Diet Soda vs Regular or Throwbacks

Options
Ok...so I started a thread yesterday about what people's thoughts are on diet soda since I personally love Coke Zero and drink about 2 a day. I've gotten a lot of responses, good, bad and otherwise....but now I'm wondering something else.

If you're going to drink soda..which I probably always will have at least one a day, which is better for you AND for weight loss:
diet sodas with no calories or regular soda or throwback natural sugar sodas with the calories?

Replies

• shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with Diet and will drink about one a day. Personally for me, I will take the risk with it rather than the high sugar and calories in the regular.
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Agreed, diet is best, since you don't want the blood sugar spike. The throwbacks aren't really any better than the high fructose kinds. I ADORE Diet Cherry Pepsi.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a problem with Aspartame (some people are sensitive to it, while others just don't trust it), I would go with the diet soda. Regular soda is full of sugar and empty calories.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Throwback???
    Sound awful, what is this?
  • miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Considering that the artificial sweeteners in diet give me horrible headaches, it's much more beneficial for me to drink regular than diet.

That said, I've been trying to cut back on soda. I actually voluntarily gave it up for a full week, drinking nothing but my water. After that week, I couldn't drink soda in a can at all. The diets still give me blinding headaches, but the regular tastes syrupy and scratches up the back of my throat. I can drink soda in the 2L bottle, but that's about the only way. And I'll take it, as that means I'm drinking it for a treat and for conscious choice, as we don't keep 2L bottles in the house. ^_^
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    mountain dew throw back yyyyyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmm
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I read in more than one place that the fake sugars in diet drinks actually makes you crave sugary stuff worse. Don't know if it's true or not.

Me, I don't drink or eat anything diet, I stay away from substitute sugars. Partly because I don't like the aftertaste and partly because I don't like the idea of chemical sugars. But that's just me...
  • jknoell
    jknoell Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My opinion: I agree - if you are going to drink soda, stick with diet. If you have to have a regular soda, I have read that there is a difference between how your body burns high fructose corn syrup and how it burns natural sugars. If the throwback actually has natural sugars (read the label carefully), your body can burn that much faster than genetically enhanced sugar, so the throwback would probably be better.
  • missvics
    missvics Posts: 112
    Options
    Throwback???
    Sound awful, what is this?
    They've started making sodas like original Coke and Pepsi with regular sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup and calling them throwbacks.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Me...I'm not going to deny Myself soda; I am a bit "strange," certain things I totally "say" I shall not have, I end up "gorging" on them. So certain things I do not deny Myself, soda is one of those things. I said I will have at least a 16 oz per week and haven't wanted/drank any in 4 weeks. If I want a sweet treat I may drink a regular coke classic (I love those things.)

If you are going to do some type of soda, one per day, you decide what you are trying to accomplish with your nutrition, ie, what will your body do with that sugar (12 oz regular soda has about 145 calories, that's about 9.5 Teaspoons of Sugar/HFCS) can your Body "handle" that EVERYDAY; get a teaspoon and just measure that out in your kitchen to get an idea of what that looks like. Artificial sweeteners MAY have negative side effects on you...do they make you crave sweets and/or carbs, does it bloat you and make you hold weight. What about the sodium content in both. I like to weigh the physical effects (also the psychological and emotional) on Me before I decide what to do with a food or drink that I am so attached to. If it is a matter of life and death or some debilitation, I'll DROP it faster than a red hot coal! And not even look back.
  • Amber824
    Amber824 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was one of those people who said I would never, ever give up Diet Pepsi. It was my one true vice. I would have at least 3 a day. After finding out about aspartame and the secrets most people don't know about (it was turned down by the FDA MULTIPLE times before it was finally approved) and listening to some of the research that has been conducted, I gave it up. I actually gave up soft drinks altogether. Haven't had one since August 2010! :) Also, I was having daily headaches and when I cut out the aspartame, the headaches stopped.

But if your wanting to know which is better, in my opinion, they are all bad for you. I'm not judgmental about people who drink them, I just choose not to.

Good luck!
  • denise_earheart
    Options
    i drink a can of diet soda (coke zero) and a small bag of light popcorn almost every night..... it better than regular soda and a bag of chips I figure!!! there is always that one person who will completely disagree with everyone!!!! I say if you are doing it and still loosing weight then go for it!!!!
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas, but I try to avoid them because soda makes me bloat.