I need Primal BluePrint Friends!!!

Options
jmhunter82
jmhunter82 Posts: 23 Member
edited November 2014 in Motivation and Support
I did the Primal BluePrint and LOVED it about 4 years back. I'm out to do it again. It's the only thing that will work for me since I have PCOS and I've learned that the hard way-looking for quick fixes and thinking that I SHOULD be able to eat anything I'd like without gaining-like a teen.
I'd love to have friends experienced in this and with recipes and someone I can lean on. :) Thanks a TON.

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I had no idea what it was, but now I understand it's a DIEt.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    There is a paleo group on here you should join. You wont get much support here. Good luck though. I did not have any long term success with it.
  • jmhunter82
    Options
    Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome.
    PCOS messes with your insulin levels and your ability to break it all down and out. It makes you hang on to it all.
    My family doctor as well as my GYN suggested low carb clean eating.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It is a specific book about paleo eating, with even more pseudoscience about how it will "allow your genes to express themselves."

Since the general principle is focused on veggies and proteins, it seems reasonable, but it really ends up being overly restrictive for most people.

OP, there are a number of threads on paleo diets, but also check out the ones on South Beach/Sonoma/ Mediterranean diets, as the underlying principles are similar, but they do allow for small amounts of whole grains and are less specific about which fruit and veg are allowed. Even if you choose the Primal Blueprint, these threads will have recipes and support for people who are making similar, if not identical food choices.

• jmhunter82
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    jmhunter82 wrote: »
    Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome.
    PCOS messes with your insulin levels and your ability to break it all down and out. It makes you hang on to it all.
    My family doctor as well as my GYN suggested low carb clean eating.

You're concerned about increase blood glucose levels?

Why only primal? Why not low/moderate carb

Primal is Low/Moderate Carb...........
  • jmhunter82
    Options
    It sure isn't, but it is what I prefer. We all have our preferences. I like to accept peoples differences. I don't tell anyone else they are wrong for the way they want to do it. I accept it and wish them well.
    This is the way that I would like to do it.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, then go for it. The only thing I would suggest is talking with your doctor, but if they're on board and it has worked for you in the past, then I wouldn't worry about what others say except for Good Luck. ^_^
  • jmhunter82
    Options
    Thank you, I appreciate that. Yes-2 of my doctors have suggested it.
  • dubird
    Options
    I think she's saying it only works for her because of PCOS, not that it's the only thing that works for others with PCOS.
  • jmhunter82
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    I think she's saying it only works for her because of PCOS, not that it's the only thing that works for others with PCOS.

Exactly thank you.
    Low/moderate carb is the only thing that will work for most with PCOS, and I would prefer to chose the Primal Blueprint as my Low/Moderate Carb diet.

What is sad is that you'd love to attack someone who is on fire this morning because she woke up making the choice to try to be healthier in her own way. Some one who is passionate about something-at the very least.

Way to go humanity man!

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Exactly thank you.
    Low/moderate carb is the only thing that will work for most with PCOS, and I would prefer to chose the Primal Blueprint as my Low/Moderate Carb diet.

What is sad is that you'd love to attack someone who is on fire this morning because she woke up making the choice to try to be healthier in her own way. Some one who is passionate about something-at the very least.

Way to go humanity man!

Damn, I must be an anomaly! Though granted my endocrinologist said that insulin resistance is a "hallmark of PCOS" and didn't outright say I have PCOS. I was instructed to "watch my carbs, and eat low GI foods". Metformin will be the next step should I have an excessive plateau or if my insulin levels do not come down. Miss_1999 didn't do any sort of primal diet that I am aware of, and she's lost a considerable amount after a PCOS diagnosis.
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My brother does Primal Blueprint and recommended it for me. I have the 21-day book, but haven't read it yet, but I'm on board with the concept of low-moderate carb. He lost 100 lbs on it and has kept it off over a year. Do you do BPC? Have you ever made BP Tea? I'm not much of a coffee drinker.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Exactly thank you.

Way to go humanity man!

Damn, I must be an anomaly! Though granted my endocrinologist said that insulin resistance is a "hallmark of PCOS" and didn't outright say I have PCOS. I was instructed to "watch my carbs, and eat low GI foods". Metformin will be the next step should I have an excessive plateau or if my insulin levels do not come down. Miss_1999 didn't do any sort of primal diet that I am aware of, and she's lost a considerable amount after a PCOS diagnosis.

You're right. I'm down about 184lbs. Now, I pretty much try to keep my carb intake to roughly, no more than 40 per meal (snacks included). That will even out for what I was supposed to have of six small meals a day, which, I've never been able to consume that much food in a day.

I've never cut anything out of my diet. Ever. For me, I knew it wasn't reasonable. I realize there isn't a one size fits all with PCOS but when you're making a total lifestyle change, I encourage ladies to really take a look and see if what they're doing *is* something they not only can do, but will be reasonable and enjoyable. Your lifestyle shouldn't be something you don't enjoy or having you completely cutting out things you enjoy unless you've got an allergy to them.

There are sensible ways to lose weight, even with PCOS, be healthy, AND enjoy foods like pizza, chocolate, and soft drinks without having to feel guilt or go overboard. It's all about finding the balance that works for each person.

Like Popple mentioned, she's got IR and the first signs of PCOS, she's been losing weight with the MFP logging, and eats a variety of foods. I, too, eat a variety of foods. Now, my PCOS is/was so severe when discovered/diagnosed that I am on Byetta and Metformin ER in addition to diet and exercise. I most likely be for the rest of my life,
  • dubird
    Options
    Miss_1999 wrote: »
    I've never cut anything out of my diet. Ever. For me, I knew it wasn't reasonable. I realize there isn't a one size fits all with PCOS but when you're making a total lifestyle change, I encourage ladies to really take a look and see if what they're doing *is* something they not only can do, but will be reasonable and enjoyable. Your lifestyle shouldn't be something you don't enjoy or having you completely cutting out things you enjoy unless you've got an allergy to them.

THIS. For me, this is not a diet, it's a change in how I eat for life. If I change it to the point where I don't like to eat, then I will never stick with it. It's got to be a change you can keep up with for years to come, no matter what that change is! If you won't want to keep up with it, then there's no point in it because you won't.