Preparing for Thanksgiving

Options
As I write this, it's about 12 days until Thanksgiving, a holiday based entirely around food.

And I'm just beginning my journey to loose 65+ lbs.

I don't want to be the guy at the table with my little scale entering every little morsel into MyFitnessPal, so I'd like to share with you my plan, as well as get some suggestions as to what has worked for you on cheat days, or holidays, or whatever these events are called.

Right now, I'm consuming 1930 calories per day, and the weight is falling off. I don't currently exercise at all. I'm sticking to my Macros pretty closely - some days I go heavy on protein, other days I eat a higher percentage of fats. I always stick to my overall total caloric intake. Eat a deficit, and the weight will come off, right?

While I track everything daily - weight, calories, macros, I realize that my body takes time to adjust to all these changes. That weekly average weight is probably a better way to go instead of looking at the day to day changes which can fluctuate up and down a little bit.

I was thinking I might taper down my calories a week before Turkey day, to build up a larger deficit, say 700-1000 calories, and then try to do a big walk or even start a weight training program the next day to burn off some of the extra.

I'm hoping I don't go over-board and have too much of a binge day. I'm aware that I need to eat in moderation. It's so hard when you sit down, and see all the good stuff, and everybody is going at it, eating whatever they want...

So I guess my question is how are you going to handle Thanksgiving? What is your plan? For those of you that have been through some holidays in the past, how did it work for you?

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I've actually found that Thanksgiving is not totally based around food! If you take you head out of the turkey for a minute you will find that there are a bunch of people to talk to, kids to watch, etc. 1935ckal is plenty for the day eating like a normal person.

Hmm... they will probably flag this.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to log stuff, but not worry too much if I go over my daily goal. One day isn't going to hurt you that much unless you let it be the beginning of eating poorly for weeks. As for me, I will try to watch portion sizes and enjoy the day and the good food and then start the next day going right back to my planning and logging.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It is one day out of 365 days. Just don't go crazy.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm not too stressed about it. I'm going to be with a friend's family for Thanksgiving & I'm naturally a little self conscious about eating around a bunch of people I don't know, so I'm sure I won't get crazy. I'm have one normal sized plate of food, some wine, & maybe a piece of pie. Definitely will still be a 'cheat' day, but not enough to be worried about.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Learning early on that it's not what you eat during the holidays, it's what you eat the other months between.
  • ChristineEllei
    ChristineEllei Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Living in Canada I was faced with the Thanksgiving problem a month ago (just as I was finally managing to get back on track). I also lead a TOPS group so felt that I wanted to set a good example ... the following is what our pre-Thanksgiving meeting was about.
    http://mytwocaloriesworth.blogspot.ca/2014/10/surviving-thanksgiving-dinner.html
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm not terribly worried about it, but I've been at it for a while.

I'm basically taking a day off and just making sure that it doesn't turn into a bunch of days (my birthday is the following weekend, so no need for a two week celebration that turns into a month off leading up to Christmas).

Lots of Thanksgiving food really isn't that off plan--turkey and veggies and potatoes could be the basis for a normal healthy dinner. So mostly I'm making sure that I choose the items I love most to fill my plate, including turkey and lots of veggies, that I bring a couple of dishes that are tasty without lots of extra calories, and that I don't stuff myself to discomfort or feel compelled to eat everything just because it's Thanksgiving.

And then I'll have a couple of things I don't usually, like pumpkin pie and apple crisp, and probably have more butter than normal on my potatoes.

I'll bring home leftovers I want to eat but not end up with half a pie or some such (I am not adverse to taking a piece or two).

I am also running an 8K that day and will make sure I use the time off over the long weekend to get in some extra exercise.

I'm not doing anything special to cut calories beforehand, but if you want to and don't go to an extreme I don't think banking some calories is a bad idea. When I first started I did that if I was going out on the weekend (my calories were lower than yours--1250 then, 1650 now).
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It's a holiday... enjoy it, don't sweat it and Friday pick up where you left off. I axsume that you are not doing the actual cooking, so if you are really concerned, use smaller plates, fill up on vegetables (although some vegetable dishes are not that healthy) request steamed broccoli, drink a lot of water and enjoy what food you are going to eat. But don't let it derail you

I cooked last year and will be cooking again this year so I have total control of the food, so everyone is pretty much at my mercy... :D
  • Teresa_3266
    Teresa_3266 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have Thanksgiving at my church, at my home, and then a Christmas party at my house. I have been buried in Pinterest recipes! I plan to totally enjoy myself during these occasions and I won't be tracking. However, I have been very diligent this month leading up to these food events, so that my weight hopefully won't freak out entirely. ;)
  • Efflictim
    Efflictim Posts: 147 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It's one day. Just eat.
    I don't stress about holiday eating. Enjoy yourself
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    This is my 3rd Thanksgiving on MFP and my 2nd on maintenance. I am the cook and I will be preparing healthier foods, as I have been for the past 3 Thanksgivings. I will have at least a taste of everything. It is also the 3rd year I am participating in the annual "Turkey Trot" 5K on Thanksgiving morning. There a lot of parties and holiday foods in the next 1-1/2 months coming up. Logging and moderation has gotten me through this for the past three years. I will stick with what has worked for me and enjoy the holiday season.

I understand your concern about this, as I felt the same way. Enjoy the day, and try to make the best choices that you are able to. It is only one day, but the "eating season" between now and New Years can be a challenge.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My plan is to log stuff in advance. I'm cooking so I know everything we are having. I already logged our planned menu to see what it would be and saved it as a meal so I can enter it quickly.
    I plan to have one plate of food with reasonable portions. I will drink water. Then I will do other activities that don't involve food.

You may have an idea of some of the dishes that will be served so maybe you can log in advance to see how different combinations or portion sizes might look calorie wise.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    It is one day and I don't fret over it... I normally eat a light breakfast, head to the metro park for a nice long hike, and head home to partake in good company with family and friends and eat what a want. I don't log anything on Turkey day, that doesn't mean it is a license to binge but If I want it, I will have it. Next day it is back to business as usual...
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I love hanging out with my family, playing games, and eating that delicious food of course. This is my first Thanksgiving on MFP, and I plan to do the following:
    1. Have a nice power workout first thing in the morning.
    2. Eat all the foods that I really love in moderation without stuffing myself.
    3. Eat plenty of veggies.
    4. Drink plenty of water.
    5. Log everything to the best of my ability.
    6. Spend the entire day being thankful for all my many blessings.

As already mentioned, it's one day. Enjoy it!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I am going to go out on a limb here and bet that you aren't actually going to start a weight training program on Black Friday. If that is something you are planning START NOW.

Also, be careful about cutting back your calories for several continuous days before Thanksgiving: most people will just use it as an excuse to eat even more the day of.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Portion control and good choices is what it is all about. Relax and spend time with your family and friends
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I will set my goal for maintenance for that day and stick close to that. It is one day.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My daughter is hosting and has asked me to make some things I can eat that others will enjoy *cheezy mashed cauliflower.* I am also making my cranberry sauce, spinach dip and some kind of sweet potato casserole. I even plan to have a glass of wine (or three!) I will eat a bit of everything, get a good work out in before and a nice long walk after. The fire hall is about a mile away from my daughter's house so some left overs will be walked down to those on shift (so that I could get the day off.) It's one day...don't obsess, enjoy your family.
  • erichegwer
    erichegwer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am going to go out on a limb here and bet that you aren't actually going to start a weight training program on Black Friday. If that is something you are planning START NOW.

Also, be careful about cutting back your calories for several continuous days before Thanksgiving: most people will just use it as an excuse to eat even more the day of.

Thanks for that advice

I'm not much one for shopping, so Black Friday doesn't mean too much for me. But...
    for the last couple of days I've been super motivated to start a weight training program. Looking at tons of YouTube videos and on-line programs. I'm a member of a local Gym that has all the equipment I could dream of. I think you are right that I should start today! But that's another thread.

As for the cutting back/eating more, one of my biggest problems is that I'm a social eater. When I get to parties, I feel like I have to try a bit of everything. And of course I go back for the good stuff. This year is different. I look at myself in photos, and in the mirror, and what I see back is NOT the same as I see myself in my head. Time to make the two images match. That's some powerful motivation.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the day! Take a couple of long walks ...one earlier in the day and one especially after the feast. That will give you some "wiggle room" in what you'll be able to eat for the day. I was able to lose weight through Thanksgiving AND Christmas last year. It can be done - just don't go crazy and get back on track the next day.