Why do we fail...

Options
...is it because we cannot manage our own food intake? Or we lack the nutritional knowledge to make the right decisions? Are we just too sedentary from modern day conveniences? Or maybe that we are constantly bombarded with advertisements to consume more than we know we should? Maybe we just have too much to choose from?

Have you ever stopped to consider the food and diet industry? There is so much money to be made off poor Joes and Janes that do not have the correct information about diet and nutrition.
This benefits the suppliers, not the consumers. We buy and eat and feel guilty, so we buy and eat more hoping to fill a hole that will never be filled. This leads to weight gain, sadness, illness and ultimately, depression.

Then, we follow the "diet plan". Not knowing a damn thing about what is in the food, or pills, you put into your mouth. There is no magic pill or diet or magic machine that will fix your problems. End the cycle. Educate yourself about what your are eating and how to keep your body agile. Then make a permanent change.

What about daily life? Now that is stressful. Work, eat, sleep, repeat. Fit everything else on your list sometime between those daily tasks. How can you expect to have time to work out/eat right when you are so pinched for time every day? This is simple. Make the time for yourself. If it is important to you, you will find a way, if not, then you will find an excuse.

Then there are the yo-yo diets. Lose 50lbs, gain 40lbs. back, etc. How do you break this cycle? Make a permanent change.

This is where you start. Look deep into yourself. Do you like what you see? Do you remember your dream, your wish, your goal? What are you hiding? Who are you.. really? Do you have a spiritual connection? Do you have any ambition, drive or willpower? What do you want to do after you lose/gain this weight?

If you do not know the answers to these questions, then you are not ready to start.

This is very important. If you want to lose weight and be successful, stop eating crap. If you can't pronounce the ingredients, then it is probably bad for you. There are persistent organic pollutants that were banned in 42 countries in the world that some countries (usa for example) still use today as food additives. These are pesticides and are the cause of a lot of illness in various countries around the world today. You can check out some basic information about them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistent_organic_pollutant.

The worst offenders are soda, diet drinks (any kind), artificial sweeteners, boxed and/or processed foods, diet foods, anything low fat, low sodium, fat free, etc. Hormones in animals and GMO's are another issue but I will let you make the call on that one.

Best foods to eat. Fresh, locally produced foods. If you live in the city, go outside the city and find a local farmer's, butcher's market or produce stand. Organics (if you can afford them), foods that have ingredients you can pronounce. Water and plenty of it.

Yes, it is more expensive. But in the long run, it is a hell of a lot cheaper than the doctor bills you could be facing in 7-10 years. Digestion issues, gallstones, kidney, liver, bladder, acid reflux, these are just the beginning.

Another thing. Sugar is a drug and some researchers have shown that sugar is more addictive than cocaine. Yikes! Imagine snorting a line of powdered sugar in your kitchen because the oreos have run out. Crazy right? The quicker you lower it and get it out of your diet, the happier you will feel.

Speaking of happy, serotonin levels (that happy feeling) increase after a vigorous workout of 20 min or more, depending on what you are doing. The more you work out your body, the easier it is to cope with life's stresses.

One last thing, get off your butt. The average person spends 3 hours a day in front of the computer or electronic device and another 2-5 hours in front of a tv. That's a scary thought. All that sitting and compressing your spine and stiffening your muscles. No wonder you get sore easily! Turn it off and go for a walk. Stretch for a few minutes even. You will be doing your mind and body a favor. :)

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I thought I only had to eat less calories than I consume to lose weight. No?
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Strong first post.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19640946

"CONCLUSIONS: On the basis of a systematic review of studies of satisfactory quality, there is no evidence of a difference in nutrient quality between organically and conventionally produced foodstuffs. The small differences in nutrient content detected are biologically plausible and mostly relate to differences in production methods."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20463045

"CONCLUSION: From a systematic review of the currently available published literature, evidence is lacking for nutrition-related health effects that result from the consumption of organically produced foodstuffs."

Also:

33lj8lv.jpg

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    ...is it because we cannot manage our own food intake? Or we lack the nutritional knowledge to make the right decisions? Are we just too sedentary from modern day conveniences? Or maybe that we are constantly bombarded with advertisements to consume more than we know we should? Maybe we just have too much to choose from?

All of the above, some of the above, none of the above.

It varies and will include a lot more variables than listed there for most.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Not everyone can eat "low sodium". I hate seeing posts with that. Some of us need more salt than is recommended. I need 10,000mg daily just to make sure that I can hold onto my fluids and not dehydrate. My cardiologist prescribes me salt pills to take.

I exercise, but I don't get that lovely serotonin boost that everyone is always talking about. Must be nice for people who do though. I'm still depressed and anxious and don't sleep.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I lost over 120 pounds eating" junk " all the time. Most of my work dinners were prepacked stuff. Is it healthy? Probably not, but for losing, all about those calories.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Lack of will power and self control..

I could quite easily eat to excess all the time but choose not to..
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Honestly thought you were quoting Michael Kane from Batman; truly disappointing post OP :(.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Success is a habit and a state of mind.

As is failure.
  • 0utrun
    0utrun Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    LOL - love all of the opinions. Everyone has one :) I'm sure you can lose weight on junk, low salt, commercially grown foods, diet foods, etcetera, etc. But this is for health and longevity, not "calories in, calories out" as we have been taught. Do you plan on living your life after you lose the weight on the "diet" you are currently consuming? Cheers!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    0utrun wrote: »
    LOL - love all of the opinions. Everyone has one :) I'm sure you can lose weight on junk, low salt, commercially grown foods, diet foods, etcetera, etc. But this is for health and longevity, not "calories in, calories out" as we have been taught. Do you plan on living your life after you lose the weight on the "diet" you are currently consuming? Cheers!

I tend not to put results from peer reviewed studies in the 'not opinions' bucket, but that's just me.

And yes, I plan to continue living my life eating the foods I eat - in fact, I hit my goal weight 18 months ago and have been doing exactly that (well, I have more allowance for 'junk now' though). Organic v non organic has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    People try to do too much at once (cut out foods, overly restrict, hours of cardio) and get frustrated when it takes too long to see results. I went into this expecting to take eighteen months to lose the weight; now it's going to be 2+ years and I'm fine with that. I can have my chicken breast/broccoli/cauliflower for dinner and enjoy my gelato afterwards, as I did tonight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Lots and lots of calorie dense, nutrient light foods (the so called convenience foods). Lots of foods that don't lead to satiety. Huge portions. Less movement...
  • CryingBlue
    CryingBlue Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Wow that was a book...
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options

No. As soon as I hit my goal weight, I'm setting myself on fire to protest asinine posts like this.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Great post! A little preachy, but I appreciate the thoughts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,629 Member
    Options
    This is very important. If you want to lose weight and be successful, stop eating crap. If you can't pronounce the ingredients, then it is probably bad for you.
    The chemical make up of an apple can't be pronounced correctly by the average person. It wouldn't be prudent to dismiss pronunciation as a reason to delete a food.
    There are persistent organic pollutants that were banned in 42 countries in the world that some countries (usa for example) still use today as food additives. These are pesticides and are the cause of a lot of illness in various countries around the world today. You can check out some basic information about them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistent_organic_pollutant.
    Wiki isn't that reliable a source for empirical evidence.
    The worst offenders are soda, diet drinks (any kind), artificial sweeteners, boxed and/or processed foods, diet foods, anything low fat, low sodium, fat free, etc. Hormones in animals and GMO's are another issue but I will let you make the call on that one.
    I'll disagree. There are lots and lots of people on here that eat these items (myself included) and don't have problems with weight loss or maintenance. The key is calorie control just like any weight loss program.
    Best foods to eat. Fresh, locally produced foods. If you live in the city, go outside the city and find a local farmer's, butcher's market or produce stand. Organics (if you can afford them), foods that have ingredients you can pronounce. Water and plenty of it.
    Here's the make up of a "natural" egg:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--60Iij3kT--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/19cthrwhxoxpmpng.png

I'd be in awe if someone could pronounce every chemical component without fail.
    Yes, it is more expensive. But in the long run, it is a hell of a lot cheaper than the doctor bills you could be facing in 7-10 years. Digestion issues, gallstones, kidney, liver, bladder, acid reflux, these are just the beginning.
    Since most issues for people are more genetic than environmental ( although environmental can contribute to a point), eating organic isn't going to ensure better overall health.
    Another thing. Sugar is a drug and some researchers have shown that sugar is more addictive than cocaine. Yikes! Imagine snorting a line of powdered sugar in your kitchen because the oreos have run out. Crazy right? The quicker you lower it and get it out of your diet, the happier you will feel.
    No, sugar is a carb and used for energy needs. The body CREATES glucose in the body. To say it's more "addictive" than cocaine is incorrect information. Don't make things up that aren't confirmed by peer reviewed studies.
    One last thing, get off your butt. The average person spends 3 hours a day in front of the computer or electronic device and another 2-5 hours in front of a tv. That's a scary thought. All that sitting and compressing your spine and stiffening your muscles. No wonder you get sore easily! Turn it off and go for a walk. Stretch for a few minutes even. You will be doing your mind and body a favor. :)
    While exercise is good for improving fitness and health, it's not needed for weight loss.
    Even the most seasoned lifter/exerciser can get majorly sore from doing a workout they aren't accustomed to. So how does that explain the "get sore easily" statement?

I believe your intentions are good, but a lot of the information you're posting isn't that accurate. It sounds more like you're echoing a lot of fitness and gym myths that you've been exposed to.

I'll give you the main reasons why people fail:

Lack of education on weight loss
    Lack of a specific plan to achieve it
    Lack of commitment to following the plan

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,629 Member
    Options
    I've mentioned this before..................If low quality food, junk food were SPECIFICALLY the reason that health is impacted enough to shorten life, then prison inmates shouldn't be living very long at all. After all, that's all they eat daily. For years on in. And the obesity rate is quite low in prison.
    Their options aren't that of eating organic, nor being able to choose higher quality food. What would be your response to that?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png