I ran today

Options
Today I ran for 15 minutes, jogged really. I walked for 30 minutes. This is an improvement over yesterday. Yesterday I tried running and managed 8 minutes. I have been reading some of the posts about running and I think for me it might be the key to slimming my mid section. I also have read that if I keep with it I win one day love it. I hope that is true.
Anyway, I wanted to share. This is my way of being accountable. :smile:
Erin

Replies

• cerfin
    cerfin Posts: 41
    Options
    Today I ran for 15 minutes, jogged really. I walked for 30 minutes. This is an improvement over yesterday. Yesterday I tried running and managed 8 minutes. I have been reading some of the posts about running and I think for me it might be the key to slimming my mid section. I also have read that if I keep with it I win one day love it. I hope that is true.
    Anyway, I wanted to share. This is my way of being accountable. :smile:
    Erin
  • teacheratkins24
    teacheratkins24 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    YAY for you! :smile:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Erin, Congrats on your progress! I just started running last spring at 48yrs old. I worked up to 3mi. I've changed up my workout now that I am back on the treadmill. Still 3mi but I do a run/walk combo with weights for upper body mixed in. That's 3 days/week. Two days I walk. Sat/Sun are both rest days for me. If it's nice out I walk my dog.
    I don't know that I love running. But I do love the way my pants fit! I think if you keep up with it you will see a difference to!
    Kelly
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    AWESOME JOB!!!

I was trying to start running/jogging but the cold weather aggrevates my asthma, so it will have to wait till spring for me.
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Does it really help your mid-section?That's my biggest problem area,im still tryna figure how to slim it down to before I had my son (9 pounds 3 ounces yeah he really stretched me out).But if u know any tips tricks and facts please let me know.....:heart:

-Bre

105361.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Does it really help your mid-section?That's my biggest problem area,im still tryna figure how to slim it down to before I had my son (9 pounds 3 ounces yeah he really stretched me out).But if u know any tips tricks and facts please let me know.....:heart:

-Bre

I'm dealing with a stretched out mommy tummy too. They stink. :grumble:

Running DOES help with the mid section. Proper posture (standing upright, pulling in your tummy) while running works your core, helping to reduce and tighten that midsection.
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    Options

-Bre

105361.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Cardio, cardio, cardio...and core exercises to strengthen the muscles underneath! Simple as that!
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau using the elliptical and bike,
    so i started jogging and running
    no more plateau,
    its good to change it up
    and running is natural and involves more muscles.
    and you burn more cal's per hour than you would walking.
    great job
    keep up that kind of progress and you'll be running marathons in no time :tongue:
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I started running (or technically jogging) in august, and noticed a huge difference in the muscles in my stomach, I have them again and can see them. It certainly worked for me.:wink:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I recommend for beginners (yup, I'm one too...) the couch to 5K plan on coolrunnings.com

Also, don't suck in your stomach when running, you need to breath into your stomach, puffing it out, in order to get plenty of oxygen.

I copied this from a post by songbyrdsweet last week:
    You should be able to say a few words in a row.
    You should be able to breathe through your nose for a few breaths in a row.
    Your feet should be landing right beneath you, meaning you shouldn't be making big strides.
    Stand up straight with your shoulders relaxed but abdominal muscles engaged, and breathe into your stomach, not your chest. This means you can't suck your stomach in...let it relax when you take a breath.