Selfies at the gym?

Options
Char231023
Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
I saw a lady yesterday taking selfies of her bicep. My first thought was to laugh (not out loud or anything). My second thought was if you are proud of it go ahead show em off. What are your thoughts on selfies at the gym.

Replies

• Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    I've done it in the locker room while nobody else was there.
  • LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I will do selfies if no one is around. I'm still a little self conscious of my body.
  • 412lexiLEX
    412lexiLEX Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Same here @LeannJeffers
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Well I notice by the time I see the change in my body it is old news to see who see me a lot. Does it show self confidence that the work you put in has a nice result that you like so much to capture in a gym mirror?

I would think so.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    the only time i have taken a picture of myself and myself alone is for the few that are in my profile here. otherwise, i don't take them nor post them on the internet. I will take group photos, but I don't consider them self portraits.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    She probably has it set as her MFP profile picture
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to take selfies at the gym. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with taking a photo of yourself, regardless of where you are.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    I work out at home most of the time so I take one once in a while after my workout. Have seen it at the gym but I don't think I would do it there.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The only problem I have with selfies is you see the camera (or the phone usually) in the picture. Annoys the designer in me.

Otherwise, snap away.
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    as long as I'm not in the background then knock yourself out
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it seems lame to some, but I like to get a selfie from my guy. He owns his gym so there are always people who want a picture with him or opportunities for pics so doesn't feel too random.

I like to take selfies when I can so I can compare them to prior pics as kind of a progress checker. (& usually send to lunk alarm generator mentioned above) I try to make sure nobody sees me do it though! haha
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Selfies allow me to track body re-comp progress
    I don't take them at the gym
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If I don't take pictures of myself, who else is going to do it?
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    yeah..I do it. I like the way I look in the mirror sometimes.
  • shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Self potraits. Shredded selfies. #shreddies

I see it all the time and given our level of social media its nothing that garners any attention. If anything gym goers are actively searching the "gym fails" that are amongst them to post wherever.

I will comment on this and that change is hard to determine at times. When one gets to a lower body fat or closer to goal weight, the changes are subtle but still there and those pictures help. So for those that are merely highlighting their pages so be it, but whether the photographer is yourself or someone that is hired to do them; pictures will always record a moment in time.

They record a certain macro split, a certain lift split etc. I only take issue when someone is trying to take a picture in front of a machine whilst not using it. Clearly there is an empty room with nothing but mirrors elsewhere, go there and take your pictures. Otherwise, I consider this a normal activity.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    None of my business.