Justpeachy78
    Options
    Hi, well done in your loss so far.

I am starting out, and feeling quite scared about the new lifestyle.

How far away from your ideal weight are you now? Do you like being the weight you now are? Do you like the clothes you have etc?

I figure Im about 20 or so lbs away from my ideal weight. But i have to keep in mind my body composition since i lift weights and my muscle's - they are a showing:wink::tongue: . Actually my goal is to fit into a size 7/8 pants. Im in a 10/12 right now :smile:

I don't like the weight im at now because i still feel that jiggle below my shirt when i walk,lol. I have a little too much going on in the midsection. It isn't much...but enough to make me uncomfortable with the girly fitting shirts:laugh: :wink:

Im starting to like the way I look in clothes...i mean, i hold my own i guess...but there is always room for improvement:smile:

p.s don't be scared of the new lifestlye...once you start losing weight it will take off from there. :drinker: :drinker:
  • KimDis
    KimDis Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been there. I know what to do. I even know how to do it. I just... don't.

I can't tell you what's gonna finally do it for you and push you over the hump, but I can share what's working for me & hope something resonates with you.

1st I'd say get started (which you're doing now so YAY). Getting on the board for any loss helps me get a little more invested.

For me, a relentless commitment to logging in my food & exercise, no matter what, has been really helpful. And that means everything: the drink at a party, french fries at lunch (yesterday, for the record). It ALL goes into my log.

I also recently realized how much I let the excuse of social situations rule my world. Decided to put me 1st. My health & my goals are more important than eating baby shower cake or sharing a glass of wine. Plus I'm too much of a control freak to not make decisions now so that my life doesn't get ruled by things like hypertension & diabetes later in life.

It's also been helpful to use the app when I'm at restaurants to help me make my choices. Yes, I know the better choices vs the not as great ones for now. But actually seeing that in front of me in the context of my goal has helped me to stay on track. It was impossible to eat even half of that serving of fries yesterday when I KNEW how many calories I'd consumed for the day & how many I'd have left if I blew them all at 3pm.

Finally I have a group of friends who are joining me on this journey and using this site as well. The accountability & responsibility I feel towards them has kept me going.

Hope this helps. Hang in there :)
  • Justpeachy78
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and support. I have to go get my workout in before work but I will come back on this thread later tonight. Im logging my food for the day and by george, im going to STICK TO IT!!!!

later gators....
  • Justpeachy78
    Options
    I've been there. I know what to do. I even know how to do it. I just... don't.

I can't tell you what's gonna finally do it for you and push you over the hump, but I can share what's working for me & hope something resonates with you.

1st I'd say get started (which you're doing now so YAY). Getting on the board for any loss helps me get a little more invested.

For me, a relentless commitment to logging in my food & exercise, no matter what, has been really helpful. And that means everything: the drink at a party, french fries at lunch (yesterday, for the record). It ALL goes into my log.

I also recently realized how much I let the excuse of social situations rule my world. Decided to put me 1st. My health & my goals are more important than eating baby shower cake or sharing a glass of wine. Plus I'm too much of a control freak to not make decisions now so that my life doesn't get ruled by things like hypertension & diabetes later in life.

It's also been helpful to use the app when I'm at restaurants to help me make my choices. Yes, I know the better choices vs the not as great ones for now. But actually seeing that in front of me in the context of my goal has helped me to stay on track. It was impossible to eat even half of that serving of fries yesterday when I KNEW how many calories I'd consumed for the day & how many I'd have left if I blew them all at 3pm.

Finally I have a group of friends who are joining me on this journey and using this site as well. The accountability & responsibility I feel towards them has kept me going.

Hope this helps. Hang in there :)

Thank you for you advice. Today I plan on logging everything that goes in my mouth. Wish me luck:flowerforyou: :drinker:

Did I forget to mention that I work in a bakery? LOL...im surrounded by evil all day long:ohwell: ( cakes, cookies, brownies, fresh bread...you get the point)
  • Justpeachy78
    Options
    Think of why you are doing this, why you would like to be healthy. It's going to lengthen your life and your family's as well. Children learn behaviors from their parents. Break the vicious cycle of emotional eating right now and your children won't have the same problem. Get rid of the junk food in your house. I have caught myself buying skinny cows and then eating the whole package in one or two days!! So I have to make sure not to have them in my house. Stock up on fruits and vegetables. Making up your mind to do it is the biggest part of getting started. Look up Chalene on youtube. She's got lots of encouraging and educational stuff on there. There's one video where she takes you through her kitchen and shows you how to stock up your pantry and refrigerator with healthy foods. By the time you are finished watching, you are ready to take on the world. Congratulations on your weight loss!!!! You are amazing! If you can loose over 112 pounds, you can do anything. You are stronger than you realize. :):flowerforyou:

Its funny that you mention Chalene because im in the Lean phase of CLX!!! Yes, she is very encouraging and i don't know why I never thought of listening to her motivational cds...i have them and have never listened to them:noway: .

I agree about the junk food, but the kids like their cookies and junk. Maybe its time for them to start doing away with all that processed garbage as well and start eating fruit. I have switched them from regular chips to baked chips and they prefer the baked chips. I'm sure i can find a better dessert then cookies or snack cakes for them...

• Justpeachy78
    Options
    IMO You have already made the start...You eat better than you have been most of the day, then at night you mess up...You have to start somewhere and to me that is a start..Just strive to better everyday..I still blow it sometimes, but i wake up and say im not gonna do that again tonight..eventually you will stop doing it and you will love the feeling of accomplishment so much that you will eat right every night! Great job on the weightloss! That is AMAZING!! And you can do this!!

EXACTLY!!!!!! I now that once i put my mind to something...its just a matter of time before i do it. And this little bit of weight that i have left is annoying the crap out of me. I love that feeling the morning after a great day of eating. Wish I could bottle it up and sample it when im feeling like poo...

And thank you for your kind words:flowerforyou: