College Girls Trying to Lose Wt Despite Stress

Options
I am a college girl, graduated and going on the the health field... looking for some inspiration and words of encouragement. Feel free to join in!

Replies

• pknjhh
    pknjhh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Just cut carbs under 50 and drop sugars out of diet. Keep protein up about 150. Cardio 45-60minutes 5 days a week with heart rate at 130. It's easy if you follow that =)))
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    pknjhh wrote: »
    Just cut carbs under 50 and drop sugars out of diet. Keep protein up about 150. Cardio 45-60minutes 5 days a week with heart rate at 130. It's easy if you follow that =)))

Can't tell if joking.
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Drop sugar, definitely. Carb & protein intake depends on your goals and body type. Read up on heatlthy/clean eating. There are a lot of opinions, resources and methods out there so it will really be up to you to decide on what you want to try. No one source or program is a be-all-end-all. Find something you can easily adapt* to and stick with it until you have given it fair time to see results then assess if it is working for you.

This is a continously learning and adapting lifestyle you are choosing and I wish you all the best in it!
    *this does require a bit of change, as a trainer continuously told me, if you want to see a change, make a change
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi. College student who also works full time.

Stay in a calorie deficit. Lose weight. Ignore the rest of the nonsense. I recommend doing some sort of exercise you enjoy, and resistance training is a big plus.

ETA: Currently 90 lbs down. Clearly, I've had a little success with this method.
  • ems212
    ems212 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    JTick wrote: »
    Hi. College student who also works full time.

Stay in a calorie deficit. Lose weight. Ignore the rest of the nonsense. I recommend doing some sort of exercise you enjoy, and resistance training is a big plus.

ETA: Currently 90 lbs down. Clearly, I've had a little success with this method.

Also find good ways of handling stress. Recent college graduate, and I learned that the majority of my weight gain was from stress. I would stress out during finals or mid-terms and I would chow down on the chips and pizza and soda while studying because it helped calm my nerves a bit. Now, I do yoga whenever I stress and drink extra water. Keeps me away from the bad foods :)
  • bangbangchoochootrain
    Options
    I got hit with the stress eating hard this past midterms, because its so much easier to just grad a slice of pizza than sit in line at the deli waiting for a wrap, or to make a salad. And its easier to eat chips constantly while studying that procure and a slice a cucumber.

What I ended up realizing was that...

a) running helps with my stress management because it makes me get up early, shower, and be ready before class rather than running late. It also makes me body tired rather than mentally tired so I get more sleep. I have no idea what I'm going to do in the winter.

b) taking the time to eat healthy(ish) when you don't want to let's you go out and celebrate without worrying too much.

c) It is worth a trip to the grocery store to snack up on healthy study foods. Carrots, celery, anything that crunches really. If you don't have the unhealthy stuff in your dorm room, or at least not in your desk drawer, you won't eat it. Gum also helps with my snack urges.

Hope this helps!

• fabidevo
    Options
    here guys let me help. its basic nutrition that you need to know before going on any diet program. your body has a very complex yet somewhat simple system of operations that determines if you either gain weight, lose weight, or maintain the current weight you currently have. to get to the simple basics of nutrition and weight control you must know that calories in = calories out. this means that if you are consuming more calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight,( which can be found using your TDEE ,total daily energy expenditure) you will gain weight, this is also known as a caloric surplus. so in order to lose weight you must eat less calories than your maintenance (TDEE). and in order to maintain you must eat the same amount of calories your body expends per day. so at the end of the day calories in=calories out is the only secret to weight management. now there are also nutrients your body needs in order to maintain healthy body metabolism, growth, and other essential bodily functions. there are 2 groups of nutrients the MACRO-nutrients and the MICRO-nutrients. the MACROS are CARBOHYDRATES, PROTEIN, and FATS. Your body needs a good amount of each MACRO- nutrient(which depends on your personal needs) aka not everyone is the same nor will everyone react the same to certain preset percentages of them. although a good rule of thumb is to have balance in proportion to your calorie goal. There are 9 calories per gram of FAT, and 4 calories per gram of PROTEIN, as well as CARBS. Now , the MICRO-nutrients (VITAMINS & MINERALS) and are also helpful and essential yet they are needed in much lower quantities. They are also necessary (just like MACRO-nutrients) in regards to human health. NOW in order to get your TDEE you can use many types of calculations but i recommend using this ----> http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ just plug in the numbers and adjust accordingly for either weight loss, or gain, or just keep it the same for maintenance.

Now that we have basics of nutrition let me help you with the Basics of your DIET. now a DIET is not something we go on or off, even though you may think this is what a diet is actually defined and thought of, a DIET is the kinds of foods a person consumes on a regular and habitual basis. a DIET can consist of many types of foods, but as long as your DIET consists of a majority of whole foods, fruits, and vegetables, one can eat whatever they want if it fits in their MACROS and calories. I and many active fitness/health people follow the DIET of IIFYM (if it fits your MACROS). which is basically flexible dieting aka eating foods you love and like while meeting your macro nutrient needs. now this so called DIET does not mean you can eat whatever types of foods all day everyday in untracked amounts. it simply states that if you eat a majority of whole foods and vegetables and meet the minimum required MACROS your body needs you can also eat other things which a majority of uninformed people consider as "bad foods". there is no good or bad food in the sense that their are only foods. now any types of foods can either help you achieve and meet your MACROS or not, but all that IIFYM really does is help you be flexible in what you eat. of course balance and moderation is required. so if you eat a majority of whole foods, friuts, and vegetables (around 80 percent of your diet) you can have those other foods in your diet as well.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!