Insomnia and Working Out

Options
Hey all,

I am just wondering if you should still go work out after a bout of insomnia. I went to bed around 6am, it is now 11:30am and I am awake again. I am completely drained, but feel guilty about not going to the gym. I just don't know if it's a safe idea or not. Thoughts?

Replies

• js97206
    js97206 Posts: 15
    Options
    It is safe, although hard to get motivated. I have fought with insomnia all my life, and know what you are going through. I would say to google Navy Seal hell week and read about that. Basically, the Seal trainees go through 5 days of training with little or no sleep. It is a mental test more than anything else. There are no dangers to working out and not sleeping. And for me I found that it sometimes helps me get some sleep. There have been times where I have been awake for more then 36 hours and went and did two hours of hard martial arts training, with no ill affects. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions on the matter.

Jim
  • biancamirella
    biancamirella Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's too big of a problem. It might be good to keep your body reminded of the routine it should be in. Just go and do what you can, don't push yourself more than you are able. I try to go to the gym no matter what because it keeps me mentally on point. "Your body hears everything your mind says" - Naomi Judd. So if you tell yourself you are fine and that you are going to have a great workout, it might just happen!
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I guess my only real concern is that I am incredibly uncoordinated when I am tired, I move like I've been drinking. I just don't want to hurt myself because my body doesn't have the energy to really keep me going. Ahh the joys of Fibro and exercise >.<
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I think I'll just take a walk today, it's not as good as going to the gym and working my tail off, but better than just sitting around alllll day. >.< Hopefully bedtime will come at a normal time tonight. So tired.