Can it be true????

Options
OK, I just mowed on the rider for 2 1/2 hrs. The exercise database saws I burned over 450 calories. How can this be?? I was just sitting there??? Does anyone know if this is accurate? I do not have a HRM (too cheap to buy one!). Please let me know if I truly burned these calories or if it is too good to be true. Thanks!

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's accurate.
    I wouldn't even log mowing the lawn, to be honest.
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think theyre refering to walking, mowing the lawn
  • shouts12
    shouts12 Posts: 87
    Options
    I think it's the vibration - the riding mowers I've been on make my teeth rattle, and the first steps after are woozy.

I wouldn't log it either, but it might be true. It's just impossible to verify because I'm sure it varies with terrain, how many turns, the age of the mower, etc.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i only log exse that i didnt do before i started my journey i see it that what i did before, and what i still do, wasnt enough to lose weight, this includes:
    walking to the bus stop, walking around work, walking around shops etc

I ONLY add exercise that i only do now as part of my lifestyle change, such as:
    the 4mile walk i do along the coast a couple of times a week when I can

But everyone is different - mowing the lawn all depends how quickly you walk, how large your garden is etc
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    On a rider I cant see how you would burn to many calories but you would burn more than just sitting there because I assume you had to turn the wheel a few times in the process. Like someone else posted, I wouldn't count that. I would use them as "bonus calories" as I call them. That's when Ive done extra during the day but don't log them. Basically it makes me feel better about my over all count knowing that my numbers at the end of the day more likely to be right. I use this reasoning because I see MFP as more of a generalization since I don't weigh my food and I don't use a HRM.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I am sure mowing the lawn is walking behind a mower, not riding on top of one. I would not log riding on a mower cutting the grass at all just like I would not log housework, they are not exercises they are normal activity.
  • adristory
    adristory Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    In general, I think all exercises are over on the calories burned estimates. I am sure that you burnt a few but only due to having to steer and perhaps sweating if it was hot out. I would just count 100 max. I sully do end up adjusting way down....on hard cardio stuff I just say 100 cals per 10 mins, which is what I usually burn on a machine when I register the weight/age.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    no that actually have two options in the data base, mowing lawn , general, and mowing lawn , riding mower
  • InMyJeans
    InMyJeans Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    LOL!
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    lol depends on the yard....we have 3 acres we mow but never counted it, might have to wear my bodybugg next time. It's bonus to me :)
  • journeytoahealthy51
    journeytoahealthy51 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I do have a HUGE yard to mow, so I am sure I am burning something, but then I am not doing any other activity while I am mowing, so I won't count it next time. However, I WILL count the raking and weed eating! That I KNOW must burn some calories:smile:
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It probably took it as a push mower. If you have a mower where you just sit, i wouldnt even log it.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I just used my HRM while push mowing the lawn and burned 526 calories in 1hr 7 min. I cannot see how 450 is possible while sitting and steering. If so I am going to start logging driving my daughter to school.