Climate/weather

Does lousy weather (rain, hot, cold to freezing) affect MFP experience?
I find I get to my wellness center more easily in spring, summer, and fall, but have to force myself out the door when it is below 30 degrees.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    This winter will be my first winter as an extremely consistent gym goer. Last winter was horrible. It was so cold and I wanted to go to bed at 6 pm. Hopefully the dedication I've had all summer and fall won't diminish in the cold.
  • I started working out in the winter....hopefully I will continue through this winter.
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    I just started trying to be committed a month ago. I'm already dreading the cold weather and trying to decide how I'm gonna keep working out. I can't afford a gym membership.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    I just work out at home; problem solved. It's warm, there's music, TV, a carpet to collapse on...

I will miss running though, since I don't own a treadmill and am totally not an outdoor winter runner.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    warriorguy wrote: »
    Does lousy weather (rain, hot, cold to freezing) affect MFP experience?
    I find I get to my wellness center more easily in spring, summer, and fall, but have to force myself out the door when it is below 30 degrees.

Mfp just tracks cals, not sure how weather affects that. Me thinks someone is using weather as an excuse

• socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited November 2014
    First winter here but I have a semi-recumbent bike and it rarely drops to 30 degrees here so I really don't have an excuse. Winters are in general are harder on me because I have hardware in my back so I feel barometric changes. Storms coming and going make me ache more. But that's nothing new so I'll pop an ibuprofen and keep on going best I can.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,611 Member
    I like to figure skater so I get more exercise in the winter cause I go skate outside. Mthen there's the snow shovelling that's good exercise. I guess even though I complain I like.winter
  • Well, it was below 30 degrees and I went to Wellness Center anyway today.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    I live in Florida. I have no excuses. When I lived in the northeast, I had a difficult time exercising outdoors in cold weather. I have exercise-induced asthma, and the cold would make it really hard for me to breathe. Here it is no longer an issue, and the winter is the best time for outdoor exercise.

But I will say, on the days I go to the gym in the evenings, it is harder for me to get motivated when it is already dark outside. Dark = time to get ready for bed.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    It's mid November, and I saw a strangely high amount of people walking around eating ice cream on the street today. It doesn't really get cold in Southern California haha so I don't have to deal with that problem.
  • khakstol
    khakstol Posts: 15 Member
    You know its all about motivation and discipline. A good friend said there are only two good times to go running. "When you want to and when your don't". Today's morning temp was -20C (not sure what that is in Fahrenheit anymore) and it was hard getting started but after about 10 minutes or so I was fine. The great thing about cold weather activity outside is that you can just layer up enough to be comfortable not so easy when its hot. Once you're down to the last layer and then there's the sun damage to consider.
    For me working out in the morning is always the best as it sets the tone for the day so I agree with ifaith that lack of sunlight can be a de-motivator. Living up north our hours of sunlight drop to about 8 hours in winter.
  • I exercised my will power today...in Ft. Worth, rainy, foggy, 59 degrees....I went to Ol South Pancake House anyway for my German Pancake (220 cals) plus syrup (1T 52), but hey, it is my birthday....83 today.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    I actually find it easier to work out in winter. I live in the northern Midwest and we're basically shut in for about 5 months of the year. I know a lot of brave souls do jog and bike ride in the ice and snow but I sure as heck don't. And I don't ski or ice skate. But the gym is nice and warm and I don't get overheated and the exercise keeps the blood flowing so I stay warmer overall.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Does the weather affect whether or not you can take your cellphone with you? Granted, if you are doing cardio and the weather isn't the best, you can still go to malls or shopping centers and even parking lots to get some cardio in. Play with your options. There is always something.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    The gym is heated and the lights are on...nice place to be in the winter. Winter iron is the best iron.

I have more problems in the summer...suns out until whenever and all I really want to do is hang out on the patio with my friends and pop a few tops or play in the yard with my kids. In the winter, there's nothing better to do...so I just get in there and lift my *kitten* off.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    the winter makes me feel like sitting on my *kitten* 24/7

and if its too hot I wont move...so I guess it does
  • splashtree5
    splashtree5 Posts: 210 Member
    I feel like sitting as well, I like winter... Is not so cold fortunately
  • Growing up in Iowa, now in Texas, winters don't bother me unless solid ice stays on for six days as it did when wifey was in hospital last Dec. bummer....but, exercise has to be just a common day lifestyle, like eating and sleeping.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    I tend to stay in more when it's freezing outside, but I still get my exercise eat responsibly. My bad is when I'm hangin with family because everybody likes to eat!
  • HopHead28
    HopHead28 Posts: 180 Member
    warriorguy wrote: »
    I exercised my will power today...in Ft. Worth, rainy, foggy, 59 degrees....I went to Ol South Pancake House anyway for my German Pancake (220 cals) plus syrup (1T 52), but hey, it is my birthday....83 today.

Happy 83rd birthday Warriorguy -- here is to many more.