Shaky

Options
How do you deal with blood sugar drops? I'm not underweight, but there are certain times when I'm not hungry and still feel shaky. It kinda scares me.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I don't get them any more. I eat enough. I fuel my body. And I limit added sugars. Because my meals truly nourish me, I don't really get them any more. You need to eat enough, and eat in a way that suits your body.

ETA: I used to get them. sweaty, shaky, sicky, NOT FUN. I used to get them when I had a sugary nonsense breakfast, about 11am it would hit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Then you need to eat a little something. Your body is telling you something with the shaking. Try a spoonful of peanut butter or anything, just so you're taking care of yourself.
  • findingmyw1ngs
    findingmyw1ngs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I usually chew some gum or have a mint
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

That's not food! Eat real food, OP...protein, fiber, and fat are good for the shakes.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the doctor about this? Do you have hypoglycemia?

I am a diagnosed hypoglycemic. Some tips are:
    • Eat every 2-3 hours.
    • Never eat carbohydrates alone- always pair with protein and fat.
    • Do not eat simple carbohydrates. They cause blood glucose to spike and then drop… causing a roller coaster effect.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

^This does not work for someone experiencing hypoglycemia.
  • Original_Beauty
    Original_Beauty Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have hypoglycaemia (non diabetic) what i find helps is carbs and healthy fats. Half peanut butter sandwich helps (or if it is bad a whole one) or full fat greek yogurt helps, or a handful of nuts really works too. :)
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the doctor about this? Do you have hypoglycemia?

I am a diagnosed hypoglycemic. Some tips are:
    • Eat every 2-3 hours.
    • Never eat carbohydrates alone- always pair with protein and fat.
    • Do not eat simple carbohydrates. They cause blood glucose to spike and then drop… causing a roller coaster effect.

^^^^ This

I would ask your doctor.
  • ddm1111
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I don't have hypoglycemia, but I do know I have to eat more. I usually eat later in the day so maybe I'll try eating a little bit earlier!
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I feel that a lot. I will have just eaten and feel so shaky that I can barely stand up. I'm not sure if it's blood sugar or what, but it happens daily. I'm not underweight either and it's pretty annoying!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    ddm1111 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice! I don't have hypoglycemia, but I do know I have to eat more. I usually eat later in the day so maybe I'll try eating a little bit earlier!
    What would you cause the low blood sugar causing the shakes then?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    How do you deal with blood sugar drops? I'm not underweight, but there are certain times when I'm not hungry and still feel shaky. It kinda scares me.

When you eat well for a good period of time, it isn't an issue.

Unless you have a medical issue.
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The tips above from the people with hypoglycemia are spot on. Anyone can get hypoglycemic depending on what they have/have not eaten.

Try to avoid eating by themselves foods high in sugar or that your body will convert immediately to sugar and break down. For me, that means avoiding eating things like white bread, pancakes, fruit flavored yogurts, bananas, and ice cream, as a meal or snack. My body breaks them down immediately, my blood sugar spikes, and then plummets leaving me hungry and irritable and, at worst, shaky. I'm far better off eating something packed with protein.

Pay attention to what you're eating before you get the shakes and you'll be better able to control it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't get shaky.

You should consider seeing a doctor if you get shaky.
  • Floridanudist
    Floridanudist Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything that has ingredients on the label that you do not recognize. Make sure you eat enough of this sort of food and you will be fine.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I get this too. I cope by eating my breakfast later (around 10:30) as then lunchtime is closer as I cannot seem to go more than 3 hours without getting shaky once I start eating.
    and eating low carb high protein also helps.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

no
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I have hypoglycaemia (non diabetic) what i find helps is carbs and healthy fats. Half peanut butter sandwich helps (or if it is bad a whole one) or full fat greek yogurt helps, or a handful of nuts really works too. :)

helps in the moment? or the long run. For the long run: the right kind of carbs makes all the difference. The wrong kind just make it worse.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    if i start getting shaky i eat a little something, whether it be a bit of pb or a couple handfuls of kettle corn or some pickles. just a little something to hold me over until my next snack or meal
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Please go to the doctor.