Wheat over White? Can anyone explain why?

Options
DTetz
DTetz Posts: 109 Member
Why is wheat better then white?

Replies

• MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Because all the fiber & nutrients have been bleached out of white bread.
  • Firewhirrrl
    Firewhirrrl Posts: 144
    Options
    Actually, white flour is wheat flour which has been "separated" and bleached.
    Its pretty and white and can be "fluffier" and easier to cook with, BUT IT HAS BEEN ALTERED, both physically as well a's chemically.

Therefore it is deficient in nutrients as well as has added chemicals.

Otherwise: wheat flour is made in both "bread flour" and "pastry flour".

They both have cooking purpose.
    I buy both, as well as vital wheat gluten.
    To make a bread, I will use 2 cups pastry d
    Flour, and 1.5 cups bread flour and then add 2 tbs of wheat gluten for the amazing soft soup style breads.

A place for good recipes is :
    Epicurious.com

Best luck.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    OK-to expand on this, I use "Whole grain white" sandwich thins. My guess is they are better than just plain "white" but are they as healthy as "wheat" or really what is the difference there?
  • CalPolyBronco
    CalPolyBronco Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You could have a 100 calorie slice of white, and a 100 calorie slice of wheat, but the wheat is going to keep you satisfied & full longer b/c most brands tend to have more fiber. This is what's going to keep you going longer. And to be honest....I'm using the fact that both can be 100 calories but in reality USUALLY the white bread is *also* going to be carrying a higher calorie punch as well.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Actually, there's not very much difference between simple wheat bread and white bread since the flour used in both has been refined.

The difference is in WHOLE GRAIN bread. That's the terminology you want to see on the packaging for the reasons stated above.