Getting back on track

Options
Hi MyFitness friends. I've basically spent the past month not working out and eating junk. I've gained a bit of weight back, after losing 30 pounds. My routine went from working out 6 days a week to missing one to missing them all. I'm hoping tomorrow will be the start of my new surge into fitness again. That being said, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips to get the ball rolling and not fall off the wagon again.
Thank you!

Replies

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Do an exercise you enjoy, and create good habits.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    First thing is to decide to get back on track and the second thing is to follow up. The only way I get motivated is to "just do it" and the motivation comes second.
  • AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Okay, I haven't been very successfully lately at losing weight, so my advice comes as-is no warranty.

You've spent the past month eating junk.
    -Make sure you get some junk while tracking. For example, I have dove dark chocolate almost every day.

Went from 6 days to none with exercise.
    -If the exercise feels like torture to you, find something you enjoy more, and worry less about the calorie burn. I could burn 400 calories on a treadmill in 45 minutes, but lots of times I walk my dog instead, she's old and slow, it takes 45 minutes, I only burn 190 calories, but I enjoy it more.

Start of my new surge
    -Sadly, everyone is hardcore and a perfectionist for 2 or 3 weeks, and then they quit. I recommend taking your time, don't get pissed if you go over your goal limit by 300 or 400 calories a few days the first couple weeks. Give yourself time to adjust to tracking and weighing. Remind yourself it is a marathon not a sprint. When you screw up, remember it's a trend, not the success or failure of a particular day.

The world's worst wagon ride
    -When I fall off the wagon...sometimes for days, the first day must be like what it feels like to be released from prison...FREEDOM! I eat whatever and how much of it I want! The second day is also fun, no scanning bar codes with my phone, no weighing food on the scale, sweet baby Jesus, food is enjoyable again! Eventually, I'll weigh myself, and see a 2 to 3 lb gain. Then I remember how much it sucked to weigh 254, and I know I don't want to go down that road again, so I get back on the wagon that's going down the weight loss trail :wink:
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    you caught yourself before you gained it all back. That's the important thing. We all do that… even people in maintenance .
    I say fake it till you make it. Just log tomorrow and workout. Make yourself do it..and before you know it.. you'll be wanting to do it again.
    Also..get back on track now before the holidays… I'm adding five or even more minutes to my workout so i can eat on the holidays and not gain.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Try to do exercise that you like, but once a week, try something you haven't tried before. If you keep variety, it's less boring. If you get sick of the thing you usually do, there are plenty of other things you've done to pick from.

Try to change your eating habits. Don't just make portion adjustments, add in foods that are good for you on a regular basis. If you can change bad habits into good ones, you've done yourself a lifelong favor.

But make sure it's all what you want to do! If you don't really-really-really want to do the work of losing, don't start. If you don't want it, you'll quit and then get mad at yourself for not doing the thing you never wanted to do, anyway. That's a lot of work and guilt and shame for no reason. Only do the work of losing if it is what will make you happy. :)
    Options
    I'm in the same boat :-( fell off the wagon a few weeks back. Feel really crappy now, and disappointed in myself.
    I'm back on it as of today! I reckon if I can manage a perfect 2 weeks (staying within cals and working out at least 4 times per week) I'll feel a lot better.

You can do it too :-)
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Working out 6 days a week is quite a lot though - Maybe try working out 3 times a week, and get back on track with your eating!

I used to work out a lot, but it was too much. I used to get so annoyed if I missed a class or didn't burn 'x' amount of calories.

Ok now I may have put on a few lbs, but I am more happier and now I am trying to focus more on eating healthier. To me at the moment, sorting my diet out is key. If I get to the gym a couple times a week, its a bonus!

Good luck!

The winter sucks though - I just want to eat rubbish!