Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I ride a Nordic Track stationary excercise bike and also lift weights. I am seeking recommendations for heart rate monitors and apps that sync with MyFitnesPal and are accurate. I purchased a Jarv chest strap monitor for about $30. But it gives ridiculous readings until I have been riding about 15 minutes and have worked up a good sweat. Prior to that it also loses contact with Endomondo on my Android phone frequently. I don't mind spending more if necessary. I would like one that starts giving accurate readings when you put it on.

Any ideas?

Replies

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a problem with the contacts. Is there something you can use to improve the conductivity? Maybe a few drops of saline solution?

Other than that, perhaps you could plan on spending more for reliability. Look into the Polar brand. You might end up spending 2 to 4 times as much as the Jarv but it will work.
  • crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have been using Garmin for awhile now with no major problems. Started with the forerunner 305 and now use 910xt with the hard strap.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Ive had my Polar ft7 about 4yrs no issues had to change batteries once so far it has a chest strap etc
  • jrob200
    jrob200 Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The contacts need to be wet in some way to work right. I used to just run my strap under water before I put it on but now I use an electrode gel which has helped tremendously. I'm using a Polar H7.

As for your phone and Endomondo, depending on the version of Android, it's Android that is not working properly. I had issues with the Polar app and Endomondo. Some of the later versions, I noticed this most on version 4.4.2, have an issue with connectivity to Bluetooth devices. To mitigate I rebooted my phone before I used it for my workout and that fixed it. AT&T recently pushed Android 4.4.4 to my phone, Galaxy S4, and it has been working without having to reboot since that upgrade. At least so far. It's only been a few days.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I have a polar but I don't think it there are apps that sync with MFP. I do love it though and manually add in my exercise.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    i have the polar h7 and use it with the digifit app on my galaxy s5 and haven't had any connection probs since i started with it in april...i sync to my fitbit account that syncs to mfp but i have also used it to sync directly to mfp with no problems. just prefer to link it to fitbit first.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Just picked up the Under Armour Armour39 HRM $29.99 + shipping if you use the code BFSave70 at underarmour.com. Works great with MapMyFitness.
  • Patti1023
    Patti1023 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a Zephyr HxM heart rate monitor, & I use it with my Android phone, it syncs with both MFP & Endomondo. I've had no problems with it & definitely recommend it.
  • hazmat1212
    hazmat1212 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I bought a polar FT7 on amazon (about $70) in August and though I don't eat the calories it tells me it burns, it's motivating ... and retains data which i put into MFP myself under cardio.
    I find the heart rate is accurate (to my SamsungGalaxyS5 heart rate app ... )
    it is not a model that syncs ... you'd need to spend more $ to do that, plus buy the Polar sync module.