I don't know what Im doing wrong!

Options

Replies

• baronvrinda2014
    baronvrinda2014 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    At times the you're not able to lose weight because of a low calorie intake. You need calories to burn of the fat or change the shape of your body too. And maybe there are no changes because your body is on a borderline starvation mode holding tightly on to the calories you feed it. Considering your BMI is fine too, maybe you need to increase your diet if nothing else is working.
    Hope this helps ;)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    roz112 wrote: »

Okay ill try to be a bit more specific with exactly everything i inputed so hopefully you guys can spot my mistakes!

Breakfast *measured everything*: 0% plain liberte greek yogurt (116 grams) (67 cals)
    Banana (30 grams) (27 cals)
    protein powder (28.9 grams) (110 cals)
    Total: 212

Lunch
    Espresso black: 5 cals
    Lentils (1/4 cup) (57 cals) *measure with a measuring cup
    Half baked sweet potato with olive oil (81 cals)
    Red kidney bean quinoa salad (1/2 cup) (115 cals)
    Chocolate pure protein (180 cals)
    Cauliflower (100grams) (25 cals)
    Total: 463

Dinner: 2 egg whites (hardboiled) (cals 34)
    Whole wheat toast (1oz) (78 cals)
    Light dill cream cheese (1TB) (40 cals)
    Total: 152

Snack: Chapmans froyo (90 cals for 1/2cup) i wouldnt say i had more than 3 tablespoons
    (lets say 45 cals)
    Merci chocolate (the small little bar ones are 70 cals for the whole thing) i only had half so
    35 cals
    Total: 80

TOTAL: 907 calories
    I literally put nothing else into my mouth that day lol so what am i doing wrong????

Lentils - weigh them - dont use cups.
    sweet potato - weigh it. they arent all the same size.
    kidney beans and quinoa - weigh them!
    pure protein bar - weigh it -dont ever rely on serving info on back.

egg whites - weigh it,
    Whole wheat toast - weigh them..

You can see where I am going here... Even your ice cream can be weighed. Put bowl on scale, turn on add ice cream take weight boom!!

I think you rely too much on the serving size info printed on the items. I guarantee you they arent accurate. My bread I eat says 2 slices = 1 serving 53grams - but RARELY are the 2 slices actually 53 grams.. I mean the ends of the loaf are smaller, the middle are bigger - it may average to 53 - but it isn't exact.

Weigh EVERYTHING for a week and compare your results (especially if you say you normally eat the same things) I bet you notice a big difference....
    I appreciate what you've shared with her as well...it's made me more aware too...

I do go by pkgs and will now be a bit more careful how I do that ...well I mean if a pkg. says 1 serving = 28g I will measure out 28g or are you saying that's not accurate?

I'd given thought to bread but never actually weighed it...think I will out of curiosity. thanks!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    At your weight, your hips are probably wide because your hip bones are wide. Your diet isn't going to change that. :)

Go figures, genetically my moms side of the family is all like that :(

What's that old saying...

"Those are childbearing hips!"

lol.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're logging everything you drink other than water also. People tend to miss that.

Thank you for your help. I only drink water, and sparkling water occasionally. I hate juice and soda (shocking i know lol)

But, you said you had an espresso? Shouldn't have any calories of course but to say you drink coffee then say you only drink water suggests there may be other things sneaking in that you are missing?

For your original posts without the quantity of each of those things the information doesn't tell us how much you are eating.

Also be careful of what entries you use, a lot of stuff in the database is inaccurate. Check them against labels and/or other sites and if you are eating something like say a banana don't use the entries for things like "large" weigh it and use the grams or ounces.

Okay ill try to be a bit more specific with exactly everything i inputed so hopefully you guys can spot my mistakes!

Breakfast *measured everything*: 0% plain liberte greek yogurt (116 grams) (67 cals)

Lunch

Snack: Chapmans froyo (90 cals for 1/2cup) i wouldnt say i had more than 3 tablespoons
    (lets say 45 cals)
    Merci chocolate (the small little bar ones are 70 cals for the whole thing) i only had half so
    35 cals

I literally put nothing else into my mouth that day lol so what am i doing wrong????

For the cream cheese, I would weigh it. I found I was always using more than a serving on my bagel, usually 1.5-2 servings when I weighed it, even though it didn't measure as much.
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Wow,I think this is the first "what am I doing wrong" post I've seen where the OP doesn't argue against everything suggested. Good Luck OP!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this OP seems pretty together.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    At times the you're not able to lose weight because of a low calorie intake. You need calories to burn of the fat or change the shape of your body too. And maybe there are no changes because your body is on a borderline starvation mode holding tightly on to the calories you feed it. Considering your BMI is fine too, maybe you need to increase your diet if nothing else is working.
    Hope this helps ;)

No no no. The OP has realized her problem, and your advice is inaccurate.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Your bmi is 19.3 on the low side of healthy.. Underweight is less than, 18.5.

Maybe work your bottom harder than other areas at the gym since you feel that's your problem area? I wouldn't focus so much on the number on the scale as I would your overall look and feel.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Wow,I think this is the first "what am I doing wrong" post I've seen where the OP doesn't argue against everything suggested. Good Luck OP!

This. What a relief considering the input of everyone that the OP is listening.

OP if you want better shape then get back to the gym or start doing some exercises at home. Stop with the weight loss and go resistance/weights now.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So basically this is my first time creating a post although I've been using MFP for quite a while. I'm 5'8 and about 127 pounds (Im quite lean but more bottom heavy). I used to be pretty consistent with my exercise regime but I haven't been going for the past 2-3 weeks because of my new job (office job, sitting for 8 hrs) and the last thing I can think about doing is going to the gym after work. For the past 2 months I've also switched over to being a vegetarian (used to only eat protein because i LOVED meat). I usually eat pretty consistently throughout the week. For example today i had..

Breakfast: Protein shake (greek yogurt, promasil protein powder, banana)
    Lunch: quinoa, red kidney beans, sweet potato, lentils, and raw cauliflower salad (homemade)
    and then a few hours later had a pure protein bar with an espresso
    Dinner: egg whites, toast with dill cream cheese
    Snack: few spoonfuls of chapmans chocolate froyo, piece of chocolate
    My calories for today were about 950 which i know is quite low but i eat when im hungry and stop when im full. I usually eat more when i workout although my calories are still usually pretty low.

My question is why does my weight not fluctuate at all! When i workout pretty hard and keep up with my macro nutrients i stay the same weight as when i eat a lot (junk food)(1800 cals more) and don't work out. How is that possible. I cant seem to lose or gain weight. Can someone please explain to me how this weight stuff works (i know calories in and out but what am i missing) and why cant i seem to make a change. (i also like to search a lot about how calories and weight loss and all that stuff works during my free time)

Any advice would be great! oh and also im ganna start going to the gym saturday and sunday and 1 day during the weekday :)

you only have 5lbs until you're clinically underweight

your weight shouldn't drop any more

but for body recomp start heavy weights, and eat to fuel - you may put on weight that you can then cut

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think what you're doing wrong is trying to lose weight. You're on the low end of your healthy weight range. If you're unhappy with your body I'd recommend doing body recomposition (lowering your body fat percentage while staying the same weight) and working on your self-perception.

As for why your weight doesn't fluctuate we can't really tell much from one day of input. It's possible, for example, that you eat 900 calories for a few days and then have a much higher day which balances out your deficit.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

Lunch

(lets say 45 cals)
    35 cals

egg whites - weigh it,

You can see where I am going here... Even your ice cream can be weighed. Put bowl on scale, turn on add ice cream take weight boom!!

I think you rely too much on the serving size info printed on the items. I guarantee you they arent accurate. My bread I eat says 2 slices = 1 serving 53grams - but RARELY are the 2 slices actually 53 grams.. I mean the ends of the loaf are smaller, the middle are bigger - it may average to 53 - but it isn't exact.

Weigh EVERYTHING for a week and compare your results (especially if you say you normally eat the same things) I bet you notice a big difference....
    I appreciate what you've shared with her as well...it's made me more aware too...

I do go by pkgs and will now be a bit more careful how I do that ...well I mean if a pkg. says 1 serving = 28g I will measure out 28g or are you saying that's not accurate?

I'd given thought to bread but never actually weighed it...think I will out of curiosity. thanks!

Go by the grams/ounces for serving sizes not the cups/tablespoons. This morning I put cottage cheese in a container and it said a serving was 1/2 cup (113g). I was using 1/4 cup to scoop it into the container but when I did 2 scoops (1/2 cup) it weighed 130 grams. The container lists 90 calories per serving going by grams so measuring using spoons adds about 14 calories that I wouldn't have realized I was eating. Do this for every food (especially higher calorie foods like nuts, avocados, etc) and that can really pack on sneaky calories.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I thought the consensus was that she needs to stop attemtping to lose weight because she weighs little enough as it is and she was more bothered with shape, which means finding time for the gym and resistance training?
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Lunch

(lets say 45 cals)
    35 cals

egg whites - weigh it,

Yes - exactly, I take the WEIGHT shown as a serving size on a package, and actually weigh that amount out to be sure I am actually getting the nutritional information based on the serving weight. It works much better!

But again, as I totally missed this the last time, you are at a healthy weight now, so you would want to focus on trying to RESHAPE your body with weights and resistance training. Loosing 5 lbs won't make a huge difference in your bottom :)

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    My goal weight was from a while back that i never got around to changing, i was just playing out with the numbers to see how it would effect my overall calories. Im pretty happy with my weight but im a little disproportionate lol I have a really skinny upper body but wide hips.

That's just the way you're built.
  • roz112
    roz112 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone! Good news is i went to the gym on the weekend so hopefully this is a great new start for me to get back into the habit of working out. And as for my calorie counting, its still a bit difficult to weigh everything and sometimes i just want a few bites of something like some pistachios so i grab 5 or 6 without weighing it but oh well i know where my mistake is so i just have to be a lot more conscious of it but still also live my life lol.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Lunch

(lets say 45 cals)
    35 cals

egg whites - weigh it,

Go by the grams/ounces for serving sizes not the cups/tablespoons. This morning I put cottage cheese in a container and it said a serving was 1/2 cup (113g). I was using 1/4 cup to scoop it into the container but when I did 2 scoops (1/2 cup) it weighed 130 grams. The container lists 90 calories per serving going by grams so measuring using spoons adds about 14 calories that I wouldn't have realized I was eating. Do this for every food (especially higher calorie foods like nuts, avocados, etc) and that can really pack on sneaky calories.
    Ok, thanks, that's what I've been doing up to this point... guess I'm good.

Appreciate you posting. :)

• shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    127 and 5'8"?! You don't need to lose any weight; you just need to gain muscle!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at this weight, and how long have you been eating around the same amount? As people have said, you're at a pretty low weight for your height anyway so I certainly wouldn't stress about losing more, and that'll be why you're not losing, because you don't need to. Your body is probably happy at that weight and doesn't want to go lower.

Looking at your one day, I'd worked that out to be about 1200 calories (obviously I didn't know amounts, but based on a serving size I'd probably have) which is still quite low, but that's just one day.

I suggest aiming for around 1500 calories, and using a food scale to be accurate, and doing some strength training. I also wouldn't focus on lowering your weight any more.
  • roz112
    roz112 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at this weight, and how long have you been eating around the same amount? As people have said, you're at a pretty low weight for your height anyway so I certainly wouldn't stress about losing more, and that'll be why you're not losing, because you don't need to. Your body is probably happy at that weight and doesn't want to go lower.

Looking at your one day, I'd worked that out to be about 1200 calories (obviously I didn't know amounts, but based on a serving size I'd probably have) which is still quite low, but that's just one day.

I suggest aiming for around 1500 calories, and using a food scale to be accurate, and doing some strength training. I also wouldn't focus on lowering your weight any more.

I used to be 117 before about 2 years ago and slowly came up to 127.