What limits should I set myself

Options
Hi guys and gals
I would like to start eating a lower carb, higher protein fats rather than low calorie low fat diet
Does anyone know how I can work out what percentage of eat groups I should have each day?
I'm pretty heavyweight. I'm female, 5'8" (173cm). Weight 262lb or 117kg. I've got s lot of belly fat and a BMI of 40. Low fat low cal diets leave me feeling extremely unsatisfied and I end up scoffing sweets and snacks in the evenings.

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    40 40 20
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    How about a balanced diet? Set dietary fat at 0.3-0.4 grams per lb of body weight. Set protein at 1 gram per lb of Lean Body Mass. Fill the rest of your calorie goal with carbs. Unless you plan on going low carb for the rest of your life, do not go on a low calorie diet just to lose the weight. If you do, you're not teaching yourself how to eat properly on the way down. All that's required for weight loss is a calorie deficit. Do not restrict any one macronutrient heavily, have a balanced diet and remain in a calorie deficit to lose the weight.
  • jjclem1207
    jjclem1207 Posts: 9
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I agree with AJ_G on a full balance diet. I however, restrict myself a little more on my carbs, due to my PCOS. Not a carb friendly body. I did exactly what AJ_G said. I did the low calorie and lost a ton of weight, but as soon as I stopped counting and quit MFP the first time I gained it all back PLUS 10 more. This time I am in it for the long haul and I am doing it right! I am learning it eat clean without the processed foods and I make sure that I make time for the gym. I also set smaller goals this time so it is easier to reach them.

Good luck and if you want a buddy feel free to add me, I just started this journey again...
  • cocodrops
    cocodrops Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies . Not sure about your formula though. Going by your formula, I would be in 104.8g of fat
    262g protein. There would be nothing left for carbs.
    I know there are formulas out there for working out protein/fat/carb/calorie ratios according to current weight. It would need to be adjusted as weight decreases. I've also got polycystic ovaries and huge fibroids which I'm waiting for a procedure to remove them. Also have rheumatoid arthritis and very anaemic. So balancing my diet is necessary and low calorie and low fat does not work for me.

• xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    To break a plateau, I changed my carb intake to 25% and it worked.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    cocodrops wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies . Not sure about your formula though. Going by your formula, I would be in 104.8g of fat
    262g protein. There would be nothing left for carbs.
    I know there are formulas out there for working out protein/fat/carb/calorie ratios according to current weight. It would need to be adjusted as weight decreases. I've also got polycystic ovaries and huge fibroids which I'm waiting for a procedure to remove them. Also have rheumatoid arthritis and very anaemic. So balancing my diet is necessary and low calorie and low fat does not work for me.

For protein that is lean mass. In other words is you were 40% BF% that would give you LBM of 157 lbs (262*.6), so that would be 157 grams of protein. For the fat, since you are overweight, go with the 0.3/lb, so 79 grams of fat. So fat that gives you 1339 calories (79*9+157*4). Fill the rest of your cals in with carbs. So if your goal is 1800 cals, that would give you 461 cals of carbs (1800-1339) which is 115 grams. The other option is setting %, carbs 40%, protein 30% and fats at 03% is a pretty balanced diet.
  • heyyoudontgiveup
    heyyoudontgiveup Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I eat about 10-15% carbs most of the time which ends up being less than 50.
  • cocodrops
    Options
    Hi erikirb
    The method you're using looks familiar. I didn't quite understand your methodology, I'm a bit thick when it comes to stuff like that. Your figure of 79g fat and 157g protein sounds sensible. Is the 157g figure based on my target weight?
    This is all very interesting I must say. But more research I think.
  • cocodrops
    Options
    I think I have it.
    Target weight initially is 175lb. So 175g of protein
    Fat approx 87.5g per day
    Carbs- 10-20% of total day. So 1-2 fruits. 2-3 portions veg grown above the ground. Maybe brown rice on occasion.
    I'm going to give this a go till Christmas and see how this works out.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    depending on the exercise you are going to be doing. I walk/run I eat 50% carb, 25% protein, and 25% fat. I never have had a problem with energy or not feeling full even if I was going a lot of miles. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi guys and gals
    I would like to start eating a lower carb, higher protein fats rather than low calorie low fat diet
    Does anyone know how I can work out what percentage of eat groups I should have each day?
    I'm pretty heavyweight. I'm female, 5'8" (173cm). Weight 262lb or 117kg. I've got s lot of belly fat and a BMI of 40. Low fat low cal diets leave me feeling extremely unsatisfied and I end up scoffing sweets and snacks in the evenings.

Balanced for me. I took the baby step approach to limit carbs a bit more. I took MFP's goals and focused first on hitting protein & fat goals. Then when I became consistent there, I dropped carbs 5% and increased protein 5%. Then when that became "normal" I dropped it again. This (hopefully) makes things more of a lifestyle change. No radical changes. Radical changes make it more likely (for me) to put the weight right back on.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I do 35-25-40 (carbs-fat-protein). I might up the carbs on tough workout days. I never go lower than 40% protein, though. I try to adjust for my activity level. I can have a oats, low cal bread, sweet potatoes and fruits with plenty of calories for olive oil, hummus, lean proteins, etc. It's worked for me. I started at 240lbs and am down to about 214lbs in 8 weeks. But I also "go hard" with cardio and weights (5x week). I've worked out for many years so even though I gained weight a lot of the muscle is still there and I'm starting to see definition even though I have a lot of fat to lose. I'm also 5'8". My goal is 140lbs (but I will adjust as I get closer). I'm going for the lean, muscular look.
  • cocodrops
    Options
    Ummm just the calories to figure out now
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. I hear this is very important when eating a high protein "diet". I've heard horror stories about kidney stones and the like. Not sure if it's true but I don't want to find out!

Good luck!!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hi guys and gals
    You could just do a lower than now cal diet, and not do low fat. Just get your protein intake up to the right levels and then just let the fat/carb ratio fall into place.

It seems like you think Low fat and Hi fat are the only options. With some plans like IIFYM, there is a balance which I think you might find satiating.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

^ the best way is to learn how so you can always help yourself in the future :D
  • cocodrops
    Options
    There's sone really excellent advice and tips given. Thank you ever so much for all your help.
    So....using the various methods given and my current condition, this is what I've got. It will be reviewed again every 5lbs.
    I'm currently 262 lbs, female, 5'8"
    Target weight is 175lbs
    Want to follow a lowish carb diet
    Body Fat=52%
    BMR= 1898
    TDEE=2277
    Calories for now= 1822
    Protein =55% or 175g
    Fat=20% or 61.25g
    Carbs=25%

That scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-counter page is excellent.

Blimey that was hard work!!