Which split should I do?

Options
Hey all, so I'm in a little bit of a jumble...

I'm in a mix up of which to choose of three splits:

- 5 day (each muscle group) split, weekends off. (Strength + Hypertrophy training on same workout)

- 3 day/rest/3 day split (3 day hypertrophy, rest, 3 day strength, rest)

- PHAT split (similar to layne norton's and the likes)

Just to clear things up, my goal is to gain size (overall obviously) but with specific impact on my shoulders & arms (something that's been lacking lately)

My diet is perfectly fine, following my given macros and been adjusting them throughout the past 2 years to what my body needs.

Do you perhaps have any advice/input/suggestions on what you possibly think would be best for my goals?

look forward to hearing from anyone and everyone with decent input :) Thanks

Replies

• Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Might have better luck on BB.com
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    PS - IMO, your shoulders & arms are not lacking ;)
    - Good luck!
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Any of those splits are good. Just pick one and stick to it. I'm doing a 4-day/week program but, because of my work/home schedule, sometimes I lift Mon, Tue, Thur, Sat....sometimes it's Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun...etc. As long as you're lifting and your diet is on par, you will be fine.

TL;DR: You're overthinking it.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    Any of those splits are good. Just pick one and stick to it. I'm doing a 4-day/week program but, because of my work/home schedule, sometimes I lift Mon, Tue, Thur, Sat....sometimes it's Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun...etc. As long as you're lifting and your diet is on par, you will be fine.

TL;DR: You're overthinking it.

Basically this.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Tyrrone, I don't know if you are still looking for answers. But if you are, you might try post the question in the group called: "Eat, train, progress." It's here on MFP, in the groups section. There are tons of very knowledgeable people in that group. You would get more opinions there, probably, though, I must say, you've already gotten the best advice here -- just pick one, work hard, and stick with it.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • bornforbattles
    bornforbattles Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Do your weak areas twice a week with a 3 day split. It's takes a lot but worth the energy. I use a split of:
    chest/back
    quads/hams
    shoulders/abs/calves
    biceps/triceps
    rest
    chest/back (high volume)
    quad/hams/calves (high volume)
    rest

But there's no set way.
    "Overtraining? No you mean over-pouring, you must've poured 2 cups of sand into your vagina instead of 1"
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Do your weak areas twice a week with a 3 day split. It's takes a lot but worth the energy. I use a split of:
    chest/back
    quads/hams
    shoulders/abs/calves
    biceps/triceps
    rest
    chest/back (high volume)
    quad/hams/calves (high volume)
    rest

But there's no set way.
    "Overtraining? No you mean over-pouring, you must've poured 2 cups of sand into your vagina instead of 1"

Sorry, I'm totally confused, can you break this down for me (I may be reading it wrong).

You said three-day split, then gave an eight-day week of workouts that aren't a three-day split. Can you please explain? Thanks!
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Keep it simple. This split is working really well for me:
    Day 1: Upper Body -Weights- (followed by cardio).
    Day 2 Lower Body -Weights- (followed by cardio).
    Day 3: Rest (cardio).
    Repeat.

Note: cardio is 40 minutes for me keeping my heart rate at my anaerobic threshold most of the time.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Banana. Always the banana split
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    SaintGiff wrote: »

I split my pants once ... well, maybe twice but just not the same pair.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    jbach2 wrote: »

There is also the classic lickity split. Lickity splits should never be overlooked.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    jbach2 wrote: »

There is also the classic lickity split. Lickity splits should never be overlooked.

I assume the lickity split must come after the pants split?

Anyway, I started PPL/rest alternating hypertrophy and strength about 3 weeks ago. I'm enjoying it more than past routines, which I think is a big factor. More pleasure = more push.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    what have you been doing previously? How has it been working? WHy are you changing?

To grow, you need more total volume over the week/month whatever with adequate rest and calories.

Pick the program that you enjoy the most that allows for the above. (and you can fit into your schedule)

Personally, I like upper lower splits over 4 days for most.
    Something like:
    Mon: Upper (heavy horizontal press, lighter vertical press)
    Tue: Lower (heavy quad dominant, lighter hamstring dominant)
    Thu: Upper (heavy vertical press, lighter horizontal press)
    Fri: Lower (heavy hamstring dominant, lighter quad dominant)
    Fit lighter isolation stuff in wherever you want as well as core work.
  • chrisdavey
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Or just run sheiko :stuck_out_tongue: 29,37,32. Add rows/pullups every day and some OHP if you want. You will get bigger and definitely stronger :)
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Smolov
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    jayche wrote: »
    Smolov

Made me think. Forgot to ask how long you have been training for and current lifts?

Smolov jnr is only 3 weeks and not suitable for people who are not used to high frequency training. Also, it's more of a peaking program (as the volume and intensity are increasing whereas they would typically be inversely correlational)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    chrisdavey wrote: »
    jayche wrote: »
    Smolov

Made me think. Forgot to ask how long you have been training for and current lifts?

Smolov jnr is only 3 weeks and not suitable for people who are not used to high frequency training. Also, it's more of a peaking program (as the volume and intensity are increasing whereas they would typically be inversely correlational)

Indeed!