Iliotibial band syndrome

Yesterday my hubby and I went on a 10 mile run and at mile 7 my knee started getting super sharp pains on the outer side of my knee running up my thigh to my hip. I pushed through it even though that was probably a stupid idea. It still hurts today and if I make quick movements it send sharp pains from my hip to my knee. I think it is ITBS based on google searches. Anyone deal with this before? I really can't afford to take off too much time from running because we have our first half marathon coming up in less than a month. I am planning on picking up some KT tape before work and seeing if it helps any. Any other suggestions? I've tried putting ice and heat on it. The heat made it feel better momentarily but it hurts again right after I take the heat off.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    I have dealt with this before, it's a pita.

Get to a physical therapist quickly. A light case and a good PT could probably get you back to normal run volume in sub 2 months. Pushing it will potentially increase whatever damage has been done and extend your period of rehab.

Roll it. Roll it on a good roller until you want to cry. Then get a lacrosse ball, and give a nice hard deep massage until you want to cry, and go a bit beyond that. lol. It sucks to do, but at this point, you kinda gotta.
  • dbmata
    I would also add, that unless your running for the money/podium.

I'd let this event go and focus on rehab if it is ITBS. Your doctor will have better advice, tailored to your needs and actual injury, of course.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    General rule of thumb is never self-diagnose a potential illness or injury with Google. It will lead down a rabbit hole that will almost always end in you believing you have some life threatening disease like cancer or some rare disorder only effecting .002% of the world.

Go to a doctor and talk to them about it. They will help you out.
  • khakstol
    khakstol Posts: 15 Member
    All of the above advice is great and depending on your circumstances you should do what you think best. I have found that stretching helps but the best cure is some cross training. Since I have added cycling to my exercise regime I don't stretch as often and have no issues with my IT band. For now I would take some anti-inflamatory meds to get the internal swelling down. Good luck and let us know how things turn out for you!
    youtu.be/_c55IYpoGZQ
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,881 Member
    First off lay off any leg work. Then go see an orthopedist to determine the extent of the injury.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Based on the description of your symptoms it sounds a lot like ITBS. Have you significantly increased your training volume recently?

I had a painful run in with ITBS a few years ago (completely my own fault, ran my first HM a week after a 100km bike ride) and ended up missing 6 weeks of running trying to self-treat it.

I eventually went to see a RMT who had me running again after 2 (very painful) sessions and I've been going to one on a regular basis since then. My massage therapist also taught me how to foam roll properly and use "The Stick" after every long run.

If you decide to see a doctor make sure it's one who specializes in sports medicine, most GPs are pretty useless when it comes to running / athletic injuries unless you're lucky enough to stumble on one who runs.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

Roll it. Roll it on a good roller until you want to cry. Then get a lacrosse ball, and give a nice hard deep massage until you want to cry, and go a bit beyond that. lol. It sucks to do, but at this point, you kinda gotta.

This. And roll your glutes/piraformis with the ball too. Hurts so good!

• beavislong
    beavislong Posts: 46 Member
    What BrianSharpe said. I'd see a qualified phyisical therapist or massage therapist and definitely invest in a foam roller and the "The Stick" Must haves in every runners arsenal. Better to miss your half marathon if you have to than to aggravate an injury and be out for months. Good luck to you.
  • dbmata
    If you decide to see a doctor make sure it's one who specializes in sports medicine, most GPs are pretty useless when it comes to running / athletic injuries unless you're lucky enough to stumble on one who runs.

You make a good point, and one I don't think is stressed enough.

My IT band issue came due to triathlon training, my GP is a sports medicine guy with experience with weightlifters, triathletes and college level rugby. He sent me to a PT who works with the local university's football team. (And only $25 a session, it's awesome.)

Get the BEST help you can, and make sure they understand your needs.