Have you tried The Wheat Belly Cookbook?

Options
Recently, I saw this new book on a show, I am not someone whom has ever tried a diet. However, do to the extreme weight loss and return of energy the dieters lost in two week, it has stayed on my mind! Have you tried it?

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Not the cookbook, but I am GF.

I find plenty of recipes on the internet so I don't feel like I need to buy cookbooks.

I didn't jump into insta-energy or drop 30 pounds in a week or anything crazy. :D Gradually, I became more alert, more awake, my depression went down and so on. But it was no miracle as marketers will tell you (yes, even the good Dr. Davis). I feel that those "miracle" and "instantaneous" stories are the minority no matter what eating plan one is on. They're not the rule, they're the exception. And good for those who are that exception, I am not saying it doesn't exist...I'm sure it does.

I'm not 100% convinced that no wheat is the answer for everybody, but for me - I already knew I had a problem with wheat, it had been getting worse and worse over time. I don't just get bloated or feel foggy; I break out in a horrible painful itch, I get exhausted and I get depressed, and I bloat horribly - I don't just mean my belly (which could just as easily be fat), I mean my wrists, ankles and face puff out so noticeably that people comment on it. I saw the signs literally for years before I stopped deliberately looking the other way, and went GF.

For people like me, I do feel GF can make a difference. As I said, I'm not totally convinced that means it will make a difference for everyone. Give it a try and see how it works for you. :) If it's not your answer, then it's not, but I can't see anything inherently harmful in taking wheat out, so I don't feel it can hurt if it's something you're curious about.

Also be aware that Dr. Davis overlaps low carb with GF; it isn't just a "don't eat wheat and you'll experience these drastic changes" program. The big leaps in weight loss people were talking about may have involved cutting out all grains - wheat, rice - as well as oats and the like, so just be aware of that. And in that case, some of the "big" immediate drops in weight WILL be water.

So if you're interested, you really need to check out some of these books from your library and see the whole picture.
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thank you, can you suggest books or cookbooks. Websites, I am really interested.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    wow29 wrote: »
    Thank you, can you suggest books or cookbooks. Websites, I am really interested.

There's a huge database split into categories on forum.lowcarber.org. Again, those are specifically low-carb, and I don't know if that's what you want to do, but even if you don't want/need to specifically do low-carb, there are some delicious recipes that exclude much of what Dr. Davis doesn't like.

Glutenfreegirl.com also has a lot of recipes. :)

Glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com also has some AMAZING recipes, but she tens to get very complex with her recipes, so I tend to use hers less often (I'm more minimalistic than that) but I am often inspired to do a semi-recipe based on one of her recipes.

Other than that, I Google a specific recipe I'm wanting, plus the words "gluten free," and if the recipe appears sensible (I do have something of a feel for recipes by now), I'll give it a shot.

Much of my food is just naturally gluten free. I don't do tons of "wheat-esque substitute" recipes because those often contain potato, corn, etc. starches that are just as calorie-dense as, or more calorie-dense than their wheat-y counterparts. I eat tons of fruit...veggies...meat...poultry...dairy. But if I do need something that requires just a small amount of what otherwise would be meat, I sub something else for that little bit and just use a regular recipe. I.e. I might used crushed pork rinds or flax bread in place of breadcrumbs in meatloaf and meatballs.

Hope that helped a little!

• wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    thx
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Recently, I saw this new book on a show, I am not someone whom has ever tried a diet. However, do to the extreme weight loss and return of energy the dieters lost in two week, it has stayed on my mind! Have you tried it?

Unless you are gluten-intolerant or have Celiac disease, there is no reason to do this.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You don't need a cookbook for this. Just go online. I don't think cutting out wheat makes you lose weight unless you are simultaneously cutting down calories, too. Don't do GF if the only reason is for weight loss. You'll be disappointed. Unless you have medical reasons to go GF, it isn't worth it, IMO.

After a decade of being sick all the time, and my blood tests always showing high levels of inflammation and immune response, a doctor finally put me on GF a few years ago. I'm on it for health reasons and my plan is to stay GF for the rest of my life because the alternative sucks.

I didn't lose a single pound (wasn't trying to) but I DID go from a size 8 to a size 6 just due to the bloating going away. The best part was not being trapped in the bathroom, violently sick all the time. It was a complete transformation, although it took several weeks before I felt really good. (Took awhile to heal and get the inflammation down.) I'm living again. It's a little inconvenient, but I'm used to it now, so it's pretty easy for me, and totally worth it.

Anyway, don't buy cookbooks and diet plans and expensive GF products. Going GF cost me nothing more than what I spent before, because I don't buy into the gimmicks. Good luck! :)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Unless you are gluten-intolerant or have Celiac disease, there is no reason to do this.

This ^^^
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

This ^^^

this times a million.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Is there a medical reason you need to do this?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Why dont you just try eating clean? No processed foods, no premade foods. Eat only whole meal whole wheat like ezekial bread and just lower your intake of pastas and bread products too. If you gradually do it its easier if you must do it.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

So true. As for finding recipes online, I use pinterest.com to find things that sound good and bookmark them for later. You can easily find things that fit specific dietary choices, like lower in carbohydrates or vegetarian.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Why dont you just try eating clean? No processed foods, no premade foods. Eat only whole meal whole wheat like ezekial bread and just lower your intake of pastas and bread products too. If you gradually do it its easier if you must do it.

Make up your mind... you say no processed/premade, then recommend a premade, processed bread, and "lowering intake" of processed pastas and bread products. Did I miss something?
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

Unless you have gluten issues, it's not worth the time and energy to cook around it.

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Stop looking for quick fixes and extreme results. No I haven't tried as there is no medical reason I need to go this route.