It ok to be naughty every now and again

Options
It ok to be naughty every now and again, so if you slip up one day, dont let all your hard work go to waste.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/one-day-weight-gain

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I hope no one has ever believed otherwise.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    it's nice to be naughty...

"slipping" can be pre-programmed or just a "whoops" moment. but absolutely - and totally agree that nobody has ever believed otherwise - it's a part of life.

enjoy, know what you need to do, gather the support needed (thinking of your other thread), and you can do it.
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends HOW naughty and how long for.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    HA!
  • Wronkletoad
    Options
    BrettPGH_ wrote: »
    I say this all the time.

OH! You guys are talking about food. Well that too I guess.

a little. there were also unspoken references to witchcraft and candlewax on the nipples. not just the "chips, dips, chains, whips"

(movie credit)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    personally I can't stand this kind of mentality that eating certain foods is "naughty"...I used to go for all that crap like carbs are bad, no carbs after 7pm, too much sugar is bad, ice cream is bad, bla bla; however, over time I learned that there really are no bad foods, there is just food that you use for energy, and as long as you hit your calorie and macro goals for the day then you can eat what you want, and still reach goals..

however, I do agree that the occasional blow out day is not going to result in excessive weight gain ...I just don't think it should be considered naughty, bad, or whatever to do that. ..
  • canadianvampyregurl
    Options
    Don't let all your hard work go to waste..thank you..i needed to hear that today...feeling off the path today
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    personally I can't stand this kind of mentality that eating certain foods is "naughty"...I used to go for all that crap like carbs are bad, no carbs after 7pm, too much sugar is bad, ice cream is bad, bla bla; however, over time I learned that there really are no bad foods, there is just food that you use for energy, and as long as you hit your calorie and macro goals for the day then you can eat what you want, and still reach goals..

however, I do agree that the occasional blow out day is not going to result in excessive weight gain ...I just don't think it should be considered naughty, bad, or whatever to do that. ..

what he said.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    No one's perfect all the time. Be kind to yourself when you mess up and plan for special occasions - nights out, holidays, vacations. Just remember that "Day ending in Y" does NOT count as an excuse for a cheat day!
  • focusedonfitness2015
    Options
    I'm naughty at least once a week. It's okay...I plan it...and I certainly do not beat myself up afterwards. To each their own but it works for me and I enjoy it :p
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I

I totally agree with this! Eating food you enjoy is not 'naughty'! I think a lot of failure over the long term is due to putting labels on food and one's dietary habits.

The only 'bad' food in my book is the food I don't care to eat!

• awolAD
    Options
    I just started MFP today, but have been using Daily Burn for years (seriously since the beginning of the year). With the help of knowing exactly how much I'm eating on a daily basis and using my once a week cheat days, I've lost over 40 pounds. I still exercise ~4 days a week, but I don't on my cheat day. I saw this message at the top of the list, and I had to share my experience.

Having a designated cheat day is important. It gives you something to look forward to and helps keep you on track during the rest of the weekend. Mine is usually on Friday. But depending on what's going on, I may change it to Saturday or another day of the week. But I always allow that one day, and I schedule it.

Studies have actually shown that it's not only important psychologically, but physically as well. It can help reset your metabolism to help avoid plateaus in your weight loss.

All of this said, it's not a free pass to go completely over the top. One of my weaknesses is a chinese buffet. Rather than eating until I feel like I'm going to burst, which I used to do, I take smaller plates, or only put one layer of food on my plate. I slow down when I'm eating it, and get smaller portions of the options I want. I'm still getting all the fried, sauce coated goodness I love, but I'm don't have to feel guilty afterwards.

Long story short... Enjoy a scheduled cheat day!
  • canadianvampyregurl
    Options
    I say this all the time.

OH! You guys are talking about food. Well that too I guess.

a little. there were also unspoken references to witchcraft and candlewax on the nipples. not just the "chips, dips, chains, whips"

(movie credit)

Love that line!! But I can't remember the movie... that's gonna bother me.

That's from Weird Science :)
  • Wronkletoad
    Options
    ^^ yay! :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    awolAD wrote: »
    I just started MFP today, but have been using Daily Burn for years (seriously since the beginning of the year). With the help of knowing exactly how much I'm eating on a daily basis and using my once a week cheat days, I've lost over 40 pounds. I still exercise ~4 days a week, but I don't on my cheat day. I saw this message at the top of the list, and I had to share my experience.

Having a designated cheat day is important. It gives you something to look forward to and helps keep you on track during the rest of the weekend. Mine is usually on Friday. But depending on what's going on, I may change it to Saturday or another day of the week. But I always allow that one day, and I schedule it.

Studies have actually shown that it's not only important psychologically, but physically as well. It can help reset your metabolism to help avoid plateaus in your weight loss.

All of this said, it's not a free pass to go completely over the top. One of my weaknesses is a chinese buffet. Rather than eating until I feel like I'm going to burst, which I used to do, I take smaller plates, or only put one layer of food on my plate. I slow down when I'm eating it, and get smaller portions of the options I want. I'm still getting all the fried, sauce coated goodness I love, but I'm don't have to feel guilty afterwards.

Long story short... Enjoy a scheduled cheat day!

If it's important to you that's fine. However, a lot of people (myself included) don't feel the need for a cheat day and would rather work small treats into our calories in moderation.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

he_s_right_you_know_by_nightdemon12-d70r777.jpg