Risk of running or cycling too much

Options
Hi,

I have been regularly running since I am 15 (i.e. between 3 and 4 times a week), and I am 27 now. I would like to know the risk on my body if I keep running that often.

In addition, I also start cycling two times a week. Basically my routine is 3 run (15k each) and 2 rides (45k each) a week.

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Being healthy, aerobicly conditioned, and fit.

Is this a trick question?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Redacted
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'm 46, and I currently run 3 times a week for 15-20 km (working up to 30-40 km), and I cycle about 80-200 km each week. You risk staying fit and getting grief from your spouse or partner for spending too much time exercising. :)

(Not really, in my case; my wife is great, though she thinks my 100-200 km endurance bike rides are a bit crazy.)
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    You crazy boy!! ^^ lol. Well seems fine as you're a seasoned runner. I on the other hand am battling the odd shin splint ( sorted with a change of running form) and now Achilles slight pain ( prob from the change of running form!!) but onward with ice!!!
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If there was a problem with running and cycling then there would not be very many tri-athalons. There are possible injuries that can happen when doing any exercise. You have youth on your side right now. If you have good equipment, and are wearing safety equipment, you might go a long time with little or no problems
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    One possible negative is the surface you run on, harder surfaces such as cement may cause knee problems in later years.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    One possible negative is the surface you run on, harder surfaces such as cement may cause knee problems in later years.

Sorry, not factual. Interestingly people who have been running for long periods of time have lower instances of osteoarthritis...

runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/running-might-protect-against-knee-osteoarthritis

As long as you use good form and appropriate footwear you could well be one of the lucky ones who can run well into old age (I'm 58 and average 40 to 60km per week running)

As to cycling the only risk is having amazing quads. Cycling complements running, is zero impact (unless you fall off your bike) and is also something you can enjoy for the rest of your life.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. I usually run on the treadmill and have a proper pair of running. So I will try to keep with my routine