Helpful running people ... It's just me again!!

Options
Hello lovelies, so bit of background. Completed 5 k and now onto 8 k training. Was starting to get a slight ache with shin splints so with all your lovely advice watched some running drills and changed my running form from a heel striker to a mid foot striker. Thought I had it licked at this point. Got some achy calves so bought some compression sleeves. Totally thought I had it licked. This morning on my run I have some Achilles pain in my left ankle.... Pffftttt!!! So I have iced it and it was ok to run on but I can just feel it. I'm running about 3 or 4 times a week. I can run for 32 mins at 8km/hr. I have started some interval training for 8k so that has 4 one min walks every 8 mins running. I have held back on the speeding up to avoid injury. What do you reckon?? Just an ache?? I don't think its a big problem yet but I don't want it to become one and your advice is always fab :-)

Replies

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Probably still some residual adjustment to you changing your foot-strike... when I switched from traditional running shoes to zero-drop minimalist shoes, it took about a year for me to work out all the "bugs".
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    You need to back off to maybe once or twice a week workouts for about 6 or 8 weeks. Go intense for no more than 20 minutes, and then be done with it.

I had to back off a bit when my knees started acting funny. Running is so very good, but also so very hard on the body, which means you go through periods where you have to lessen the frequency and the time spent. It won't be a permanent measure, but you need to teach your body to endure by building it back up. You don't want to get injured and be totally out a really long time.
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Wahhhhhh!!!! Hmmm... Well my next step is to splash some cash on some running shoes at the store that does all the special gait analysis business. My shoes I've got are good minimalist shoes but I'm up for ideas from them. I think im likely to spend a year figuring out the bugs too lone wolf!!! :-)
  • Edie30
    Options
    You need to back off to maybe once or twice a week workouts for about 6 or 8 weeks. Go intense for no more than 20 minutes, and then be done with it.

I had to back off a bit when my knees started acting funny. Running is so very good, but also so very hard on the body, which means you go through periods where you have to lessen the frequency and the time spent. It won't be a permanent measure, but you need to teach your body to endure by building it back up. You don't want to get injured and be totally out a really long time.

I hope the knees are good now? Don't mess with the knees! As bikram says... You can mess with God but not with the knees!!!!
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Shoes! You might need a little more support since your form has changed.
  • Edie30
    Options
    Yep I'm off to the running store where all my running friends go to get on the treadmill and have them analyse me :-) I'm hoping that's going to do the trick
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Edie30 wrote: »
    Wahhhhhh!!!! Hmmm... Well my next step is to splash some cash on some running shoes at the store that does all the special gait analysis business. My shoes I've got are good minimalist shoes but I'm up for ideas from them. I think im likely to spend a year figuring out the bugs too lone wolf!!! :-)
    If your achilles is hurting you the worst thing you can do is to wear zero drop shoes. You need to get something that will keep your heel elevated slightly since that takes pressure off your achilles. You really need a pair of shoes with a higher drop. Probably at least 8mm.

Also read everything here:
    http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/achilles-tendonitis-and-insertional-achilles-tendinopathy-in-runners/

The eccentric heel drops and the hot/cold contrasting bath have done miracles for me.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Do your cross-training slow and barefoot. Incorporate toe yoga and barre-type strength exercises to reconnect your core with your feet. Turtle steps!
  • Edie30
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Edie30 wrote: »
    If your achilles is hurting you the worst thing you can do is to wear zero drop shoes. You need to get something that will keep your heel elevated slightly since that takes pressure off your achilles. You really need a pair of shoes with a higher drop. Probably at least 8mm.

Also read everything here:
    http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/achilles-tendonitis-and-insertional-achilles-tendinopathy-in-runners/

The eccentric heel drops and the hot/cold contrasting bath have done miracles for me.

Yay thanks... New shoes for sure :-) and thanks for the link
  • Edie30
    Options
    liznotyet wrote: »
    Do your cross-training slow and barefoot. Incorporate toe yoga and barre-type strength exercises to reconnect your core with your feet. Turtle steps!

Thanks Ive been trying to do some barre exercises too :)