2»

Replies

• gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Weighing every bite you take is much more obsessive than most people want or need to be.

If it works for you, don't worry about what other people think. But you have to expect that people will find it odd. It is odd. I do it a lot! But I don't forget that the vast majority of people - fat and thin - do not weight their food.

It is so the kind of thing anorexics would do. It could be an OCD thing, too.

Eating healthy food and/or counting calories doesn't make you anorexic. Being underweight and feeling the need to continue losing weight makes you anorexic.

I won't even go into why it's NOT an OCD thing.... But I don't think there's anything wrong with being accurate in your counting. Especially if you don't have much to lose or are not losing by regular logging (I.e. Cups, measuring spoons, etc.)

It's also important to point out that in countries other than the u.s. All nutritional Info on packaging is done by cals/100 grams. There's no way to measure that other than by weighing.

Since you're not going to go into why an OCD person couldn't get worked up about weighing food (which I totally can - I can even see them splitting a raspberry in half to get the number to be 15 instead of 14 or 16, lol), I will simply point out that I didn't say there was anything wrong with it.

I think everyone knows that different countries use different forms of measuring.

Seriously, that splitting the raspberry into a certain number, is the type of stereotype we are trying to demolish. It's actually hurtful in a way, because it's a misunderstanding. Yes, there can be OCD related food issues, OCD related almost anything, but not in that way. It would more be like having your brain tell you that you must weigh this or that. It's quite hard to explain, maybe youtube can help.

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Weighing every bite you take is much more obsessive than most people want or need to be.

If it works for you, don't worry about what other people think. But you have to expect that people will find it odd. It is odd. I do it a lot! But I don't forget that the vast majority of people - fat and thin - do not weight their food.

Eating healthy food and/or counting calories doesn't make you anorexic. Being underweight and feeling the need to continue losing weight makes you anorexic.

I won't even go into why it's NOT an OCD thing.... But I don't think there's anything wrong with being accurate in your counting. Especially if you don't have much to lose or are not losing by regular logging (I.e. Cups, measuring spoons, etc.)

It's also important to point out that in countries other than the u.s. All nutritional Info on packaging is done by cals/100 grams. There's no way to measure that other than by weighing.

Since you're not going to go into why an OCD person couldn't get worked up about weighing food (which I totally can - I can even see them splitting a raspberry in half to get the number to be 15 instead of 14 or 16, lol), I will simply point out that I didn't say there was anything wrong with it.

I think everyone knows that different countries use different forms of measuring.

rainbowbow, I know you are more informed about OCD than I am, but I agree with Kalikel here

Here is one checklist for OCD
    http://hope4ocd.com/checklist.php

Obsessions with Food and Weight

Preoccupation with foods or food measurements
    Rituals involving food (for example making sure that every bite is the same size, not letting foods touch on plate, etc.)
    Irrational fears that some foods are bad or must be avoided
    Being overly concerned about one's weight (for example weighing one's self several times a day)

Not that it has anything to do with the OP but people may wonder why you are weighing/measuring food.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    I mean, I love the number 9, something feels right about it to me, and I have done things like fluff my pillow 9 times, otherwise it won't be right, so there is a fixation about numbers there but yeah. Anyway this post is going off topic.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    When it comes to my food, there are really only two numbers I'm concerned about. 1.) My overall calories and 2.) my protein intake. Other than that, I don't really care too much. I weigh my food consistently to ensure I'm hitting my numbers in those two areas.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    You'll notice that what happens after an obsession...a great deal of anxiety...and then a compulsion.
    Have you washed your hands today? Keyboards and mice can get dirty in no time.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

rainbowbow, I know you are more informed about OCD than I am, but I agree with Kalikel here

Rituals involving food (for example making sure that every bite is the same size, not letting foods touch on plate, etc.)
    Being overly concerned about one's weight (for example weighing one's self several times a day)

Not that it has anything to do with the OP but people may wonder why you are weighing/measuring food.

I was referring to the OP specifically. Unless she mentioned that it was causing her stress, anxiety, compelled to perform the task of weighing, etc. In my mind it wasn't an OCD behavior.

That's what I was referring to. But I shall not derail her thread beyond this point.

Good luck, OP!
  • heybebe88
    heybebe88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    OP - she's your mother, it's her job to worry about you, say you're too thin, and overfeed you!
  • 3Alice3
    3Alice3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey OP sorry you went through that! I'm posting because I just went through a similar thing! Up until a week ago, ridiculously, I was hiding the calorie counting from my family incase they thought I was OCD/eating disorder etc etc. My mum saw me weigh out a snack yesterday and totally flipped and accused me of all of the above. And my family wonder why I am a closed book :P
  • lorib642
    edited November 2014
    Options

I was referring to the OP specifically. Unless she mentioned that it was causing her stress, anxiety, compelled to perform the task of weighing, etc. In my mind it wasn't an OCD behavior.

That's what I was referring to. But I shall not derail her thread beyond this point.

Good luck, OP!

Thanks, yeah it got OT. Sorry :)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

I split a green bean on my food scale just last night to get exactly 85 grams...
    hope it's not bad! I've been doing stuff like that a lot these past 2 weeks.

• lorib642
    Options

I split a green bean on my food scale just last night to get exactly 85 grams...

You've lost 41 lbs? I think you are doing something right :)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

You've lost 41 lbs? I think you are doing something right :)

every green bean counts!!! :wink:

• vangos7
    vangos7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As several others have said, you are doing something (weighing all your food), that the vast majority of people do not do, or even think about. You should expect people to consider it weird sometimes. Either ignore the criticism, or tone it down when you are in public if it bothers you that much. Your mother is going to worry about you and your food either way, that's in the job description. You are old enough to communicate with her and explain your point of view. Regardless, calling getting an odd look or a comment here and there "ignorance and stigma of calorie counting", sounds like a case of first world problems to me.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I must need another cup of coffee, cause I am so lost here....
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    vangos7 wrote: »
    As several others have said, you are doing something (weighing all your food), that the vast majority of people do not do, or even think about. You should expect people to consider it weird sometimes. Either ignore the criticism, or tone it down when you are in public if it bothers you that much. Your mother is going to worry about you and your food either way, that's in the job description. You are old enough to communicate with her and explain your point of view. Regardless, calling getting an odd look or a comment here and there "ignorance and stigma of calorie counting", sounds like a case of first world problems to me.

I agree. It IS weird to weigh all your food down to the last gram. When people give me funny looks I just say "yeah - I know it's weird and I think it's a pain, but I need to do it - it's a necessary evil"

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Since you're not going to go I to why an OCD person couldn't get worked up about weighing food (which I totally can - I can even see them splitting a raspberry in half to get the number to be 15 instead of 14 or 16, lol), I will simply point out that I didn't say there was anything wrong with it.

If you think that OCD is like that please do some research. Come back when you're better informed.

Here's a simple guide to get started:
    http://www.ocduk.org/types-ocd

You'll notice that what happens after an obsession...a great deal of anxiety...and then a compulsion. Atleast judging by op's response this isn't something that's causing anxiety, she feels compelled to do, and it's not something illogical that she has to do to make it "just right".

Counting calories accurately or wanting to be accurate in your counting is not obsessive.

Whether you're saying it's wrong on not, I'm just pointing out that you are lacking a great deal of understanding about a mental disorder which effectively makes life a living hell.

My point of mentioning the cals/100 gram is that you have NO CHOICE but to weigh if you want to be remotely accurate in calorie counting.
    I am very, very familiar with OCD. It isn't the same for everyone. Different people with OCD have different odd things bugging them.

I didn't suggest that the OP had OCD. I didn't suggest that weighing food means that someone must have OCD. What I said was that it is something that could be done by someone with OCD and it totally could. If you think that all people with OCD have the same bugaboos, perhaps you should spend more time with more people who have it.

Anorexics, too. Not all of them, but lots and lots and lot of them keep track of their calories. They're the people who least need to watch how much they eat, but that's kind of the point of being anorexic.

• gabrielleelliott90
    Options

Good luck, OP!

Thank you, no it's not interfering with my ocd, I'm fine with weighing the food
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    3Alice3 wrote: »
    Hey OP sorry you went through that! I'm posting because I just went through a similar thing! Up until a week ago, ridiculously, I was hiding the calorie counting from my family incase they thought I was OCD/eating disorder etc etc. My mum saw me weigh out a snack yesterday and totally flipped and accused me of all of the above. And my family wonder why I am a closed book :P

Awww <3