how do you guys avoid lazyness and get to it

Options
Ive always had and still have been having problems with being lazy... thats why i stopped losing weight earlier and fell off track, now i want to come back to it but i dont want to make the same mistake.

It's so hard to get myself to do it when i usually spend so much time with school i just want to relax and have time alone to myself after a long day.

Especially now its winter, well at least for us canadians, and the weathers hitting the negatives, its so hard to get myself out of bed , cause its soooo cold outside I just wana stay in.

Is there any advice or tips on how you guys get yourselves to get up and go to the gym , other than force yourself do it. Right now i'm just forcing myself to do it but i'm not happy when i do it. I find it hard to enjoy working out cuase its hard and it makes me want to quit. :(

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    other than force yourself to do it when you really don't want to? Nope. I treat it like a job, set my alarm and get up if I like it or not. It will get easier. Try different things until you find something you enjoy, but at the end of the day you have to make the decision and you have to decide what you want more.......
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to do some workout videos on Youtube? That way you're still inside your home and you can find something that catches your attention. Zumba, Pilates, Yoga, HIIT, etc...
  • dodgethepodge
    dodgethepodge Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I pack a gym bag before bed... if im not up in time to go before work, the bags comes to work and I'm not allowed home until I've been... it's been 1 week and starting to become a routine :)
  • hoshizoraaaa
    hoshizoraaaa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I pack a gym bag before bed... if im not up in time to go before work, the bags comes to work and I'm not allowed home until I've been... it's been 1 week and starting to become a routine :)

oh wow thats a good idea actually. altho becuase my gym is so far away i go to the one in my complex but it culd still work the same way.
    Have you tried to do some workout videos on Youtube? That way you're still inside your home and you can find something that catches your attention. Zumba, Pilates, Yoga, HIIT, etc...
    I alwyas wanted to but my room is really small i barely have space to do that.. but i heard zumba is alot of fun so it helps u workout whlie having fun! :p

Jennloella wrote: »
    other than force yourself to do it when you really don't want to? Nope. I treat it like a job, set my alarm and get up if I like it or not. It will get easier. Try different things until you find something you enjoy, but at the end of the day you have to make the decision and you have to decide what you want more.......

i tried doing that , its just i end up sleeping in, but im tryign to make that become a routine where i wake up early and owrkout before i head to class during the day. i gues eventually i'll get used to it :o
  • bornforbattles
    bornforbattles Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Pretty much decided how much you want something. With no drive or dedication your going to be lazy your entire life
  • Irine_s
    Options
    if money isn't an issue, then try to buy a decent exercise bike (future shop has it for $130) and watch tv while working out :) I know even I too hate going out during the Canadian winter time :(
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    It's colder here than in TO and that isn't stopping me from getting out and doing my workouts. I do change to much more indoor workouts but the weather will always be either too cold, too hot, too wet, too humid, too nice if you want it to be an excuse it's going to give you one every time. The things that keep me motivated is myself and my desire to keep fit and not gain back the weight and if you cannot find a way to motivate yourself then you will always have an excuse.

Decide what will motivate you and then stick with that and get friends to help if possible. Good luck to you.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I alwyas wanted to but my room is really small i barely have space to do that.. but i heard zumba is alot of fun so it helps u workout whlie having fun! :p

Well, I live in a tiny studio and that's what I do. I move the coffee table aside and go ahead. You don't need a whole lot of space to do Zumba. I really love it. :smile:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You just do it when you want it bad enough.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Try and find an activity you enjoy, which makes it less of a chore.
    Set yourself achievable realistic targets. Hitting targets gives you a feeling of progress.
    Believe in yourself and the reasons for why you wnat to lose weight, dont be too hard on yourself but dont be too soft. be form , fair and focused.

Yep exercise sucks when you dont wnat to do it and some of it should be hard becayse thats when you push yourself, but you also start to see results then you know you are along the right track.

Having looked at your profile I see you have a significant amount to lose amd wonder whether its just discouraging being in the gym with people who have les to lose. Thast where you have to toughen up and get on with it or start in your room or figure out other ways of exercising like swimming and walking. Lots of students coomplain they dont have enough time, but thats just an excuse. Students have plenty of scope for making 1h a day 3-5 times a week available for them to exercise in.

Dont forget exercise gets you out of your room, it can increase your self confidence and feeling of well being plus improve your energy levels. It can help make you a more effective student.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You just do it. If you don't, well, you aren't 100% committed to losing weight/getting healthy.
  • Gmtribble90
    Gmtribble90 Posts: 463 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have a love-hate relationship with Jillian Michaels 30DS. It's a little tough, but in my case, I started to see results fairly quickly (talking like 2 weeks). Before I turn it on, I jog in place for 15-20 mins (sometimes more if I'm REALLY feeling it lol) and then go on with it. After I'm done, I normally feel extremely accomplished and it's helped me tone my body a bit while losing pounds :). The results are my key motivation to not be so lazy.
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Understand that it's going to suck at first. You're going to have days where you don't want to do anything. You'll probably hate it - there are a lot of people like that. I'm like that sometimes. But here are some of the methods I've used to get my *kitten* in gear.

1. Take my gym clothes with me to work - I have no excuses for going home before going to the gym
    2. Psych myself up into going to the gym by telling myself how much I'll get accomplished
    3. Bribe myself with a nice hot shower, sit in the sauna or sit at the massage chair after the workout.
    4. Guilt myself into going, telling myself that if I don't go, I'll lose my progress.
    5. If all else fails, I'm spending money for the privilege of going to the gym, I'd damn well better use that money for good.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I am also lazy and like staying inside my small room during Canadian winters.

What I do is I have one of these:

k2-_1bddbfdb-4b76-443b-ac1c-57a7b4797cb8.v1.jpg

it cost me like $30 at Canadian Tire. np.

I sit on a chair and I watch TV or read or play a game that doesn't take too much of my focus, and I pedal while I'm doing it.

It honestly isn't an amazing burn (mfp says ~300 cal/hr; I think they're overestimating it) but it's better than doing nothing and it doesn't really feel like a chore.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You just do it. If you don't, well, you aren't 100% committed to losing weight/getting healthy.

This. Just do it. Mind over matter. You're sabotaging yourself already by labeling yourself as "lazy." Start saying to yourself "I'm NOT lazy!" "I WILL/CAN do this" Positive thinking goes a long way!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    If you don't do it now then next year you'll be here asking the same question of people who have all reached their goals while you were sleeping in.
  • hoshizoraaaa
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »
    I am also lazy and like staying inside my small room during Canadian winters.

What I do is I have one of these:

k2-_1bddbfdb-4b76-443b-ac1c-57a7b4797cb8.v1.jpg

it cost me like $30 at Canadian Tire. np.

I sit on a chair and I watch TV or read or play a game that doesn't take too much of my focus, and I pedal while I'm doing it.

It honestly isn't an amazing burn (mfp says ~300 cal/hr; I think they're overestimating it) but it's better than doing nothing and it doesn't really feel like a chore.

oh thats pretty coool, never seen those before :O

---

and yeahh, right now i just force myself to go . i was just wodnering if there are other ways you guys make urself go other than ur mind saying do it. im trying to make it a hobby but right now im not enjoying it :neutral_face:
    seems like alot of people take their gym stuff with them and cant let themselves go without using them at the gym. think ill try that :]
  • hoshizoraaaa
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    If you don't do it now then next year you'll be here asking the same question of people who have all reached their goals while you were sleeping in.

yeahh, thast wat i try to think of when i get up in the mornings to run.
    hopefully this time i become more committed while not being so stresesd over it at the saem time :D
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I love going to the gym, it's a highlight in my day, so I don't really struggle with laziness in regards to going. The best thing for you to do is find something active you enjoy doing so it's not such a "chore" for you to do. Every person I've known who struggled going to the gym, for whatever reason, eventually quit.
  • Torontonius
    Torontonius Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    This is simple psychology. Carrot and the stick.

If the "carrot" isn't big enough (eg: the rewards for being fit) and/or the "stick" doesn't hurt enough (eg: the bad things about not being as fit as you can) then you won't do anything.

So you need to mentally frame your carrots and your sticks and find some internal motivation, otherwise why bother living.

Set goals. Achieve goals. Set new goals. That's the purpose of life. That, and having fun while you do it.