Extreme food budgeting

Options
I'm leaving my job (not entirely of my own volition, but, well, oh well) January 1 and don't have a new job lined up yet. Which is sort of fine with me, because I have a few freelance illustration projects I need to focus on that pay moderately well. But freelance jobs generally don't pay until the job is over, so I'm going to have a wait period during which I'll be broke, not really bringing in income.

I have been yoyoing with my weight recently, and I don't want to go over the edge while I'm broke via eating ramen and Easy Mac instead of real meals. But I've never been particularly good with budgeting.

Can you give some tips on how to eat (vegetarian) on a budget, and healthily? Or tell me about your own similar experiences and how you handled them?

Replies

• mawkishstoic
    mawkishstoic Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Rice. Beans. Lentils.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Aldi food stores (if you have them) have always been the lowest price for fruits/veggies. They also have good prices on peanut butter, yogurts, etc. Go with frozen veggies, you can usually get a bag for less than $1 if you get them on sale. Dry beans are a great source of fiber/protein/complex carbs. Instant oatmeal is a good bet for breakfasts and you can alter it with raisins, fruit, cinnamon, etc.
  • smandymail
    smandymail Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian on a budget as well :) Actually, a freelance writer! LOL. My staples are peanut butter, double-fibre bread, dried beans, onions, garlic and canned tomatoes. Also, throw in some whole wheat pasta. You can do lots of things with all of these and you'll get plenty of fibre and protein.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Start stocking up now on frozen veggies, and rice, etc. Start trying out recipes that you can cook in a larger batch and freeze into smaller individual serving sizes.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Aldi food stores (if you have them) have always been the lowest price for fruits/veggies.

Ah, there are none near me (I live in Queens). There's one in Harlem, but it'd take forever to get to, and I'd need to pay for the subway. Always hearing good things about this place, though.

• krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    smandymail wrote: »
    I'm a vegetarian on a budget as well :) Actually, a freelance writer! LOL. My staples are peanut butter, double-fibre bread, dried beans, onions, garlic and canned tomatoes. Also, throw in some whole wheat pasta. You can do lots of things with all of these and you'll get plenty of fibre and protein.

How long have you been freelancing? Is it a tenable long-term job?
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    When things are a bit tight for me, I make big pots of homemade soup. Lots of veggies, mushrooms, etc. I make them thick like a stew. Warm and satisfying, cheap and filling. Just about any veggie will do, plus a bullion cube or two, and there you go. Throw in rice of noodles too if you want.
  • justlosingtheweight
    Options
    Soup :3 with winter creeping in, oatmeal would be good for breakfasts. Soups are reasonably cheap, could even try making your own. Also. Buy things that are on special offer, check all your stores to find out which is cheapest and what deals are on. Rice, pasta, noodles etc stretch a long way and theres so many different sauces to put with them. Oh and coupons. If you have a printer. Look online for coupons you can use at stores in your area ^•^
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Next time you're employed, consider yourself broke while you're living paycheck-to-paycheck. Once you have 6 months of expenses in the bank, you're no longer broke and can start spending again.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    "frugal recipes" is the magic google search for this. It will lead you to lots of links for just this topic.
  • VegetalienPleurnichard
    Options
    frozen vegetables are your best friend.
    Bulk rice and beans too.
    There's sites online that you can look up coupons and stuff and print them off for free.
    Also make sure to always check your local stores for the best deals and sales!!
    Fresh fruits are a lot cheaper than frozen ones and if your store has them, get the discount ones that are ripe; go in the mornings to get the best ones before they're gone!!
  • itsMcKay
    itsMcKay Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Make your own potato meals.

Potato soup is awesome. 1 whole yellow onion (roasted in a little oil), vegetable bouillon cubes, unsweetened plain almond milk, ranch powder, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, butter, dash of nutmeg, dried herbs.

Broccoli-stuffed baked potatoes.

Also, anything with eggs. I do one or two whole eggs and three or four whites stirred into frozen veggies. A little flavored popcorn seasoning and it's awesome.

Slow-cooker black beans rock and are killer for protein.

Greek yogurt is basically a condiment in our house. Buy a 32-oz. container for $4 and it will last you a week if you use it like mayo or sour cream. Greek Gods is the best tasting brand, if you can find it. You can thicken it up into a cheese by stirring in 1/2 tsp. salt and hanging it in cheesecloth so they why drips off overnight in the fridge. It's Lebanese cream cheese called Labneh and it's amazing. You can cook with it like creme fraiche.

Spinach is great for iron. Buy a huge bag from Costco for like $6 and use it in everything. Salads, omelettes, soups, etc.

Get all purpose flour, sugar, cornstarch, salt, butter, olive or canola oil, baking powder and you can make your own bread and cookies and thicken up soups and stuff.

Pasta is excellent and cheap as hell. The dry packets of gravy/sauce mixes in the pasta aisle are mad cheap, as is canned pasta sauce. Add frozen peas, cauliflower, broccoli, whatever. Get a super cheap bottle of white wine (something like Two Buck Chuck) and do white wine, butter and a little salt and pepper with vegs.

OMG I could go on and on. The eight years I was vegetarian, I was also broke! lol

Hope these suggestions help.
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Don't forget salsa! Salsa makes everything taste better. You can't have rice and beans without it.

You can often find large quantities of tofu at Chinese grocery stores. It's much cheaper. I've also found really cheap gluten at ethnic food stores (use it to make your own seitan).

Everyone else's tips are perfect.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    There's an Aldi in Queens! Lefrak City, I believe -- worth the trip if you can make it.

I'd also highly recommend ethnic markets. For example, limes at my "fancy" grocer are 3 for $1, but they're 6 for $1 at the Mexican market. Little things like that add up fast!
  • consideritdonemi
    consideritdonemi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions above. Definitely build your pantry items, dry goods, and spices, sign up for rewards and loyalty programs, know what to eat seasonally, and plan your meals ahead of time and around sales. My local store doubles coupons up to 50 cents. Start to learn where the clearance sections of the stores you frequent are (this includes the produce section). I love my breadmaker. You can get them secondhand for cheap. I only use it to make from scratch dough (bread, pizza, stromboli, calzone, rolls) and do my baking in the oven. You can also freeze the dough. Think about growing eabsy veggies and herbs inside, on a fire escape, or windowsill. Cheap tea bags can make lots of iced tea.
  • consideritdonemi
    consideritdonemi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    On days you want to hit a restaurant, be sure to sign up for free email notices for exclusive discounts and birthday perks.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I'd probably just live off rice/frozen veg, beans and a slow cooker. Some money used for the various flavourings. You will likely be low on protein. I'd also add some sort of oil in there for a cheap fat source.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Rice. Beans. Lentils.

Shop the bin section of your market for the items listed above.

I would also add oats.

I would also try to buy one fresh green leafy veg and at least one piece of fresh fruit per day.

Or if you will have access to a freezer- often frozen fruit and veggies are good as well. They are reasonably priced. Especially if you buy the store brand.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are yummy and cheap.

Eggs, potatoes and yams.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    PS Also, at my store pop corn is sold in the bulk section and is less expensive than packaged.