Looking for Southerners...

Options
with lots of weight to lose. Not just 20 pounds, but I'm thinking fifty to a hundred or more. I think our climate down here makes it harder to lose weight than other parts of the country; I mean, 100% humidity 6 months out of the year ?!? And our diet- fried, fried, and more fried. Add on sweet tea and the home of Coca-Cola, and it's just a mess.

I started at 277, and I'm down to 205 in about 14 months. I need some more support if I'm gonna lose the next 55, because I sure ain't getting it at home!

Thanks in advance, y'all ~ Liz

2858698.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    I'm from Mid-Ga, but am currently stationed in Germany with my husband. Boy, do I know about the fried food problem. Heck, those are my best recipes! lol.... But feel free to add me. I have 60 total to lose, but have lost almost 40. Would love to be pals.
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    Options
    I so understand! I was born and raised in Mississippi and now live in East Texas. I have about 80-90 pounds to lose and keep playing with the first 5! Friend me if you want! 8~)
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Well I don't live in the south anymore, but I'm from NC and I grew up there, so I know how you feel. It can't be easy losing weight around there. I'm pretty sure everything I ate growing up was either lathered with butter, fried, or had mounds of gravy on it! I hope you find the support that you need. Have faith in yourself, you can do it!
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    I'm from the great Southern City of Charleston, South Carolina. I'd be more then happy to lend you support when you need it. Us southerners must stick together..lol. The one thing I was not going to give up, when I decided to start getting healthy, was good ol' southern sweet tea. Can't do it. But I do make my tea a lot less sweet then I used to.

Anyways add me as a friend if you'd like and Good luck on your journey.
  • celtickarasu
    Options
    It's the sweet tea that does me in. If I don't watch myself I could easily drink 1/2 my calories.

I'm 5'1" and started at 200 lbs. Supposedly my ideal weight is around 120 lbs., and at one time I was there. Now it's hard to imagine that and thinking about losing 80 lbs is intimidating. Right now my goal is to hit 160 lbs. Once I'm there, I will reevaluate and think about the next 20 lbs and so on and so forth until I feel I am healthy, whether that means going all the way to 120 lbs or not.
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    i am so with you on the southern climate being different....i am in Tomball Texas right outside of Houston. it is almost impossible to workout outside after May due to the heat and humidity and i get the whole deep fried and covered in gravy or other souther traditional foods. they are great and make us what we are as people but make it very hard to participate and stay healthy! good luck on your journey and please feel free to friend me if you like! i have about 150 more to go so i will be here a while!
  • christina4179
    Options
    I am in Mobile Al, I can do without sweet tea until this hot summer afternoons. I make mine with Splenda, I can now drink all I want!!:drinker:
  • Heartedmsgal
    Options
    :happy:
  • Heartedmsgal
    Options
    Ya'll add me, I'm in Hernando, MS and I need friends... : )
  • angijunbug
    angijunbug Posts: 205
    Options
    Totally understand! I live in East TN & in the middle of fast food alley with zero sidewalks in the neighborhood! I have never swelled so much from weather as I did down here. I am originally from Eastern PA. You have done an awesome job so far! You can add me if you like!
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm fried green tomatoes.

I know what you mean. I was born and raised in Houma, La. 45 miles SE of New Orleans (yes, SOUTH of New Orleans). I didn't realize how bad I ate until I moved OUT. Now I'm in Dallas, not really "the south" and not northern enough to be considered "northern" but when I do look back on how I was raised....I wanna slap my mamma for teaching me such awful eating habits. They are hard to break but it CAN be done.
  • ChirishGirl
    ChirishGirl Posts: 111
    Options
    Hey there -

Congrats on your loss so far, that's awesome! I'm a Florida girl and lived all over the southeast growing up. We've bypassed Spring and are full-on into summer! Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like!

Kim
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hi, Southerners - I'm from and living in Nashville. I'm always taken by surprise when traveling that everyone doesn't drink sweet tea with dinner, and that it is a seasonal beverage only available in the summer up North! :smile: Feel free to add me...
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Hey Hey...NC here...BBQ capital of the world. Gimme a chopped plate, RED slaw, hushpuppies and 5 gallons of sweet tea. Oh how I miss my NC BBQ!!!!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    with lots of weight to lose. Not just 20 pounds, but I'm thinking fifty to a hundred or more. I think our climate down here makes it harder to lose weight than other parts of the country; I mean, 100% humidity 6 months out of the year ?!? And our diet- fried, fried, and more fried. Add on sweet tea and the home of Coca-Cola, and it's just a mess.

I started at 277, and I'm down to 205 in about 14 months. I need some more support if I'm gonna lose the next 55, because I sure ain't getting it at home!

I'm up from you 30 miles South of Nashville. Most of hubby's relatives are by you (border of MS & TN - kind of near Tunica). I hear you about the weather. It's kind of nice now, but starting to get humid. Got my first mosquito bite over the weekend and the ticks are already back.

Think positive though - Farmer's market is coming up, fresh veggies from the garden. Nothin better for your diet than that! :o)
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    Y'all are more than welcome to add me :) I'm from New Orleans & now live about 30 minutes away on the Northshore. Very hard to eat healthy here but it's do-able! Sometimes though this girl has to have a dressed fried soft-shell crab po-boy lol
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    <<< Southern girl from Virginia. Halfway to my first goal of 60lb lost, may need to lose another 10-15 after that. Good luck to you :)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I am originally from South Carolina, but have lived in Virginia for the past 12 years. I weigh 247 and would love to weigh 135. Kind of doubtful that I will ever get that low, but I guess I can dream. I love good old southern cuisine, but that is what made me so fat! I struggle particularly during holidays and over the summer when we have cook-out after cook-out! Hard to stick to any kind of healthy plan during southern celebrations! :laugh:
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    i live in east tennessee but am from Florida so Im southern thru and thru! everyone feel free to add me :)

EtA: and i have just under 100 left to lose
  • SaLandrum
    SaLandrum Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I wasn't born in Texas .... but I got here as fast as I could !

I live in The Colony (just north of Dallas) and boy howdy - the summers get really hot so unless you are up at the crack of dawn (nope-not me) or start late in the evening - you wont be out doing anything strenuous ....