I just posted about walking outside now what clothing to buy to stay warm outside

Options
I just posted about to cold to walk outside. Now I feel maybe I could walk outside but please give me some ideas on clothing and foot wear that would keep me warm. (brand names if possable)

Replies

• fitgirlandfoodie
    fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    What kind of temperatures are we talking? I've just come in from a short brisk walk, wore yoga pants, asics gel runners, a yoga top, hoddie and a high vis vest..its about 7 degrees celius here..When it get's into the minuses here I'd add a second base layer top I bought in Aldi, a light scarf and two pairs of gloves (I suffer with very cold hands..can't remember what the doctor called the condition but two pairs would be neccessary )

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    If you're just walking short distances, like from the bus stop to the office, you don't need all the fancy gear. Just a decent winter coat. But if you want to spend significant amounts of time outdoors, investing in some good gear is worth it.

Where are you located? If you're in Canada, check out your local MEC store. In the US, try REI.

Some general rules: Cotton is bad. Wool is good. If you find wool scratchy, there are merino base layers that are great. If you absolutely can't wear wool next to your skin, there are lots of synthetic options like Patagonia or Helly Hanson. Polar fleece makes a good mid-layer on really cold days.

Get a good hat in something like wool or fleece to keep your head and ears warm.

For outer layers, you can go with down (super warm but bad if it gets wet!) or an insulated synthetic outer layer. Some people prefer a non-insulated shell, so they can layer underneath depending on the temperature.

For walking outdoors, the right footwear is key! Go with something that has a good tread on the bottom so you have a grip on slippy or icy surfaces. Get something that comes up to your calf, if possible, in case the snow is high. Make sure they're treated waterproof, and properly insulated. I have a warm pair of sheepskin boots from La Canadienne that are worth every penny.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,190 Member
    Options
    For winter wear coats need to do two things. First, provide insulation with Thinsulate, down, or other products that are similar. Second, it needs to stop the wind. You can have all the insulation, but if the wind blows through it, it won't insulate at all. I have always like Columbia Outerwear coats as most of them combine these two factors well. Boots should be ones that have some sort of rating for temperature and should be waterproof. I don't have suggestions on brands though.
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    UnderArmour or similar baselayers are great. They're a bit expensive but they last and keep you really warm. Merino wool tights work as well or better but are very pricey.

Merino wool socks from Costco, four pair for $12. Can't beat them. They're too war for summer hiking but great for winter walking and skiing. They also last forever. I have four pair that I bought about 7 years ago that are still in good shape.

Hat and gloves too of course.

Also a down, wool or fleece coat. I prefer down because it's light and really warm. Just don't let it get wet. For down you want 700 fill or better.

I usually don't need anything special for shoes, but YMMV. If running shoes are too cold, or there's lots of snow, a pair of waterproof hiking shoes will help.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    REI is great. Clothing will also vary greatly based on where you are. Someone walking in the winter in Palm Springs is going to dress differently from someone in Coastal Oregon, or the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Brands I like:
    - REI for easy weather, and their silk liners and wool socks are excellent
    - Redhead for heavy wool socks
    - Smart Wool for lighter wool socks
    - Mountain Hardware for good jackets and pants
    - Outdoor Research for shells
    - North Face for gloves
    - Asolo for boots
    - yak track for casual microspikes
    - Hot chilis for silks and thermals
    - LL Bean for expedition weight thermals and flannels
    - Oakley for eye pro
    - Black Diamond for head pro, crampons, axes, rock pro
    - Petzl for rock pro and anchors
    - Blue Water for ropes
    - Burts Bees for lip pro

Wait, what kind of walking are you doing? lol. I'll add this too, do not be afraid to go luxe for a coat and get goose down, it's a good investment, and if you care for it, it will last forever. Also, a nice small thermoball jacket is excellent as well, something nice and lightweight that can pack away in its own pocket. Focus on your feet, keep your feet warm, and the rest of you stays warm. It's real easy to warm your core, harder to warm your hands and feet.
  • segacs
    Options
    Oh yes, and socks. Smartwool makes great socks.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    layer up brands really don't matter. I wear layers and I buy what is cheap or on clearance. I was jogging when it was 4 degrees back in January. Have fun

29509743.png
  • dbmata
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    layer up brands really don't matter. I wear layers and I buy what is cheap or on clearance. I was jogging when it was 4 degrees back in January. Have fun

29509743.png

on that side of the budget, most thrift stores have excellent collections of sweaters for some reason. I know more than a few fiscally responsible mountaineers that buy up any cosby sweater at the goodwill.
  • segacs
    Options
    Hey, I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to have the right workout clothes, whether it be for walking outdoors or any other kind of exercise.

I spend entire days outside in the cold in the winter when I ski. I'm fine in almost any weather because I wear the right clothing for the weather. I would be cold and miserable in the wrong gear and probably would've quit ages ago.

You don't need to spend a lot of money or buy the fanciest brands. You just need to follow a few basic rules re: fabric and layering, and you'll get much more comfortable.
  • dbmata
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Ugh this will sound harsh but I can't help myself. You're not traveling to the moon. You're going outdoors for a walk. I get the feeling You're overthinking this in order to find a reason not to. Just my impression. I could be wrong.
    Hence my question in the other thread.

Can't or won't?
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just posted about to cold to walk outside. Now I feel maybe I could walk outside but please give me some ideas on clothing and foot wear that would keep me warm. (brand names if possable)

No idea what you call cold, but im investing in some insulated jumpsuits and boots I found on amazon. bear mountain brand or something like that.

but im a total sissy in the cold.
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    also want to add:

why walk outside if its that cold? I ran out to feed the livestock today and got my butt back in the house. im only venturing out to walk the dogs and chop firewood if I can help it.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Columbia Omni-heat jackets are the best! I walk, hike, and run all winter long and stay soooo toasty!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Those are pretty good, cheap too.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Is this your first winter in the place you are living in? If not, what were you wearing when you went outside to walk?

Unless this is more hiking and less walking, I'm going to go with what the other people said and say you might be overthinking this.
  • sarahmains16
    Options
    Trust me I live on the gulf coast of texas and it usually is not even cold enough for a jacket, but this year I am having to figure this out. I got wind pants, a jogging jacket, and longer preformance socks. I got everything but socks at goodwill. I got brand name stuff two pairs reebok pants, one columbia with tags, and addidas jacket for less than $30. Layers help with wind.
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you're walking in freezing conditions, I think the key is a good pair of socks. You know what to wear to stay warm, otherwise. It took me a long while to accept the fact that I was going to have to spend $10-$20 for a pair of good wool socks, but they really do make all the difference.
  • GretchenB02
    GretchenB02 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Jacket, boots, hat, layers, but my secret is fleece pants. I've been walking outside. It's already been -1 in MN
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Clothing choices depend on how cold the weather is and how warm you get when you exercise. I generally wear a Columbia shell jacket as the outer layer for wind resistance and pockets (works by itself when the weather is warmer). I vary and layer what's underneath by how cold it is and how active I am--fleece jacket, fleece vest, down or polyester-filled jacket (my fave right now is a lightweight Columbia Omni-heat jacket that reflects body heat back). I wear them over lightweight long-sleeved Paradox merino blend shirt and tights (from Costco). I have fleece riding pants (I'm out doing horse chores and riding in the cold) that, combined with the tights, keep my legs nice and warm. Insulated boots with tread for snow and wool socks for the feet; Head digital touch running gloves (Costco, again) and insulated mitts (if needed) for hands; hat and/or scarf for head and face. I get most of my winter gear (except socks, gloves, and boots) at thrift stores.