Weight Lost with PCOS

Options
Any Advice? I was told about this about 3 months ago. Gyno said- take your birth control- no biggie. Now three months later I'm watching a Life Time movies (LOL i KNOW!) and the one has PCOS and is suffering from not being able to get pregnant. So, this was surprising because my doctor told me every month the cyst grow and then disappear with your monthly. She never sat me down to discus complications I would have in the future. So I did some research and noticed that most people are obese with PCOS. Some take medication to help. Anyone else suffer from PCOS that can give me advice. I'm planning a visit with my main doctor who happens to be an internet. If there's any medication I should ask about, please let me know. And before people comment- I should have done research sooner.....Yep I know, but life got ahead of me and I never really thought about it, until now.
- Thanks!

Replies

• freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Many have successfully lost weight with PCOS. In fact, excess weight can exacerbate PCOS symptoms and correlated problems, so getting ahead of the problem now rather than later is a great idea! Many conditions which are cited to cause weight gain cause cravings and low energy rather than any kind of substantial metabolic damage. Just be diligent in your tracking and you'll find it's totally doable.

(I have hypothyroidism and do understand that low energy, but it's pretty straightforward to work around.)
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I've never taken medication for it. Apparently since losing weight my hormone levels have normalized a lot, per blood work less than a year ago. I display a lot of the traditional symptoms, including difficulty conceiving (I've had 1 unsuccessful pregnancy in 10 years of trying) and hirsutism, and very slightly increased testosterone levels. Thankfully I've not had any issues with insulin resistance as of yet. For quite a few years I used PCOS as an excuse as to why I struggled to lose weight, but I know for myself, while it hasn't been an easy journey, it is doable. I guess I don't have any advice really, other than it is manageable and if weight loss is an issue for you, keep on plugging away, it can be done. Best of luck to you!
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It depends. A lot of people (including myself) are obese with PCOS, but not everyone with PCOS is obese. It looks like in your profile that you've been able to lose weight, which is helpful because it's often really hard for women with PCOS to lose weight (due to insulin resistance that often comes with it).

For myself, I have been on Metformin for the insulin resistance and irregular periods, which helped - my A1C has never been in the diabetic zone. I am currently not on medication, but I currently take myoinositol and vitex (supplements) specifically for the PCOS, which help regulate my cycle.

The next time you see the doctor, feel free to ask questions about what PCOS means for you personally and what you can do to manage it. An ultrasound can help diagnose the severity of it. Also, if you are actively trying to get pregnant, see about getting on Clomid. I have a friend with PCOS who was prescribed the drug to get pregnant, and is now pregnant and in her 6th month or so.
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of women on here who've lost alot of weight with PCOS. It's possible. Just search the forums for PCOS and I'm sure you will find more success that way.

I have hypothyroidism, which makes it hard to lose weight when my blood levels are off. Like PCOS hypothyroidism has a delicate balance of hormones that need maintenance. If I don't take my meds at the same time every day it totally changes my cycle.

I wish you the best of luck! You have come to the right place :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Even if you are a healthy weight, it can help stabilize your hormone levels to cut back on starches (white bread, white rice, white potatoes...) and keep your diet focused on the proteins, the veggies and the healthy fats (most nuts, olive oil, avocados, etc.)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    My step-daughter was diagnosed with PCOS when she was 18, I think. She's never been heavy, so I have no experience with that part of it, but her doctor incorrectly told her that due to PCOS she could probably never have children. FAIL. She was devastated. I told her that's not entirely true, but, kids tend to believe a doctor over a parent sometimes.

Anyway, 3 years later she has 2 "oops" babies. Love 'em and I'd never give them back, but ask your doctor tons of questions and get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion if necessary!
  • Myriambaril18
    Myriambaril18 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have PCOS and hypothyroidism. Altough I have been a little overweight (maybe 10 pounds over healthy weight except around pregnancies), now I am at a healthy weight. I've had two babies (with fertility treatments, as clomid proved utterly useless for me). Every case is different : metformin did nothing for me since I had no insulin resistance (was tested for it and it was negative). Apart from the fertility drugs i took to get pregnant, and the synthroid I take for hypothyroidsm, I am not taking any meds.

I think the best (from all I read on PCOS, and I've read it all during the 3 years I tried to get pregnant) is to maintain an healthy weight and reducing refined sugar intake (even if you do not have insulin resistance this cannot be bad!!)
  • happymum37
    happymum37 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pcos 20 years ago and experience many of the symptoms. I don't take metformin now a but I did when I was trying to conceive. This wasn't an easy journey for me (several miscarriages) but have now got two children. The medication made me really sick and made me feel worse than the actual symptoms. In terms of weight loss reducing carbs (bread, pasta etc) has helped aswell as a calorie deficit. The best thing for pcos is to maintain a healthy weight and be as active as possible. I would advise speaking to a doctor again and getting all the information you need.
    Good luck
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Hi There! I'm so sorry that you have a recent diagnosis and your doctor didn't really discuss much with you! Unfortunately, PCOS is such a broad disorder, that it's just not a "one size fits all" thing. It's a complex endocrine disorder, and you will most likely never meet two women who's symptoms and treatments are exactly the same. The GOOD news- we've come a VERY long way with what IS known about PCOS and the variety of treatments available for women struggling. From changes things as simple as changes in diet and exercise, to natural supplements, and medications, we are very fortunate to have options to help lower insulin levels (for those who are struggling with IR- insulin resistance, level our hormones, and combat the other complications of PCOS).

Infertility CAN be a problem for some women with PCOS, but this is NOT always the case. It is a case by case basis, and unfortunately, you will not know until you begin the TTC process. From experience, I can tell you, when I was first diagnosed I know there was no way I could've gotten pregnant at that time. I'd only had one period in a year, and at that time, my body was in NO shape to carry a child. I was barely in any shape to live *literally*. I am a more rare, and extreme case of PCOS, however. Once my insulin levels and hormone levels were in order, even though I was still obese, my periods were like clockwork, and the second month we tried, I became pregnant. I had a successful pregnancy without the use of any type of fertility drugs or treatments.

Some women do need the help of fertility drugs and treatments, and thankfully, we do have these available to us should this be needed.

I'd written up a thread earlier in the year telling a little about my story, along with some basic PCOS FAQ's/Q&A's. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them as best I can.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1448249/diagnosed-living-with-pcos-read-me/p1
  • laurashjess
    Options
    I have PCOS diagnosed in middle school as I had many cysts that painfully ruptured (12 years now), I take metformin for insulin resistance, I have had the most success with a low carb diet. I have tried almost everything with little success, but the low carb seems to give me more energy and help to lose weight, probably has to do with the releasing of less insulin.
  • LadyThanata
    LadyThanata Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank tou for all the replies. My doctor put me on victoza this week. I'm hoping it helps. In very active and run often. I don't eat bad- but nada. No periods still. But my gyno said its to be expected. Anyone have success with victoza?