Time to get my life together!

Options
I'll keep this short and sweet. I used to be a member of this site about two years ago and had success at losing weight/getting back in shape (logging my food and doing Insanity/P90X everyday).

Fast forward a couple of years, I graduate college and start my first "real world" job that includes a solid 3+ hours of commuting each day. Needless to say, I've let myself go and I'm in the worst shape of my life.

I'm in my mid 20s but it doesn't feel like it. Instead, I feel like I'm an anti social zombie who still lives at home with his parents and is slowly but surely letting life pass him by.

With a Hawaii vacation coming up in April of 2015, I'm looking to make some lifestyle changes to truly take my life back. I want to be able to look in the mirror and feel confident about myself.

My biggest downfall is by far soda (I'm pretty sure I've kept Pepsi in business with all of the Mt. Dew I've drank over the years) combined with my lack of exercising. I work in Chicago and have to leave my house at 7 AM to make it to work by 9, so I've struggled with working out in the mornings. Although, the alternative (exercising after work ~8 PM) isn't much better.

I guess I didn't keep it so short after all but I thought I should write something down, connect with people who might understand where I'm coming from, and introduce myself. I know that there is going to be a ton of ups and downs but I'm looking forward to getting back in shape and taking my life back one day at a time.

Thanks,

Will

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    yep, give up the soda, drink tea, coffee,water. You can do this. Log your calories and eat filling foods. You don't have much time for exercise, find something you enjoy physical on the weekends. 80% food, 20% exercise. Just make sure you get the food right and you can get the weight down. You will feel so much better about yourself.
  • ChrisM32205
    ChrisM32205 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've been off sodas for years. I drink Crystal Light now and usually just black coffee in the morning. Like the above poster said.. you can have success with limited exercise if your diet is right.

Good Luck.

• smandymail
    smandymail Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Such a long commute is a killer - I feel for you. I think long hours like that lead to a desire for sugar more than anything else, because of the immediate satisfaction you feel from eating it. I think that the best thing you can do for yourself is put away a lot of healthy calories when you get up - think whole wheat bread, gobs of peanut butter, bananas. It should help with unhealthy cravings. As for soda, I've discovered that the fizz of the drink is really what entices me. Try some fizzy water? Don't beat yourself up about exercise, especially since your days are so full. Maybe try walking home from a station or two further away in the evenings. :)
  • GonnaDoThis43
    GonnaDoThis43 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Welcome Will! I'm new here too. Lately I've been drinking seltzer water and I add in a squirt of the liquid water flavors (like Mio) to it. That way you still get the fizz and some flavor, but from what I'm reading, it counts as water intake because seltzer water (unless club soda) doesn't have any sodium. Good luck - let's cheer each other on through this! We are taking good steps by getting out here and reaching out. You are young and I think you will find success in changing your eating habits and perhaps trying a power walk over your lunch and/or breaks. You deserve to give yourself those breaks, and need them just for mental stability as well. I agree with brenn24179 - I think a lot of it is what you eat.