Scared to death

Options
cpm133
cpm133 Posts: 2 Member
Hello all.
I am 45 and have been over 200lbs since having my 3 kids over 15 years ago. I was recently told I have diabetes (no insulin but need to take pills). This scared me to death.

I have gained and lost weight my whole life, but it is now critical that I loose weight for the long term. I am determined to get off this medication and have a healthy lifestyle but I am always strong for the first 6 months...then I loose steam and go back to bad habits.

I am so excited about myfitnesspal, because I need the motivation and support not just to get healthy but to STAY healthy.

I would love to hear about things others have done or are doing to be successful for the long-term.

Thanks in advance for your advice and encouragement.

Replies

• galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I am 29 and have 3 children they are 12,4 and 19 months and have lost and gained since my 1st child. The reason im sticking to it now is I lost my dad last Wednesday terminal cancer killed him and he was 63. He will never see me get married or my 30th birthday etc do it so you will never miss the most of your children's lives
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear your diagnosis, but some people on MFP have had good success in reducing diabetic conditions through a healthy eating/exercise plan and weight loss. So, congratulations for logging on and asking for help! :+1:

You can get started on your journey to a healthier you by using MyFitnessPal (MFP) to log calories in (food) and calories out (exercise).

How to Set/Change Goals on MFP:

Click Goals > Change Goals > Guided, Continue, enter in your accurate information and realistic goal weight, and click Update Profile. MFP will give you good information on how many calories you should eat each day to safely lose weight. Every day, login to MFP to track what you eat and how much you exercise. Add Friends to help you stay accountable.

You can lose weight without feeling like you are starving all the time. I promise! Good luck! :smiley:

Direct Link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
    BMI Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator
    BMR Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

19507081.png
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. In my experience, 80% of success is nutrition and calorie control and 20% is exercise. I also find it important to limit carbohydrates. I've been successful over the long term (lost 65 pounds), but have slipped recently (re-gained 12 pounds). I'm re-starting/re-dedicating myself. Good luck to you. We can do this.

Please feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. I try to be on the MFP site daily and to be an encourager.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It pretty much took health concerns to get my butt in gear too. Last fall I learned I have I high blood pressure and like you don't want to take meds the rest of my life. Now, more than 50 pounds later (I lost 8 before finding and using MFP) I can say that MFP has literally changed my life.

I am one of the people who just follows the MFP calorie counting guidelines based on my age (64), height (5'2") and weight (225 when I started, now 175) and it has worked. For a few months I chose "lose 2 pounds per week" because I was heavy enough that still gave me lots of calories while losing. I have since increased my activity level and lowered my pounds per week loss, in order to stay above 1350 calories most of the time.

My blood pressure has dropped and I know I'll be to discontinue meds in the not too distant future. Meanwhile, I feel so much better.

Its been about 8 months on MFP for me now and I think this is how I'm going to eat from now on. I am so pleased that I'm not thinking about "when I'm done dieting" because I know I can eat whatever I want now, if I really want it, either by having a really small amount or working hard to move a lot more that day in order to "earn" extra calories, or just eating the food I want but making sure the calories from it fit into my daily total --which might mean I have a couple really low calorie meals on a day I want to indulge. Really though, lots of things I though were important to me food-wise at one point, aren't so much anymore.

You can do this!

55835802.png

• lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I have been on MFP for 164 days.

Since that time I have had my routine labs drawn. In the last year my Cholesterol decreased by 50 points, Triglycerides are down by 51 points, and my LDL (bad) cholesterol is down by 8. Proof positive that making a healthy lifestyle change can work on ways other than weight loss.

While I am not diabetic there is a very strong family history (Dad, Aunt, Grandpa, and Great Grandma). I want to make sure I don't become diabetic.

Best of luck! If I can do this, you can.

22975671.png

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Nothing like a diagnosis to snap you into better habits, lol!!

Follow the doctor's advice. They probably told you to eat right and exercise, so do that. It takes a long time to change bad habits into good ones, but the way to do it is to do it! :)

The weight will come off and you will be a healthier you.
  • EvelynR1967
    EvelynR1967 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I lost 65 pounds logging everything I put into my mouth & exercised throughout my weight loss journey, This has become my an important part of my life! It's accountability & the community of folks here are amazing! If your looking for a friend, please add me. Wishing you so much luck! You can do this!!!!!!!!
  • justalittlecrazy
    justalittlecrazy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Maybe I shouldn't answer because I'm far from goal and having only been at this a few months. I think that you don't truly dedicate yourself until the payoff is better than staying the way you were. This program works. Do it. Eat enough but not too much. Make sustainable changes and you will succeed.

I am in a similar boat to you. I have already decided I wanted to make changes when I had a "warning stroke." Basically, at 37 years old the condition of my blood from my lifestyle choices was so bad that my body was on the verge of having a true stroke. My grandmother died from a stroke, my mother has had several, my grandfather had so many they stopped keeping track. That won't be me.

If you are truly ready for a change, you will do this. Make good friends on here who will support you. The power of other people on the same journey is amazing. If you would like friends, feel free to add me. I am in this for the long run.

Welcome aboard. You can do this.
  • jcortrightreeping
    jcortrightreeping Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am also 45 years old also. I weighed 236 lbs when I started last May. I did not have diabetes, but feared it. I also wanted to stick around for my kids and grandchildren. My doctor suggested Myfitnesspal. I didn't know if I could do it, but I sure wanted to give it my all. I have lost 52lbs and 4 clothing sizes in 5 1/2 months with diet alone. My goal is to lose another 44lbs. I have just recently started pushing myself to become a little more physically active. We'll see how it goes. Feel free to add me if you need a friend. Set your mind to it and you can do it!
  • boriquaprp
    boriquaprp Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The fact that your on here taking steps to help yourself is a big step. This shows you care about yourself and your loved ones. Do it step by step, one foot in front of the other. Stay positive! That's what keep me going. Best wishes.
  • SnowWhiteFanatic
    SnowWhiteFanatic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The end of July 2013, I was diagnosed as a T2 diabetic. It scared the snot out of me. I sat all depressed and feeling sorry for myself for about 2-3 days and then it hit me. I had to do something. I have a daughter and a husband and I wasn't about to let this take over my life.

The doctor gave me 3 months to try and loose some weight and eat better or I would be going on meds and possibly insulin. I would not let that happen.

It has been one year and 4 months later, I am down 67.5 pounds and my A1C is in check . All with no meds! No insulin! It can be done. I just went through my house and got rid of all the crap and started slowly, I researched the heck outta diabetes and saw a nutritionist.

Please add me if you would like.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Sending you a friend request. I'm the same age with similar aged kids, and I was 212 in July 2013. I'm now 164 at 5'10" and back in the healthy range for the first time since college. I know you can do this!!
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me.....I'm on here everyday.....I don't have diabetes but one of my mfp friends willnorton has diabetes and he has had some marvelous results with his plan....I know that he would be happy to advise you....he is on my friends list....just send him a message and let him know that I suggested you talk to him.....he has really worked hard.....I joined mfp back in January 2012 at 17lb....got down to 120lb....started lifting and the weight climbed back on....I'm 135lb right now and I'm trying to get back to 120lb....I'm 44 years old and 5'3"...I have one little girl....she is 7 now....I'm trying to set a good example for her.....take care and best of luck.....:)
  • perfectlittelamb
    Options
    I am 29 and have 3 children they are 12,4 and 19 months and have lost and gained since my 1st child. The reason im sticking to it now is I lost my dad last Wednesday terminal cancer killed him and he was 63. He will never see me get married or my 30th birthday etc do it so you will never miss the most of your children's lives

I'm so sorry for your loss. *hugs*
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I had to do it to save my life too. If that couldn't keep me doing what I promised I would do, I don't know what else would have worked.

It requires commitment more than motivation. Best of luck to you <3
  • cpm133
    cpm133 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support...keep it coming :)