A list of healthy foods. I need help eating healthier

Options
ryry1322
ryry1322 Posts: 29 Member
edited November 2014 in Food and Nutrition
Tuna, almonds, cashews, pistachios, peaches, pears, strawberries, greenbeans, salsa, whole wheat bread and pasta, granola bars, jerky, lettuce, deli ham and turkey, beans, coconut oil, avacados, oatmeal, yogurt, cottage cheese, tomatos, cheese, gummies made with real vitamin c. Apple and orange juice. I don't know if it's healthy or not but I eat Aldis fit and active lean pocket things.

I know there is more and I'd like to have them listed because I need more options. I'm at risk flr type 2 diabetes and need to eat better!!!!!

I can't afford fresh fruit so I buy canned or frozen.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You could add more vegetables some days like a few of these: broccoli, swiss chard, kale, spinach, romaine, cabbage, mushrooms, asparagus, avocados, okra, cauliflower, bell peppers, snow peas, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, winter squash, brussels sprouts.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "healthy." Low calorie? I just wonder because there are other factors that make food healthy. Few, if any, foods can accurately be called "unhealthy." Even ice cream and chocolate have vital nutrients.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "healthy." Low calorie? I just wonder because there are other factors that make food healthy. Few, if any, foods can accurately be called "unhealthy." Even ice cream and chocolate have vital nutrients.
    http://www.fitness.gov/eat-healthy/how-to-eat-healthy/
  • celtic_thistle
    celtic_thistle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Seconding Snuggle Smacks. The "quality" of food matters less than the quantity. You can lose weight eating ramen, pizza, and candy if you count your calories and stay at a deficit. You can gain weight drinking fruit juice and eating whole grains if you eat too many calories. Just "eating healthy" will not result in weight loss.

The vitamin C gummies and granola bars are high in sugar and won't keep you full. Bread/pasta are high in carbs and not good for diabetics or anyone at risk for diabetes. "Whole wheat" is no better for you than white. The entire "low fat" thing was based on bad science and has done nothing to curb obesity/diabetes. Fruit juice is no better than soda. Pure sugar, none of the good stuff in fruit like fiber. Avocado and coconut oil are good. Cook your vegetables in coconut oil or butter. High-fat, low-carb foods will be your friend; they won't spike your blood sugar and they'll keep you fuller longer. Fiber is also great; nuts make a good snack but remember they are VERY dense in calories. Watch your servings--get a food scale. They're pretty cheap on Amazon.

If you're really concerned about preventing diabetes, look into the keto diet. I've gotten to my lowest weight since high school by following a loose version of keto (I breastfeed so I'm not super strict on the carbs but I eat few enough to keep me in ketosis--burning fat for energy.)

72074710.png
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Perhaps the OP meant low GI? That would make sense with the threat of diabetes.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the OP meant low GI? That would make sense with the threat of diabetes.

+1
    Here's a great guide!
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=faq&dbid=32
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Apples and bananas fresh really aren't that expensive compared to canned fruit. If you can't afford fresh, frozen is better-canned yuck!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    ryry1322 wrote: »
    I'm at risk flr type 2 diabetes and need to eat better!!!!!
    If you're pre diabetic you need to reduce your carb intake. You don't have to eliminate carbs, but try to keep them under 50g/meal.
    Apple and orange juice.
    Fruit juices are poor choices for diabetics because they are very high in carbs.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/understanding-carbohydrates/carbohydrate-counting.html
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Here is a list of some items that my niece tries to eat daily (she too has diabetes 2):

avocados, beans, fish (no other type of meat - certainly NOT deli meat), yogurt, non-starchy veggies, almonds, pumpkin seeds (food high in magnesium like swiss chard, spinach egg whites, oatmeal.

If you still want to consume bread - choose a WHOLE grain variety - perhaps a sprouted grain product. You do not want 'enriched wheat' bread.
    Good luck
  • ryry1322
    ryry1322 Posts: 29 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Sorry by healthy i mean to lower my cholesterol and triglycerides. Dr said diet and Exersise would help. I know omega 3s and oatmeal helps. I'm at risk, not prediabetic yet and don't want to be
  • roz112
    roz112 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is a big one for me. I also love chickpeas, black beans and lentils. Dark chocolate is good to have around as well when your craving for something rich and yummy. Umm.. maybe some good protein bars to keep handy for when youre busy. Apples, bananas, oranges are always good because they're easy to take with you.
    I also love quinoa because you can make so many different foods with it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Chicken
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Sorry by healthy i mean to lower my cholesterol and triglycerides. Dr said diet and Exersise would help. I know omega 3s and oatmeal helps. I'm at risk, not prediabetic yet and don't want to be

See if you can find Nature's Path oatmeal with flax seed. It's pretty tasty, but also flax seed has Omega-3.

Salmon, obviously, but also sardines, mackeral and other fatty fish.

Nuts and seeds, especially flax, chia and walnuts.

Grass-fed beef. Try to find a place to buy local, farm-fresh, pastured beef. Farmers markets and co-ops are good places to look or ask.

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Look at your macronutrient split. Since you are at risk, you're a half step away from being pre-diabetic. You should learn to get your nutrients in while you're learning about the Glycemic Index and load.

This being said, you can do a reasonable split of your macros be about 1/3, 1/3, and 1/3 of your calories coming from proteins, fats, and carbs (sugars will adjust themselves) which is different from what MFP gives you as a default. Avoid the high sugar foods unless you have checked it with fiber and Glycemic Index. This would include fruit. Certain fruits are better for you than others in the GI category. It will be a little adjustment, but you will find that once you are hitting your macros consistently, it will soon become second nature to pick the right foods.