So confused by Macronutrients. Help

Hello, I am new to Myfitnesspal and I am 22 years old just trying to get in better shape.
I'm within the normal range of my BMI but I could stand to lose about 15 pounds. Im currently 136lbs at 5'6 and would like to be about 118-120lbs. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and walk on an incline treadmill for about 30-40 minutes everyday. I will eventually run and walk (HIIT) once I work my way up. I eat my most of my exercise calories back, but only if I'm really hungry. Here's where my question comes in. I have set my macronutrients to Carbs 40%, protein 30% and fat 30%. But if I even have a banana or even one piece of whole grain toast, I am already over my carbs for the whole day. What on earth am I supposed to eat then? This is confusing me so much. Should I just focus on counting calories rather than macronutrients? What should I do?

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Macros for health, calories for weight loss.

I'd also look at a customized plan for you, since 1200 calories is pretty low.
    www.iifym.com
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    I think that when you are just starting out, getting into advanced macronutrients is kind of like putting the cart before the horse - just imo.

When you get to a point where you have created good consistent eatig habits without freaking out about falling on and off the horse, when you are finding it easier to get in regularly scheduled workouts each month - then maybe bump it up to laser focusing on your macros.

Start with getting a good level of comprehension with what you are doing now and then level up to the more advanced parts of nutrition.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    yoovie wrote: »
    I think that when you are just starting out, getting into advanced macronutrients is kind of like putting the cart before the horse - just imo.

When you get to a point where you have created good consistent eatig habits without freaking out about falling on and off the horse, when you are finding it easier to get in regularly scheduled workouts each month - then maybe bump it up to laser focusing on your macros.

Start with getting a good level of comprehension with what you are doing now and then level up to the more advanced parts of nutrition.

It's really not that difficult to count calories and track your macronutrients, so everybody can if they should. If it's too much and it's overwhelming, then calories should take precedent because that's the only thing that matters for actual weight loss, but if you want to lose weight the right way, be sure to count your macros.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    AJ_G wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »

It's really not that difficult to count calories and track your macronutrients, so everybody can if they should. If it's too much and it's overwhelming, then calories should take precedent because that's the only thing that matters for actual weight loss, but if you want to lose weight the right way, be sure to count your macros.
    This. It is NOT hard. Just take more than 10 minutes to figure it out!

Once you have a specific plan, it can then take time to make it work, but it's best to start off as soon as you can.
  • Thank you everyone for your input!