question about lifting weights

Options
Ok so ive been in the gym lifting weights for a few weeks now and im loving how i am getting stronger but I do have a question - last week I once again increased my weights. Ill give an example - on the lat pull down, I increased to 40 kg. My programme tells me to do 3 sets of 10 reps. When I increased the weight, I could do the first 2 sets but struggled with the third. Should I keep the 40kg and split my last set in 2 to get the reps in, or should I drop back down to 35 kg for the last set?

Replies

• tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    your program should tell you how it wants you to manage progressive overload.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    it was just a programme a trainer gave me once - i havent had the opportunity to speak to him or any other trainer about it (they are bloody hard to find in my gym!!)
  • onasaz
    onasaz Posts: 19
    edited November 2014
    Options
    How many reps you missed?
    If you feel you will be able to not miss reps try one more time.
    Can you try 37,5 Kg?
    Or best talk to trainer that gave you program.
  • CorbanRushworth
    CorbanRushworth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Does the machine have a 2.5kg switch? If so then try 37.5kg. If not, I would stick to 40kg and do as many as you can in your final set. You'll know you're improving when you can do one more than last time.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Arent there any mid weights i.e 1 or 2kg that you can add? the aim should eb to complete the sets with the last 2 reps being difficult. Just try a variation so you gradually increase. If there are no smaller weights you can add on, then do 2 sets at 35kg and 1x 40kg and switch from one to the other as you get stronger, remembering to keep form. Thats what I do.
  • nessagrace22
    nessagrace22 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    No this is exactly how strength training should be. Do your first two sets, then on the third set do the max amount of reps you can. As you get stronger you'll end up doing more reps in the last set. That's when you know it's time to up the weights again.
    You're not really getting any benefit if each set is easy.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice - there are no mid weights I can add - its a pretty basic gym and the machines only go up in 5kg imcrements. I will do as many as I can in my last set and build up from there - thanks :)