How do people treat you now?

Options

Replies

• vnessuh
    vnessuh Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I get looked at in the eye more often, I get catcalled really often whereas I NEVER got catcalled at 300 (not that it's a source of pride but it is a difference), I get complimented a lot more in general.

guys are still asshats though... but I'm pretty confident they're asshats to even the most beautiful of thin women. the truth is, people being idiots is more a reflection of them and not you.
  • pknjhh
    pknjhh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It's a huge difference. Cutting down I now have women approaching me more then I would like. I am married so that's not a good thing. Guys are pretty cool about it. Some guys ask different things to help them along. Guys it's not too different. Women seem to try to get a conversation going a lot more. That's what I noticed.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have often wondered if people truly do treat people who are thin differently than they treat overweight individuals. So my question is:

Do you find that now that you have lost weight, people treat you differently? And if they do, do they treat you better?

It could be family members, friends, or strangers...

I don't know if it's because I carried my weight well or what but I haven't really noticed a significant difference. Although, on the negative side, people feel a lot more comfortable commenting on my body now. I don't remember anyone ever saying anything bad about the way I looked before but now I sometimes get "bones are for dogs" type comments. Thankfully I'm confident enough that it doesn't bother me too much.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I have often wondered if people truly do treat people who are thin differently than they treat overweight individuals. So my question is:

Do you find that now that you have lost weight, people treat you differently? And if they do, do they treat you better?

I don't know if it's because I carried my weight well or what but I haven't really noticed a significant difference. Although, on the negative side, people feel a lot more comfortable commenting on my body now. I don't remember anyone ever saying anything bad about the way I looked before but now I sometimes get "bones are for dogs" type comments. Thankfully I'm confident enough that it doesn't bother me too much.

That reminds me of the post made by that woman who said her husband told her "bones were for dogs!" Ha. Silly people.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Yes, different by many some different by some friends and family, much different in public. Probably partly weight related, partly confidence that has been re discovered too.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

That reminds me of the post made by that woman who said her husband told her "bones were for dogs!" Ha. Silly people.

Thankfully Mr. Acrylics doesn't share the sentiment. Also I've never understood what makes people feel like they need to give someone else input like that. I mean, assuming a person is healthy and all, what makes a person think "I should tell this person that I don't like their body?"
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Thankfully Mr. Acrylics doesn't share the sentiment. Also I've never understood what makes people feel like they need to give someone else input like that. I mean, assuming a person is healthy and all, what makes a person think "I should tell this person that I don't like their body?"

In this case, she was clearly uncomfortable with her own body-looking for compliments from her husband, and then trying to make people who are thin feel unattractive, the way she felt. I dunno. Just a guess.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Before I was injured, I had lost 126 lbs. Nobody treated me any differently. I, however, felt better about myself with the weight off.
  • Minnygirl1
    Minnygirl1 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just recently lost 32 pounds and went from a size 14 to a size 4. I'm 5'6" so I feel pretty good at this weight. As a overweight middle aged married woman (I'm 47 years old) I was practically invisible before I lost weight. I'm married, so attention from men is not something I ever sought out or seek out now, but Wow, what a difference! Men of all ages will talk to you much much more when you are thinner. Women seem to give you more attention too. Mostly to ask how you lost it and for advice. (Funny how they claim to want to lose weight but most of them don't want to work for it. They don't want to count calories or work out....shrug!). It's a nice ego boost I guess, but mostly just amusing.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    In my experience, the way people treat you and view you has far more to do with how you treat and view yourself...i.e. regardless of weight, if you're a confident and outgoing person, people respond in kind.

I think people think that losing weight is some kind of magic pill to happiness...it's not...if you're not happy with yourself and confident in yourself to begin with, it's likely that losing weight alone isn't going to change that.

I completely agree with this. I viewed myself differently. Other people treated and viewed me the same whether I was thin or heavy.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    In my experience, the way people treat you and view you has far more to do with how you treat and view yourself...i.e. regardless of weight, if you're a confident and outgoing person, people respond in kind.

I think people think that losing weight is some kind of magic pill to happiness...it's not...if you're not happy with yourself and confident in yourself to begin with, it's likely that losing weight alone isn't going to change that.

That is very well said +1 ^^

• FlatWet
    FlatWet Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My weight change hasn't been as drastic as others, but I still have noticed a lot of shift. Not from my friends, (although my bestie keeps making fun of me for counting calories) but from people, usually men, on the street. :/

Nice to know that people think I look good, but sometimes feels a bit invasive.
  • devakali
    devakali Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Absolutely treated differently. When I lost nearly 60lbs and started a new job in a new city, I was treated much differently than I had been before at new jobs. People wanted to have lunch with me, for example (few people invited me to lunch when I was a size 18). My coworkers threw "welcome night out" parties for me--that had never happened before. I was the same person (pretty fun and funny, imo) but suddenly I was someone that others wanted to be seen with. Also, men volunteered to help me all the damn time. If I was reaching for something, some knight in shining shopping cart would swoop over to get it. If I had a question, salesdude #1 would elbow #2 out of his way to come around the counter to help me, even saleswomen would offer more information. More of my smiles were returned. When I was a size 6, no one could "believe" I'd been an 18--but once I gained some of it back, and my 10s were getting snug... suddenly they are all believers.

People are nicer to "regular" sized people. It's sh%^$y and rude and etc, but true.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    I noticed that I get more visitors at my desk. More people chat with me in the cafeteria line and as for people I already know.. acquaintances tend to be more friendly but real friends and family treat me the same (thank God). It can be bizarre but I just shrug it off as BS. I'll always be too big for some or too small for others. I can't live my life worried about other people's perception of me or I'd go nuts. Besides, I'm still fat just wait until I can get into a 2 piece. lol
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't think that I am treated differently. I know for sure that my family/friends treat me the same. As for strangers, I don't notice anything different but I could be missing it. I'm pretty introverted and very quiet when it comes to people I don't know. When I'm out and about, I see people but I don't really engage with them unless I know them or have a specific need to talk to them (e.g., servers, store clerks, etc.) so I don't really notice any difference. I'm not antisocial but I seem to have a knack for attracting weirdos so I try to keep to my own little bubble whenever I can. (This is why I don't really get the "people are staring at me at the gym" posts. I have no idea if anybody looks at me because I'm not looking at them.)
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Everybody is much nicer to me. I get smiled at more. It is very noticeable. More worryingly, people treat me with more respect than they did when I was fatter, as if I am somehow more worthwhile. I have noticed that people hug me a lot more.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I wonder why, merc? That Nicholson smile might have something to do with it... maybe the guns. xo!

IMO, only.. you are all imagining it, sales people are there to SELL. $.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that at my lightest, heaviest (now) and every weight in between I have never been treated any differently by friends or strangers. But also no matter my weight I'm super friendly, flirt like a fiend, and carry myself like a powerful sexy b*tch goddess. I also don't know the meaning of the word shy. So I'm never treated like anything other than a super friendly sexy b*tch.
    I've always found that people treat you the way you demand to be treated. Weight means nothing, it's all in your baring.

Yes, yes, yes.

I was never treated differently as a fat girl, because I never expected to be treated differently.

The only difference is now I get checked out more.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm reminded of my daughter's story:
    She started working at an insurance company in her early 20s. She is very cute and outgoing. She said many times she'd get back home and be in tears because the office women were very harsh to her. As she put on weight they started to treat her nicer.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!