summer heat

Options
how do you exercise in summer we gets days of up to 44C (111.2F) I can't go to gym as I live on a farm.

Replies

• onasaz
    onasaz Posts: 19
    Options
    Is there opportunity to swim?
    I personally avoid any exercise in such heat.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I live in So. California, we had days in excess of 100* F for pretty much all of August & most of September... I just walked. Yeah walking in 100+ degrees can be pretty miserable but I did not want to lose my steam so I just did it anyway, with lots of water brought along. Not the most comfortable thing but there you have it. Swimming would also be good if that's available to you.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I live in Georgia where it gets hot and very humid, too. I will still go walk or go cycling but I get the insulated water bottles and fill them with ice first. Those sips of ice water really help keep you cool and hydrated! And remember that the heat makes your body work harder so you're burning even more calories. I feel like I am doing more since I'm sweating like a pig, too.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    24 hours in a day
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    it's -18 C here...you're better off where you are...just run at night or early in the morning when the sun is down...running in winds that feel like they are cutting your skin is much worse...trust me. I will take 44 degrees to workout in any day over -18.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    thank you for all your great advice :smile:
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm in Florida and the summer temps are usually in the high 90s F with extremely high humidity. I just run anyway. It is much more difficult and the pace is definitely slower, but I look at those days as the hard training days. If you can run in that, the fall weather feels like heaven when it finally rolls around. I just make sure to hydrate like crazy when it's hot. Also, I follow the shady paths, and when possible (which for me is rare) run in the early morning or late afternoon.

The only weather that keeps me from running is lightning and/or freezing rain. Everything else is just character building!