17 Day Diet Cycle

Options
Just a quick note here. I did read another post listed on here about the 17 day diet. It got kind of ugly. Just a heads up- Im not interested in being bashed. My choice, my body. What I am interested in is hearing about other peoples journeys and results who have followed the 17 Day Diet. Plus it would be awesome to hear about any recipes or tips about the first cycle etc.

Cheers to all for much!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have to admit I started with the 17day diet and yo yo'd on it 2x...

The third time I did it was January 2013 and I dropped the first 25lbs that you see on my ticker...

What I learned from it was that the 4th cycle isn't enough to keep the weight off...it indicates you should eat "reasonable portions" but doesn't really give you what reasonable portions are...

After cycle 2 in February I started pretty much eating that way and continued with my exercise until June 17th when I join MFP to count my calories...

I have kept the weight off this time but that is because of calorie counting...

My opinion...there is nothing wrong with this eating plan except it doesn't equip you with the tools you need to maintain your weight after you get to phase 4...

Some of the "rules" are kind of silly...like no fruit after 2pm...green tea...hot lemon water in the morning etc.

The first cycle does help you lose weight but it is mostly water weight as you are limited carbs to an extreme...

I did however get some great foods from the book that I love to eat now...like the turkey taco salad..that is the bomb esp in the summer time...

My only suggestion is this...do cycle 1 and 2 then start counting calories and be at a reasonable calorie deficet...do not for one minute think tho that the weigh loss will continue as fast as it did while eating through the cycles. Do not try to do too much exercise while doing phase 1 and two..you just wont have the energy...

I tried to do zumba one day and it was awful...20mins of moderate exercise is plenty.

Oh and the first cycle is not easy...no starches..you feel "empty" a lot...doesn't matter how many veggies/salad and lean meat you eat...there is a feeling of "emptiness"...that does not go away.
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options
    Bumping for ya!
  • KELLYRENEEPHILLIPS
    KELLYRENEEPHILLIPS Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on starting the 17 day diet on Tuesday. Tomorrow is my birthday. I WILL have cake, lol. I tried this diet a couple years ago but didn't really follow it religiously and lost six pounds in about two weeks. Well, I have a lot more to lose this time. I need to lose about forty pounds. I want to follow this through the right way. Hoping this can be a forum for some encouragement and ideas along the way!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    How did you ladies do??

Unlike the other poster I do not feel empty on C1. I feel full, all the time. I guess the difference is i'm not a huge bread, pasta or potato lover. Well.. pasta done right is to die for, but I never have time for that sort of commitment. :laugh: I guess that makes it easier though. Days 3 through 7 sucks as you withdrawl from all the sugar. But the rest of the diet rocks your socks!!

I do agree about calorie counting. I'd do it even through C1 and 2 so you know what you are eating. Is way easy to undereat during c1. (like today under 1400 for me.. 200 shy of where i'm supposed to be.. grumble grumble.)

I exercise throughout all 3 cycles, but do a bit less during c1. Only do what you are comfortable doing don't push it. 17 minutes per day is what the book says, of light to moderate exercise, like walking.

Although by day 17 i could kill for a pork chop. LOL (ok not really, but maybe depending on the week :flowerforyou: )

I have a lot of tips and stuff if you ladies have questions. :)

ETA: Awesome website for you to check out btw: http://17ddgal.blogspot.com/
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with eating less, moving a little more?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    some folks just love "plans" that tell them exactly what to do.

I can't imagine it, nor would I ever consider it... but hey, "eating less and moving a little more" isn't as shiny and advertised. Dr. Oz or Oprah can't make money off of it.
  • jdzindagi
    jdzindagi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Can anybody guide me with this 17 say diet plan.I wana start it
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Nothing and this book says exactly that...

It was fine and works fine and you get lots of protien and veggies etc on the first 17days and whole grains etc with lots of protien veggies, healthy fats and oils on the 2nd 17 days...it's the next 2 phases where you start "eating reasonable portions" that can get people...

As I said in my first post it's fine if you don't mind cutting out starches for a while...I personally wont do it again...not because I didn't lose weight on it but because learning about calories, reasonable portions etc will help keep the weight off...where as the book really doesn't help with that and that is my only problem with it.

Never mentions calories, macros, portion size etc.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Can anybody guide me with this 17 say diet plan.I wana start it

To start. Get the original book. A lot of library's have it. There is an awesome blog with a lot of recipes and : http://17ddgal.blogspot.com/

That's essentially what you end up doing. It tells you to increase activity as you progress and to eat proper portions. That's why I think this meal plan combined with calorie counting is the way to go.

BTW, I started on Monday and I'm down 6 pounds already. yea yea i k now it's "water" weight. but weight is weight and i'm quite happy about it. :)
  • jesskat35
    jesskat35 Posts: 3
    Options
    How are you doing?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    How are you doing?

Yea i'd like to know too ;)

Me? I was doing great.. then I ate (lots and lots) cupcakes, and other unhealthy food and drank wine.. So i'm starting again. Gotta get rid of the sugar craving, then i'll be all good :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/meal-planning/meal-plans/

14 day plan, you could always repeat days 1 thru 3 and it's free, no book. I am not advocating eating clean since it is relative. Just something easier to follow without the pixie dust, unicorns, and rainbows(meaning it is just a guideline for meal prep and ideas). Enjoy!
  • lore2810
    lore2810 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    is anyone doing this right now?
    is there a group on here?
  • kydogwalker
    kydogwalker Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi, I haven't found a group yet, that's what I was looking for also. I'm on day 3 of cycle one after a five day fruit vege fast to clean myself out and reset the internal clock. I don't have the book, just know the general plan and know a good bit about food and nutrition. It's the first time I'm trying something so structured, but I thought I needed setting like this to get going at this point in my life.

How about you?

• HBinOC
    HBinOC Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I did it with success 2 years ago- lost 18 pounds up to cycle 3. I did not drink any wine but cheated with hot chocolate every so often. I found that it retrained my brain to eat healthier and that is what I needed at the time. What you do after is up to you whether you maintain or gain. I fell back into the fast food, wine diet due to stress at work. I plan on starting it again in January after the holidays, but incorporating the diet in small bits into my everyday until then- like the yogurt and tea. ( and due to the diet I must say I have had no desire in having a baked white potato in 2 years but found sweet potatoes are much more awesome!)