Two ways to meet your macros. Is there any difference in between the two?

Options
Example. Calorie count is 2,000 per day. Random figure.

1) No exercise, eats 2,000 but doesn't necessarily meets micros and feels hungry

2) Exercises and is able to eat 2,500 calories but at the end still meets the net 2,000 limits. But in this case, meets their micros and let's say feels satisfied at the end of the day.

Off hand, I'd say 2) would be the better way but is it really better when the net macros are still met at the 2,000 calorie limit?

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Micros or macros? I've never felt hungry because I was a little low on vitamin A, at least not that I know of. If you meant to say "macros," then it'd make a little more sense.

Personally, I like to eat 2,000 or more calories daily, but my net allotment is 1350. So I try to get in enough exercise to earn the extra food. Theoretically I shouldn't be as hungry on days when I don't exercise, but it doesn't seem to work that way for me. I like to eat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Of course #2 would be better.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Micros or macros?

If macros, protein and fat are really more a function of your size, not the calories you eat. You might feel better with more carbs if you exercise more, but I don't think it's much to worry about. (I think it's basically self-correcting in terms of what you will want to eat.)

If micros, again I don't think you need more Vitamin A or iron or whatever based on the total amount of food you eat.

So that all supports (2), but you assume the person doesn't get the macros/micros on (1) and feels hungry. IME, some people feel more hungry when they exercise more, which is why increasing exercise without counting doesn't necessary lead to weight loss for most.

I'm definitely in the "it's better to exercise and be fit, and eating more is a perk" category, though.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    #2 is obviously better. Micros count. They don't get discussed much, but they're important, too. :)
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    When I play ball, I don't feel necessarily hungry afterwards, even though it's one of the bigger calorie burning activities I do. When I lift, that's when I tend to feel hungry after. For whatever reason
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    #2= More food, improved health due to exercise, not feeling hangry...what are the cons?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to know if there really was any difference inbtween the two. But in case of 2), you got to eat more calories. Even though you burned that amount through exercise.