I'd Like A Few Friends That Are Motivated.

Options
So I've just started this journey and have lost 7 lbs so far, but I REALLY like Italian food, so I'd like to have a few friends to keep my ship on course. Sails are set, but I need a good breeze to keep me going! B) I'd also love to hear your ideas about how you overcome food cravings. Thanks!

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Great job! You can add me for support!
  • rferrar1
    rferrar1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Add me. Italian food is the devil in disguise. Regarding food cravings, they will always be there but I've found that after two weeks of eating healthy, they aren't nearly as strong. Healthy foods will taste better. Its amazing but foods that used to leave me unsatisfied now taste like candy. Two weeks in and it almost feels like cheating when sit down to enjoy a baked sweet potato. The hard part is pushing through the initial phase.
  • Lshona
    Lshona Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You can add me.
  • MoochieRama
    MoochieRama Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You can add me too.
  • GonnaDoThis43
    GonnaDoThis43 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You're off to a great start - keep it going! Add me. I too have food cravings and need to learn how to get beyond that.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I overcome food cravings by having a little bit of the food I am desiring. An amount that fits into my cal goals. Even if it means robbing peter to pay paul by "stealing" cals from other meals to have what I want.

I notice if I don't have what I'm craving, I can go on to crave it for days and even weeks. Not only is this sad to go through, sometimes I overeat a little of other things in an effort to get something close to the same taste. Example: want a carl's junior famous star. eat a jr. jack to try to get somethign close but smaller. end up having that a couple times that week and the following week end up having the famous star. when I could have just had the famous star and been done with it and eaten something more in line with my goals instead of repeated jr. jacks.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I overcome food cravings by having a little bit of the food I am desiring. An amount that fits into my cal goals. Even if it means robbing peter to pay paul by "stealing" cals from other meals to have what I want.

I notice if I don't have what I'm craving, I can go on to crave it for days and even weeks. Not only is this sad to go through, sometimes I overeat a little of other things in an effort to get something close to the same taste. Example: want a carl's junior famous star. eat a jr. jack to try to get somethign close but smaller. end up having that a couple times that week and the following week end up having the famous star. when I could have just had the famous star and been done with it and eaten something more in line with my goals instead of repeated jr. jacks.

I do that!!!! "I really want X, but I'll have Y and see if that fixes it" then "OK, Y didn't fix it, so I'll try Z". Then "Z wasn't quite there, I'll cave and have X" and by that time, I've made room for two other items I didn't quite want, that didn't scratch the itch and now I have to make room for X too.
  • beachchic3030
    beachchic3030 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You can add me im always on the lookout for mfp friends who are actually using mfp
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Well done on losing 7lbs. That's a solid start.
    I really like most food and Italian is definitely one of my favourite cuisines. So, I can certainly relate to the struggle.
    As for the cravings situation I have a similar approach to MyChocolateDiet. Have a little bit of what you're craving. If it doesn't fit your calories for the day, do an extra workout or make a bigger effort to exercise for the rest of the week (depending on the situation). You might also find that you lose the cravings for some foods after a few weeks of changing your eating habits. Alternatively, go for a smaller serving of the food you crave (i.e. entrée size) so that you get the taste but, not the full force of a large serving. If desserts are the challenge share them with a friend or, ask for half of the serving to be packed away and take it home.
    A couple of strategies I regularly employ are: the two course rule: Limiting myself to two courses when I go out. I read the whole menu and decide on whether I'll have an entrée/starter (the terms are fairly interchangeable in Australia) & main OR main and dessert but, I don't have all three unless it's a special occasion (wedding or other catered event)
    The 'Go for Gold' rule: Whatever you're craving, go for the best quality you can afford. This is far more likely to satisfy the craving without disappointing you and it won't take as much to get the kick you're looking for.
    Hope those tips help you on the journey.
    Feel free to add me as a friend too.
  • SassenachJones
    SassenachJones Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can add me. I just hit my first 10lbs down - and I freaking love italian food. Pasta is the devil.
  • jlc041979
    jlc041979 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    You can add me too. You are off to a great start!
  • kareneastwood865
    kareneastwood865 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You are off to a great start! Think of how great you will feel when you reach your goal (well, that's my tactic anyway). Feel free to add me.
  • xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    On my second round on MFP and this time I added friends who motivate. It's made a big difference and I've also enjoyed motivating others. Feel free to add me (all y'all)!
  • SnowWhiteFanatic
    SnowWhiteFanatic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am on everyday. I sent you a request.