when you're sick...

Options
I'm just wondering who stays within their macros/calorie requirements when you're sick? I came down with what I think is the flu last night... I am just trying to keep myself hydrated and eat things that make me feel better. I'm still logging everything.
What do y'all do? Do you treat it as a cheat day almost? I'm thinking I just don't care a whole lot about sodium counts etc while I'm just working on feeling better.

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If anything, you should probably eat even healthier - unknowingly - when you are sick. Protein heals the body after all. But if you go over on calories for a few days to compensate you being sick, that shouldnt be a problem in the long run
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I usually end up UNDER calories when I'm sick, but going a bit over for a few days won't hurt anything. Just do whatever makes you feel better and helps you heal.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    I don't log because I don't want MFP yelling at me for eating 100-300 calories instead of the 1470 I'm supposed to.

When I'm sick it's always something like gastro or intestinal infection. And I don't eat at all then. I haven't had anything related to a cold or flu in 4 years.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    I haven't had anything related to a cold or flu in 4 years.

In fact, I've never had influenza before. Ever. Not once in my 21 years on earth. I just get colds rarely. (Like I said, last time was 4 years ago.)
  • trungalung
    Options
    Whenever I start feeling sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead. True story :wink:

All jokes aside, I just treat it like a normal day with the usual routine and diet unless I'm feeling a fever.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think worrying about this kind of stuff when you're sick is rather obsessive.
  • LovelyMarie774
    LovelyMarie774 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my carbs in check to keep the cortisol down so my body can heal more efficiently, and I try to keep the calories at or below maintenance. I never feel like eating much when I'm sick. I usually just stick with soup.
  • goosebeartalk
    goosebeartalk Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think worrying about this kind of stuff when you're sick is rather obsessive.
    Maybe, but I easily get off track, and I've been on a pretty good streak. I'm better now, but I was running a fever for a few days and honestly, logging everything helped me keep track of what day it was with how much I was sleeping.

Soooo glad to be better!!

And for the record: I went over almost every day for a week. Sometimes you just want cookies when you don't feel good. ;)
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Over the long run it won't matter what you do if it is only for a week. Do what you need to do to get better and don't worry about it.