Making the Most out of Gym Time

Options
Good morning,

I typically run for my cardio exercise but as the weather begins to get cold and rainy, I've decided to start taking advantage of the free gym at my college. I work on campus and I get an hour and a half break, which allows me for about an hour's worth of actual exercise and a half hour of changing/shower/etc.

This is the list of machines they have:
: Concept II Rowers, Nordic Tracks, Stairmasters, Windracer Bikes, Treadmills, Fitron Bikes, Versa Climbers, Gravitron, Elliptical Trainers, Upper Body Ergometer, 7 Cybex, 6 Hydra-Fitness strength building machines and specialized weight resistance machines."

What would you guys recommend I use to burn the most calories within that hour?

Thank you!

Replies

• TheTiagooo
    TheTiagooo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Something like a 15 minute warm up, then 25 minutes of strength cardio (by trying to keep breaks between sets short, and keep the heart pumping), and finishing with 20 minutes High intensity interval training on one of the cardio machines.

Though it's not the easiest thing to log into mfp, everything I've read says that would be an effective way to spend the hour.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For most calories, then running remais your best option. For best effect, probably a combination of running and resistance training, or rowing.

The rower gives you a very thorough whole body combination of CV and resistance.

It really depends on what your end goals are.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    You have a great variety of machines there so why no try them all?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    how are you gaging when and how much you need to progress?
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help, everyone! I'm mostly interested in using machines that can burn 300 calories for a 30-40 minute session. Ideally something that works more than just my legs.

Hope that helps.
  • TheTiagooo
    TheTiagooo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    On my above post, both weight training and HIIT keep calories burning long after you leave the gym. It's worth considering, at least. Your choice of course.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The one you enjoy the most. variety is good. That said I am a fan of the rower. If It were me then id do 5 min rower warm up, then some weights for 35mins finishing with 30mins on the rower. Whichever bit of cardio you like is fine. The number of calories you burn in an hour depends on the effort you put in.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You have a great variety of machines there so why no try them all?

• lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to take a little bit of everyone's advice and do some variety. Thank you all soo much! :]